Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No the pandemic will not be over,.. it is going to get much worse in the Winter. The experts who study contagious disease, and computer modeling that so far has been accurate forecast a really bad winter for Covid. North Dakota just hit 100% ICU beds occupied. Good luck to the folks who have a heart attack finding an ICU bed. This type of situation will likely spread to other states. https://apnews.com/article/virus-outbreak-health-north-dakota-6b69d7c8a9ab2a984f5a0951ecbf5ec9

The vaccine that Pfizer has will not be widely available to folks like me and you,.. until probably late spring or early summer. I just learned the vaccine has to be stored at -80 degrees F. Holy cow no wonder they are saying military might need to involved with distribution of it.

The announcement from Pfizer on this 90% efficacy,.. will have no impact on Covid for a long time to come.

I hope the scientists who study this stuff and the computer models are wrong,. but if I was a betting man I would put my money on them over Twitter any day.

I totally agree with ST,.. how this pandemic will be handled,.. is totally depended on the election. Each Candidate has wildly different views on how to handle it. But ST, many here said it would be gone after the election and openly implied it was a fake story crafted and ginned up in the news ,.. to hurt our President.

Supposedly as part of operation warp speed it doesnt just involve creating a vaccine it also is a plan for getting people vaccinated. The plans are there to speed this up. Just getting healthcare and the elderly done in December and January will cut deaths way down by February. The rest of us can come later. But it can only help once they start right? What I have a problem with is a guy like Cuomo who says NY won’t even consider the vaccine until Biden is sworn in. This should bother most people. This could be the second deadly mistake he makes after the nursing home debacle.

I'm not a fan of Cuomo, but to be fair, that's not really what he said. He's concerned that the Trump plan to use private health care rather than government for vaccine distribution will leave out those who live in "health care deserts". In other words, he's the typical Democrat who wants the government to handle things. And he thinks that once you begin rollout, you have to stick with the plan, even if it's flawed.

So - measure twice, cut once.

Is this good or bad? Arguable. People are dying and society is taking a nosedive while we wait. IMHO, Cuomo is wrong. But he isn't playing politics, he truly believes that a privatized delivery system will ultimately fail a fair number of at-risk people.

As I said, there is a plan to distribute. It involves pharmacies, hospitals and doctors offices if Cuomo thinks he’s better off with the State Running it then it will be his second fatal mistake for New York. Cuomo doesn’t solve problems he just bullies others Our health department just fell out of their chairs when he announced his new travel policies. There’s no way to implement but He will badger them to death all the same. We found out just how State Government handles things when their whole undermanned unsophisticated unemployment system had to be used. What is Cuomo’s plan to distribute? Now s the time to tell but he doesn’t have one apparently. Just that any vaccine under Trump won’t be accepted.

And as I said, not a fan of Cuomo, but it's not that he won't accept a vaccine under Trump, it's that he thinks insufficient safety measures have been taken to assess efficacy to allow rollout prior to February. It's an unfortunate conflagration of events that the inauguration is in January. Believe me, if Trump has won, he'd be accepting a vaccine under the Trump administration!!

The travel restrictions are ridiculous. It's killing my wife's research program. She has patients flying in weekly from all over the states for functional MRI and psychophysical testing, usually for the week. She can't fire her students and postdocs, and she keeps having to cancel patient visits. Her budget and their time won't allow for an extra five days stay and double COVID testing...

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A teacher at my wife's school she teaches at was tested positive, so anyone that has come within 12 feet of this teacher within the last 10 days needs to quarantine for 14 days, and get tested for themselves before they can return back to school. So my wife waited 6 days to get tested, and her test came back negative, along with all her fellow teachers. So there was just the one teacher that tested positive. My wife submitted her negative test result to the school nurse, and the school nurse said they want her to take another test, because the ideal time to get tested is 7 days after exposure. So she went and got tested again, and got a negative result back, and submitted it to the school nurse. The school nurse said that she didnt believe the results from the saliva tests, so all of the teachers that got negative tests results should treat them as a positive test that took the saliva test. Still the only positive test was 1 teacher, and she was only tested 1 time, and her test was accepted as accurate, but the 11 other teachers that been tested twice, and came back negative, shouldnt believe their negative results, and assume they are positive. These are the people that are in charge of our kids, and the economy.

giphy.gif

Agreed, that is ridiculous. I know first hand that the false positive rate is significant. 40 cycles of PCR should be able to detect a fart left by a COVID positive person seven days after they left the room.

