All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

concrete remesh

ethompson

5 year old buck +
Searched this site for the size of concrete re-mesh some of you guys use for tree protection, but couldn't find it. Home depot has 7' lengths but I need at least 12.5" lengths. Might have to go with the rolled if I can't find it soon. No cattle, but possible breaches from neighbors cattle. So staking is 50/50. What size do you guys use? Where did you buy it? No Mennards down here. But hopefully soon
Thanks for reading.

100' rolls and get into an arm wrestling contest to cut 12'-13' section. I then cut the top 2 rows so the fence is ~48" high. I buy at Home Depot.

5' rolls, 16' lengths for me.

Cows can be rather destructive, and persistent on getting to stuff they aren’t suppose to be in. I would make sure to go a little bigger then normal, and add extra posts for support. They tend to lean into fences to get after what they want. I would rather have bears then stray cows.

I made a post on another thread about what I do with the costs and sizes and the like.... The only thing I would add is that if you feel your cage will be "tested"...use multiple, sturdy, stakes. I like 5 foot tall x 100 foot rolls of actual fencing (I prefer not to use the woven wire type, but you certainly can if you desire).

https://www.ruralking.com/utility-fence-2-x-4-mesh-5-ft-x-100-ft-125-gauge

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/j-birds-place.5772/post-166268

Just gunna throw in my 2 cents. Unless your deer r on steroids or u have bear or moose u need to "try" to keep out. Consider a different style wire. Deep drifting snow here in SD has caused alot of issues for me with rabbits getting above the wire screens, then they use the concrete remesh as protection from predators, leading to the loss of to many trees for my taste. Hate having to replant.

I do not have the cold or snow like you guys up North do. If we do, accidents everywhere. I went ahead and bought the 5-6 feet 100ft roll of mesh. It was pretty costly at 133 from home depot. Going to put them up this weekend.
J-bird, that's what I've always have used. The only problem I have with it it tends to bend while lifting over the tree. I will try this and see how it works. The only problem I have 100% of is hogs. I hate hogs. Luckily they left my trees untouched this fall while digging craters all around them. Always tractor work to repair damage.
Thanks for all the replies.