Controlling reed canary grass?

I'm bumping this to see when guys are going to start spraying Oust XP. Is anybody planning on spraying soon. I'm headed to my place this weekend and will be doing some mowing in prep for sprayiong Oust and then planting later this spring. When does reed canary start to green-up? Oust's a pre-emergent so I'm thinking of spraying this weekend or next depending on how soon I can get to it.

Any possible way you could safely burn it? If not what about a small area just for comparison purposes?

Here is a couple pastes of Oust info from Dbltree's Corner over on Iowa Whitetails:

By now most are aware of Keystone Pest Solutions as an online source for most of the herbicides we may need if you can not find it locally. They also often carry smaller quantities if you don't need a 2 1/2 gallon jug of something.

Keystone Pest Solutions

Search "Oust" on their site for instance and you'll find a generic alternative "Spyder" and if you can't find something give them a call and ask for help or encourage them to carry something you may need.

Oust is used for tree plantings and I also use it to release established switch and other NWSG plantings. One only needs 1-2 ounces per acre and Jef Hodges of TRM will sell it in small quantities of 2 or more ounces. Email: bobwhite@iland.net

Spyder is a generic version and right now the lowest price I have found is at Keystone Pest Solutions

if you locate other sources please share via this thread...
wink.gif

In many ways like the pharmaceutical drug industry, herbicide patents expire and generic versions become available for a fraction of the original cost...here are just a couple in which prices have dropped significantly

SFM 75 is a generic version of Oust XP and far less expensive...for pre and post emergence control of most grasses and broadleaves in hardwood and conifer plantings and release of established NWSG (2nd/3rd year minimum)

SFM 75 herbicide source

SFM 75 Label

I miss having Paul around for discussions like this.

Agree, Paul was a great resource. I won't be able to burn so I'll mow and continue to spray. I'm planting spruce trees so I plan on only spraying a 4' diameter ring.

Jerry-I looked at my spruce in the tennis racket shape/RC. It has been a real battle. Maybe 1/3 are finally reaching thigh height.

The willow cuttings that are still in plastic have done the best. I used pieces of silage bags and they have held up very well. Growth is better than those where I removed the plastic after two years.

I think sandbar willow would have competed better than what I used. I am not real sure what I used-just a nearby willow.

Can you get a single bottom plow through the rc?

Found a neat little pdf on herbicide "cocktails" for a bunch of common trees, weeds, and invasive species.

http://www.sugarloafnorthshore.org/PDFs/herbiciderecipesheet.pdf
Thanks for the link Wisc, good information. I do have some Plateau but it is allot more expensive than Oust XP (gerneric version). I'll try Oust as I know Paul and others have had success with it.

Art, in certain areas I probably could get a plow in there and turn the dirt but I don't have a plow today. I might have to try and pick one up as its would be nice to have options.

I'll start with Oust and then spray roundup as I go through the year.

Thanks much.

Jerry-In the second picture of post 21, you can see one of the spruce.

I like to put the spruce in a spot without RC. Sometimes you can small areas of other grass types within the RC.

Art,

Much of the areas I'm working are all RC. Im working marsh edge and wanting to plant allot of trees so I need a solution that will work for this senario. In situations where I will clump a few here and there I like the idea of carpet squares that are 4' square.

I still need to find a supplier of larger trees. In certain target areas I'm going to buy 3'-4' trees and plant them as a remote owner I need a way to be successful without being their allot.