Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I don't fear covid" lol

In a quick search, all I can find is that the new UK variant currently isn't affecting children any differently.

And Knehrke, one more admittedly springtime share just to show how much more transparent data was in the early days, with NYC actually posting daily data for public consumption that illustrated just how critical of a role comorbidities played AND how much more heavily hit the elderly were being hit by the disease. Try finding such clearly shared data for public consumption now... I'll wait... heck, it's challenging to find now without doing detailed journal searches and with many of those studies being done outside of the US.

050520 NYC Covid.jpg

NYC Covid Age Chart (2).jpg

And now for a complete switch of gears to the anecdotal side, but funny how both NFL and college teams have had countless players and coaches infected by covid, but hardly any deaths (would bet big money on it rounding to 0%) and despite the dire warnings of "we don't know what we're facing!" with follow-up disease complications, the vast majority quickly have returned to playing sports effectively at the most elite of elite levels.

Anecdotal, sure, but with more data to back it up by the week -- not exactly like each week we're seeing players who had covid and have returned drop to the ground with fatal cardiac events, coughing up lungs, or showing any sign of long-term consequence beyond, again, quickly competing at elite levels.

Though as a South Carolina native who hates Clemson, maybe covid hurt Trevor Lawrence's throwing skills, surely to the joy of many Buckeye fans! :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
How dare you dispute fear with facts...

Sure long term side effects arent known yet, which is a scary thing, but either are the long term side effects of the vaccines, yet we are pushing for everyone to get them, without much testing!

94b9431dd5a746b7ec86edacd8e52bd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, BigBend, I simply can't compete with your incredible use of capitalization. But I will try. Oh, look, that took me all of 30 seconds to find current literature on Pubmed speaking to the point you wanted me to address. One among many. And yes, among the primary literature. Which is where any good scientist STARTS their search (see I can emphasize using capitals too lol).

Is it possible that you didn't consider mortality in the black population? When you're a data-driven scientist, details like this matter. What else didn't you consider in your superficial analysis? Please, next time, don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Remember, all I've been saying is don't dismiss what we don't fully understand yet. Is that so hard a point to grasp? Or do you think that you have all the answers? If so, please share them. But with someone else. I'm going back to the habitat side of things. I agree with you on one point for certain. I suspect that I have little chance of influencing anyone's opinion. This is not a productive use of time.

1609859761241.png

Last edited:
Wow, BigBend, I simply can't compete with your incredible use of capitalization. But I will try. Oh, look, that took me all of 30 seconds to find current literature on Pubmed speaking to the point you wanted me to address. One among many. And yes, among the primary literature. Which is where any good scientist STARTS their search (see I can emphasize using capitals too lol).

Is it possible that you didn't consider mortality in the black population? When you're a data-driven scientist, details like this matter. What else didn't you consider in your superficial analysis? Please, next time, don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Remember, all I've been saying is don't dismiss what we don't fully understand yet. Is that so hard a point to grasp? Or do you think that you have all the answers? If so, please share them. But with someone else. I'm going back to the habitat side of things. I agree with you on one point for certain. I suspect that I have little chance of influencing anyone's opinion. This is not a productive use of time.

View attachment 33153

LOL, Knehrke, talk about comparing apples to oranges... without you going through the details of what you've actually shared, you link an article that by title clearly sets out to compare outcomes of those limited to being hospitalized, then throw in the far-left curveball of me evidently being a racist for not caring about the black population. If you want me to admit that those hospitalized with covid face far more dire risks than those hospitalized with flu, I'm 100% in agreement.

For those following, this isn't what I challenged you with at all, which was to critique the infectious fatality rate among the age groups under 50, which again as you are (or at least sure should be) aware would include those infected who never went to a hospital, those with very mild symptoms, those who actually were infected but completely asymptomatic, and all those who weren't tested early in the US due to lack of symptoms.

And since you threw the timing insult at me, just as FYI the data for your study ended in June, when few asymptomatic folks in the US were getting tested.

Try again, and how about this time directly speak to my challenge by specific age group on a wide-scale data basis versus cherry-picking an extremely misleading comparison., and by all means use the latest data which will include an increasing subset of those asymptomatic now getting tested at increasing rates (though still at lower rates than small countries such as Iceland trying to test ALL their citizens). Apples to apples, show some major disagreement as relates to infectious mortality rates among the masses... point to wide data studies painting any mortality rate for those under 10 that rises above a number that rounds to zero, or for that matter is dramatically alarming before age 50... again, I'll be waiting...

PS - started my college career as pre-med student, helped the Doc/Mrs when she was in med-school by doing tons of pre-cursory pubmed searches for her/ reading journal article to dig through the weeds to help her find the best articles for her subsequent review, and have worked with her 14 years now helping her manage her specialty practice which is consistently voted within the top 2 of her field in our area. And before helping her run her practice supervised statistical analysis for almost 20 years in manufacturing settings. None of that to argue I'm an iota more qualified than you -- I don't suspect that for a second. Instead only to say I find it mystifying that you can't follow the seemingly simple challenge I've laid out -- that covid doesn't have that high of an infectious mortality rate for those under 50 lacking serious comorbidities. I suspect you do appreciate the simplicity of the challenge, but just can't bear to admiit the clear answer -- which you almost did when I shared posts #3,263 and #3,264... almost... just couldn't quite bring yourself to do that, as that might have lowered the scare / alarm factor a bit.