Unfortunately, there's a cohort that's taken cautious to unimaginable levels. The current upswing isn't doing anything to assuage their terror.

Agreed, that is ridiculous. I know first hand that the false positive rate is significant. 40 cycles of PCR should be able to detect a fart left by a COVID positive person seven days after they left the room.

Unfortunately, there's a cohort that's taken cautious to unimaginable levels. The current upswing isn't doing anything to assuage their terror.
Careful, you are almost calling it political.

And as I said, not a fan of Cuomo, but it's not that he won't accept a vaccine under Trump, it's that he thinks insufficient safety measures have been taken to assess efficacy to allow rollout prior to February. It's an unfortunate conflagration of events that the inauguration is in January. Believe me, if Trump has won, he'd be accepting a vaccine under the Trump administration!!

The travel restrictions are ridiculous. It's killing my wife's research program. She has patients flying in weekly from all over the states for functional MRI and psychophysical testing, usually for the week. She can't fire her students and postdocs, and she keeps having to cancel patient visits. Her budget and their time won't allow for an extra five days stay and double COVID testing...

That's a joke, by February it'll be fine?

Oh, I think there are enough folks scared out of their minds on both sides of the fence that politics doesn't have to enter the equation.

Evidence-based medicine. Measured responses. Flexibility.

These are my mantras.

Knehrke, I enjoy reading your posts on this as Your posts keep me aware to be careful out there. Regarding your statement about Cuomo’s remarks about the vaccine, you must be joking. Trump has a long history way before 2016 of calling Cuomo out about his poor self serving policies and bad decision making. Cuomo’s comments you referred to were 100 percent politically motivated as most of what he says are. That’s why I’m guessing you were joking. I’m a little slow to pick up on sarcastic type jokes. You sounded so serious I at first thought you weren’t joking.

giphy.gif

Knehrke, I enjoy reading your posts on this as Your posts keep me aware to be careful out there. Regarding your statement about Cuomo’s remarks about the vaccine, you must be joking. Trump has a long history way before 2016 of calling Cuomo out about his poor self serving policies and bad decision making. Cuomo’s comments you referred to were 100 percent politically motivated as most of what he says are. That’s why I’m guessing you were joking. I’m a little slow to pick up on sarcastic type jokes. You sounded so serious I at first thought you weren’t joking.
Hey Chainsaw - I don't disagree that Cuomo is a political animal. And completely self-serving. But in this case, he's both political and practical. Note that neither vaccine that's been publicized lately has actual hard data released yet. It is difficult to assess a situation without cold, hard facts, that's all I'm saying. I hope they're both on target and that we can this virus soon. Believe me. I'm as tired of this crap as anyone. Even more, because I have to deal with multiple positions every day, and somehow make everyone come to consensus...

giphy.gif

SD - love your gifs. I'm saving them for future use. I envision a future where that's all we use to communicate lol. A picture is worth a thousand words...and let's face it, we're all bored of reading each other's stuff. I vote we change places and argue each other's viewpoint next just for kicks.

SD - love your gifs. I'm saving them for future use. I envision a future where that's all we use to communicate lol. A picture is worth a thousand words...and let's face it, we're all bored of reading each other's stuff. I vote we change places and argue each other's viewpoint next just for kicks.
(That would keep me entertained for days. Speaking in parenthesis so as not to break my vow of silence on the topic.)

I won't tell if you don't! I shared your Russian quote with my buddies, who thought it was hysterical. "You can't catch us all". Priceless!

Enjoy this thread while it lasts.

I’m getting bored with it. if I get rid of it you could threaten our advertisers with a boycott. Oh wait, never mind.

Covid is political. Period.

hell the weather is political.
Can we keep this going if Knerke and I switch roles?

Status
Not open for further replies.