Clover outcompetes my efforts for diversity??

Poop bucket may be back in business here the way the world is going. And I’m gonna be collecting fees to use it.

Acceptable forms of payment:

1 oz silver eagle
1 oz platinum eagle (30 day pass)
1 oz gold eagle (50 day pass)
2 loaves of einkorn bread
3 tubes of #2 marine grade grease
8 oz povidone iodine
1 oz nascent iodine
3 - 6mg tablets of ivermectin
1 tube Dr Jones toothpaste
1 box of baking soda
50 lbs of gypsum (pellet)
1 lb clean water catfish fillet
4 lbs ag/city/power plant catfish fillet
1 gallon of premium non-oxy
1 pint of honey (3 day unlimited)
1 qt of maple syrup (7 day unlimited)
1 processed Berkshire hog no grain (10 day family unlimited pass)
Leslie Easterbrook nudes from 1969-1991
3 heirloom hardneck garlic bulbs (local)
8 oz of fresh, frozen, or dehydrated heirloom dill
1 dozen standard mouth canning lids
2 oz of bodacious sweetcorn seed
1 bar homemade soap (3 day unlimited)
1 sharpened chainsaw chain (service only)
75W-90/75W-140 synthetic gear oil (3 days/qt)
4 AA lithium batteries (3 day unlimited)
4 AA standard batteries
2 dozen eggs (3 day unlimited)
Unopened pail of tidy cat (7 day unlimited)
1 lb grass fed butter/cheese
4 lbs grain fed butter/cheese
750 of crown peach (3 day unlimited)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about a worn out VHS of Under Siege and a bowl of dove gizzards?

Oooooo, just gave me an idea. Lower the boom on a sprayer or adjust spray to a narrow swath. Spray rows into your clover then plant your brassicas into those rows. I believe in edge. I think soil life under the spray will repopulate quickly if unaffected organisms are only a few inches away. I've been known to remove every other tooth on a bucket and drag grooves into a plot for planting. You could calibrate your spraying to your bucket teeth spacing and essentially have a free no-till system.

I saw a video where someone hooked a sprayer up to a no till drill and rigged it so it just sprayed the rows. They were planting non-RR corn into established clover. The clover provided weed control for the corn.

Just a thought as I haven’t researched this but is there a growth inhibitor that would work on clover? I use one on my lawn to cut down on the frequency of mowing and it works wonderfully. They use it on cotton.

If so, you could mow the clover very short, spray the growth inhibitor, then plant brassica. By the time the growth inhibitor wore off, the brassica would be doing fine.

Or spray first then wait a few days before mowing.

Or spray first then wait a few days before mowing.
What is the brand name on the growth inhibitor? Price?

They make attachments that will spray in the rows of the coulters. Look at Keeton seed firmers.

Honestly. Just set up sprayer to spray same width of drill and spray Gly and 24d in strips. Maybe 10feet apart. Then come back in a week and drill brassica.

They make attachments that will spray in the rows of the coulters. Look at Keeton seed firmers.

Honestly. Just set up sprayer to spray same width of drill and spray Gly and 24d in strips. Maybe 10feet apart. Then come back in a week and drill brassica.
guessing that 24d wouldn't allow the brasica to grow if planted that soon after spraying.

guessing that 24d wouldn't allow the brasica to grow if planted that soon after spraying.
  • If 2,4-D (4 lb/gal product) is applied at 16 fl oz/acre in a burndown program, the planting interval should be seven days for corn and soybean.
  • If 2,4-D (4 lb/gal product) is applied at a rate above 16 fl oz/acre in a burndown program, the planting interval should be 14 days for corn and 30 days for soybean.
At low rate Of 2-4d most things say 7 days

Another option is mix Gly with Liberty herbicide for strips. No plant back interval.

You could wait 14 days if being super cautious, but farmers wait seven days for soybeans.

Low dose of 2-4d with Gly will nuke clover and have pretty short plantback Interval.

Yoder has some good posts here on liberty for burn down with immediate plantback. My reading is adding some Gly too nukes everything.

You could also just use high dose of Gly and immediate light discing, cultipack and then drill brassica.

Sorry to keep adding. I love this stuff.

If goal of no till is soil health, then part of that is limiting herbicide use.

This is situation where discing these small strips good, packing, then planting brassica might be best option overall. Most of Field remains no till, and I bet you’d still get some slow regrowth of clover in that area. Heck add some perennial clover with brassica and it would come on next spring in spots after brassicas have petered out. Could also throw some rye on them late winter and those areas would look just like the rest by May.

