Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
now let’s fast forward here. 6 months from now, this thing blows over markets down 15% -20% from all time highs... people get your cash ready. There will be some gains to made there... a lot of discount stock prices on some top quality companies.

That's my plan as well. I am going to start a Roth IRA and start buying stocks and ETAs when the market dips. My European income gets taxed no matter what, so a Roth is a good option. My American income will probably all stay in real estate.

I'm going to spend my retirement traveling the world

Good plan. I can help you with tips and advice. I've been to over 50 countries already.

Trump has very little control over the markets. The markets go up and down, and the best thing to do at your age is diversify enough that you can ride out the lows. Ray Dalio has a fund that is "recession proof", but I don't know what the fees are. If you just want to put away some cash that will keep up with inflation, you can get 4-week T-bills with an APY of about 2.5%, and I believe the interest it tax-free. This keeps your money pretty liquid so you can pay off a credit card or other bills without dipping into your 401k when the markets are down.

I get how the markets work, and this dip so far will have no long term effect on my retirement.

Trump doesn’t control the market at all, he does influence it by how he runs the country. The market so far has loved his business savvy, deregulations, cutting red tape on big biz, trade deals, tariff policies, America first attitude.
This whole coronavirus outbreak has had nothing to do with him except that we as a country have depended on China to long. What he can do is start spreading our national import export business around to other countries like India, Canada, Mexico, southeast Asia, Russia and others instead of keeping so many of our eggs in one basket with China, being more diverse will strengthen the overall US markets and make things shift at a steadier pace. It looks like that is what his administration seems to be working on…and it ends up helping me and everyone else in the long run.

Last edited:
Good plan. I can help you with tips and advice. I've been to over 50 countries already.

I will definitely talk to you about that! Scandinavia is one of the areas we plan on visiting in a few years along with most of Europe. My daughter and I are going to Israel about a year from right now and a couple other ME countries…my wife didn’t want to go.

I don’t have Coronavirus, but I have something nasty. Wife said they have been dealing with a shitload of Norovirus at the ER and ICU where she works. I think she brought it home. Puked 14 times from 530am-1215pm. The other end resembled a spring fire hydrant demo. The only thing I have been able to keep down was super chill cream soda. Now I got some Chinese ibuprofen on board and feel pretty good. We took the family out to eat for February bdays after she got off work last night. Let’s just say I won’t be having fajita trio any time soon.

now let’s fast forward here. 6 months from now, this thing blows over markets down 15% -20% from all time highs... people get your cash ready. There will be some gains to made there... a lot of discount stock prices on some top quality companies.

I have a very large specially crafted CD in the local bank drawing 3%. I put it in there and can take it out penalty free at any time. My wife and I have it there and ready whenever we find a farm we wanna buy. In the last 6-8 weeks I made contributions to 2019 and 2020 SEP IRA. I was pissed and complaining to my guy about how much I left on the table by not having it in the market in 2019, and we thought about putting it to work. Glad it’s still in the bank, but I sure wouldn’t mind getting in on the company that comes up with a vaccine.

if they figure this thing out soon it should be good buying opportunities cause I think consumer confidence must still be quite high.

^^^^ Hope you feel better soon

CV19 has been circulating in our communities for some time. Unlike other countries we had no test kits that worked.

This has been recently corrected,.. expect to see an immediate uptick in cases. For many this will be a nothing burger,.. same as Bucks symptoms.

The question is how many does it hit hard and do the 10 to 15% get medical care? That could overwhelm our system and most folks pocket books.

Going to be interesting to see if it also causes a global recession which is well possible.

The market will probably be down tomorrow... go back and look at stock prices in 08-09 and look now.

Millions/Billions were made, and this will be repeated again. Investors with guts take shares of the companies $$$ from the sellers. It’s a cycle that has been repeated many times in history.

Nephew's school had 56 kids out with the flu friday. Only 200 kids in the district. Guess who got the flu today? My nephew

Going to be interesting to see if it also causes a global recession which is well possible.

Japan already is in a recession. China and Korea are poised. Europe is dealing with Brexit, crashing markets, and a recent Covid outbreak. Iran is struggling with an outbreak. If I were a betting man I'd bet on global recession. Better now than 5 years from now. The sooner it happens, the sooner we get back to a growth period.

Latest study data shows for healthy individuals under age 50 the threat of death is quite low. Mortality rate grows significantly with age, but this is in large part due to greatly increased immune-suppressed individuals already fighting age-related illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. Not making light of the threat to sick older folks, but I don't see how anyone paints this as anything other than great news, with basically zero risk to pediatric age children (at least for now / unless / until the virus possibly mutates in the future).