And as for bringing a knife to a gun show, I'm ok sticking with the knife if you're going to bring another gun like the share above -- one with orange paint at the tip that proves to be a fake gun. :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Summarizing long post above, Knehrke, I'd truly be interested in seeing you speak to how you can dismiss any data/chart I shared, those primarily being:

1) very detailed early NYC data that showed a tremendously strong correlation between advancing age, comorbidities, and death (as did data from numerous other countries)
2)the NYC data, data from multiple countries both early on and even more so subsequently (such as the sweeping Iceland study) pointing to relatively low morbidity for those under age 50, especially in the absence of comorbidities

Not asking you to speak to anything else! Just that. Will see anything else as a red-herring as relates to your critique of my shares. As for long-haul risks, risks among smaller subsets (such as only those hospitalized, race, etc).. those are other points I didn't bring up / you can speak to separately without casting any shade on what I shared.

Last edited:
Bill, I totally respect your right to disagree with me, and if we're talking about cumulative numbers of dead this century, then you are 100% correct that there are worse villains out there. And who said the earth isn't flat (and carried on the back of a turtle and four elephants lol).

And I will respond directly to SD by saying: I agree! Lockdowns are NOT THE ANSWER. But neither is denial. The repercussions of any action we take to mitigate the spread need to be weighed against the demonstrated consequences. For example, masks slow the spread. They don't eliminate it, but they certainly can reduce the viral load upon infection, as well. There's very little downside to masks. So why so much anger and pushback? Lockdowns can backfire in close communities where household spread is the major route, in addition to having all of the issues associated that SD mentions above.

But even if I we discount 95% of the mortality ascribed to SARS-CoV-2, this is still a rampaging b!!tch of a killer. The flu has killed more, but this is no flu. What makes it most heinous (to quote Bill and Ted) is that we can't predict who will fare well and who won't. Age is a factor, for sure. Diabetes, probably. But there are so many variables that don't compute. I know that I'm not concerned for myself (valid or not), but I am concerned about my wife, who has lung scarring from having pneumonia while with her parents on a geological excavation in Algeria as a five-year-old. If I happen to get it and have mild symptoms, then I will thank that man above, not discount the severity of other folk's worse outcomes.

We study cardiac disease risk following COVID-19 in my lab. I'm not sure who's telling you that your dying of a heart attack in the next 90 days is going to be listed as COVID-19 on your death certificate, but I think that this information is incorrect. However, we have several folks now in the hospital who were admitted for COVID-19 complications and had a heart attack (survived, thankfully) while in the ICU. Most likely, if they were to pass, they would be listed as COVID-19 related complications.

Given the immense pressure that medical providers are under with the current surge, I know that there's been decreased clarity from both primary care providers and the health department, somewhat understandably. Believe it or not, I log in here and respond as a respite from the pressure of job. In science as elsewhere, everything has become more difficult and demanding as the dumpster fire of 2020 progressed. We are still in the tunnel, but I'm beginning to see light.

And when I need a bit of levity, I think about how the naysayers claimed that the virus would magically disappear after the election. Two months later, and the numbers are skyrocketing. The worse it gets, the more vehement the denial. When's the next milestone for this mysterious vanishing act? Because I want a piece of that action.

Honest question here. If you have covid, don’t know it, and wear a mask, will you be exposing yourself to more virus but rebreathing air thru the mask.

Is there a potential in this case to make yourself sicker?

ROTFLMAO

No room?,.. just put em in the gift shop!

Since the small businesses have been forced to close, unlike the Wal Marts of the world, might as well use the space for something.

Honest question here. If you have covid, don’t know it, and wear a mask, will you be exposing yourself to more virus but rebreathing air thru the mask.

Is there a potential in this case to make yourself sicker?

no chance :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wife tested positive today so I had to go get a test. Here is the part that makes no sense to me. Her mandatory quarantine starts today. If I am positive mine also starts today. If I am negative mine won’t start until her 10th day. Still no symptoms for either of us and it has been 7 days since she was exposed. I was also told there are no false positives only false negatives. That didn’t sound right to me. Either way now we are in the states data base and will need clearance from the county to leave the house.

Who can argue with that logic? WTF? Why not just make it a year to be safe? Thank God they don't have an agenda.

They weren't kidding, there are no false positives , but from my limited experience if its negative they call it an abnormal negative so they can add it to the numbers. I have 4 family members they did that to.

Wife tested positive today so I had to go get a test. Here is the part that makes no sense to me. Her mandatory quarantine starts today. If I am positive mine also starts today. If I am negative mine won’t start until her 10th day. Still no symptoms for either of us and it has been 7 days since she was exposed. I was also told there are no false positives only false negatives. That didn’t sound right to me. Either way now we are in the states data base and will need clearance from the county to leave the house.

Something is wrong if they can stop you from leaving the house.

Everyone should have the right to get out and get fresh air. I even think fresh air might be an important part of the healing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.