20860.jpeg

Above shared, by comparison the 1918 flu pandemic was notably more deadly to very young children AND specifically during 1918 was unusually deadly for people between the ages of 20 and 40, as well as the elderly.

At least for now, this should prove to be FAR less problematic than the 1918 flu, and that's without even considering ANY advances in science we've had over the last 100 years.

1918 Flu.jpg

Spud you missed my point... I don’t have anger at all. I’m not some radical leftist who doesn’t give Trump any credit. However if all anyone cares about in a leader is financials... he’s your guy. I get that. If your looking for someone to lead by example and inspire the rest of the world to be better and bring out the best in everyone and bring a country together, he’s not that will never be that. Too some people that matters. That’s what I was getting at.

and yes Trump lies so much we all just come to accept that’s who he is, that’s his character. Today for instance stating 22 Coronavirus cases. It’s higher than that. This is simply a time that all Americans need facts. Not numbers that make it seem better than it is. But this Is just what he does. For people outside of his base, his character is his nemesis that’s why the house flipped blue. There is no reason with the economy in good shape minus this past week in the market, which is still up overall since he took office, that he shouldn’t be running away with it.

I think as a human being Trump is a scumbag, liar, and a pretty crappy overall person. But he knows how to handle money.

I thought the last guy was a scumbag, liar, and generally pretty crappy person, who didn't know how to handle money... so... I may just do a write in.

The doctor I happened to be watching on tv for a moment said the disease would be no big deal for 80% of people who would get hit.

I think as a human being Trump is a scumbag, liar, and a pretty crappy overall person. But he knows how to handle money.

I thought the last guy was a scumbag, liar, and generally pretty crappy person, who didn't know how to handle money... so... I may just do a write in.

That's just it. Obama was put here on earth to be this huge uniter. He was going to heal our country and the world. Well we sure saw how far that got us. After 8 years of it, not many people cared any longer that we were putting a man of potential sketchy character in the Whitehouse. Trump wasn't put here to wow you with his poetry and Twitterless social habits. He's doing the things he said he would do.

This whole thing is pretty simple. People aren't dying from the CV. Less than 4,000 world wide.

The stock market has begun correcting, but certainly isn't done. The mega cap tech stocks are still wildly overvalued. Energy, materials, and industrials are getting beaten into the dirt. Exxon and Chevron are so cheap now, it's almost scary to consider buying them with the prospect of dividend cuts being the next turd to watch for.

Interest rates are headed for zero faster than I imagined it'd happen. Gov't protected asset bubbles are going to get worse, and dollars chasing them weaker and weaker before the ink on them even dries.

The big prize for the media from here is to translate all this CV chaos into butts on couches for a week or two. That'd be long enough to cause a 9/11 kind of air bubble in the economy that can ripple backwards and disrupt the job market. If the job market starts to crack, hold onto your hat. We'll be talking economic stimulus in the trillions, and it'll be all funny money, because there is zero chance the house of representatives does a thing to help jump start the economy.

Latest study data shows for healthy individuals under age 50 the threat of death is quite low. Mortality rate grows significantly with age, but this is in large part due to greatly increased immune-suppressed individuals already fighting age-related illnesses such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. Not making light of the threat to sick older folks, but I don't see how anyone paints this as anything other than great news, with basically zero risk to pediatric age children (at least for now / unless / until the virus possibly mutates in the future).

View attachment 28222
I don’t think you need to worry about us taking your posts the wrong way. You’re always super sincere and thoughtful with your posts and never disrespectful. You’re thoughts and insights on topics are always great.

I don’t think you need to worry about us taking your posts the wrong way. You’re always super sincere and thoughtful with your posts and never disrespectful. You’re thoughts and insights on topics are always great.
MANY thanks for the kind words, Peplin Creek.

Just didn't want anyone thinking I'll be taking glee in the fact that it appears to be heavily impacting the elderly. Heck, for that matter I'm in that 50s bracket that is the first one to jump it over even a single percentage poiint.

To even better show how it compares (thus far at least) to the 1918 flu, I married data sets together to show a direct comparison. I take GREAT joy in it not hurting the young thus far. On the other hand, it really does look to be a bit more of a threat than normal to the elderly. My theory on that, and it's just a theory, is that in 2020 the world is doing a much better job in keeping the elderly alive in general, whereas in 1918 only the toughest / healthiest elderly lived into their 80s and weren't surviving long with heart disease, cancer, etc. Thus making for many more somewhat sick / immuno-comprimised elderly to be impacted nowadays. Again, absolutely just a theory... time and more data will surely tell.

1918 Flu Comparison.jpg

Tree Daddy, post #178 - Go ahead. Shoot some Democrats. Big talk doesn't make a big man. That's the kind of idiot talk that's ruining this country.
See you in handcuffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.