Lots of good ideas here. I got one item to add. I saw a pic somewhere......where a guy had mounted his FIMCO sprayer on the rear walkboads of his drill. I think he was just using the center nozzle on a 3 port boomless sprayer to do it all in one pass (spray and drill). Never gave it much thought until now. I could also see putting the spayer in the loader bucket.....and that way you could watch the sprayer to be certain its working. I got a cab 😃😃 and dont mind driving into the spray.

A part of my issue with spraying or mowing and then waiting to drill......is that it can become difficult to know where you sprayed and did not spray on the first trip......especilly if you plan to follow later that day with a drill in a large field. Even foam markers will not last long enough to find your way.

Anyway......I'm giving these ideas lots of thought going into next year. Good material.

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas here. I got one item to add. I saw a pic somewhere......where a guy had mounted his FIMCO sprayer on the rear walkboads of his drill. I think he was just using the center nozzle on a 3 port boomless sprayer to do it all in one pass. I could also see putting the spayer in the loader bucket.....and that way you could watch the sprayer to be certain its working.

A part of my issue with spraying or mowing and then waiting to drill......is that it can become difficult to know where you sprayed and did not spray on the first trip......especilly if you plan to follow later that day in a large field. Even foam markers will not last long enough to find your way.

Anyway......I'm giving these ideas lots of thought going into next year. Good material.
Look into titan 3pt hitch skid steer connect for FEL. Can hook up a three point sprayer OR a UTV model hitch receiver mounted sprayer to front. Would make seeing what you’re doing way easier, and have found my to be handy.

Look into titan 3pt hitch skid steer connect for FEL. Can hook up a three point sprayer OR a UTV model hitch receiver mounted sprayer to front. Would make seeing what you’re doing way easier, and have found my to be handy.

Yep. I got an ATV type sprayer and it's got a 2x4 bottom frame. May mount it to my forks and that would make it easier to see. I do have a titan plate too....but that would take more modifications than using my folks. All good ideas flowing. Wondering what rate of Roundup to use.....but I suppose my 2 qt / acre mix would smoke the clover pretty good.

Using the loader would allow me to tweak the spray width pattern by simply adjusting the height to fit the spray width.

LOL.....now I'm getting ideas about putting corn or maybe Egyptian Wheat in a row or two......pumpkins in another row........and a few rows of brasica. I like the idea of Verticle cover in my situation. Funny how quickly a fellah get's greedy.

T-Net or T-Nex. It’s a grass growth inhibitor. I have Bermuda and I spray 15oz to the acre. Cuts my grass cutting down from every 3-4 days in the summer to every 2/2.5 weeks. After that, the time I have between cuttings slows decreases. It cost about $115.00 for a gallon jug but it and the cost of the gas savings cancelled each other out. Saved me about 40-50 hours last summer on the mower and the wear and tear on my mower. Money well spent imo.

Spraying it by itself can cause a slight discoloration of your grass but that can be overcome by adding iron when you spray.

Last edited:
Yep. I got an ATV type sprayer and it's got a 2x4 bottom frame. May mount it to my forks and that would make it easier to see. I do have a titan plate too....but that would take more modifications than using my folks. All good ideas flowing. Wondering what rate of Roundup to use.....but I suppose my 2 qt / acre mix would smoke the clover pretty good.

Using the loader would allow me to tweak the spray width pattern by simply adjusting the height to fit the spray width.
I love it too Foggy. My old sprayer was Utv so had a hitch receiver mount. I like they added a hitch receiver to that titan thing.

I’ve had some of these same ideas. Still plan to crimp with front end loader and plant with 3 point with one pass this spring.

I love it too Foggy. My old sprayer was Utv so had a hitch receiver mount. I like they added a hitch receiver to that titan thing.

I’ve had some of these same ideas. Still plan to crimp with front end loader and plant with 3 point with one pass this spring.
Good luck with that idea. I scrubbed that plan soon after trying it. I still maintain that doing so could endanger your loader arms.....and it's just too difficult to run the crimper and the drill at the same time.....unless you have very straight runs.

Edit: One thing for sure.....is when crimping with the roller on the front.....you are not steering the roller.....it's steering you. FAR better on the three point....IMO. Faster too.

Last edited:
Poop bucket may be back in business here the way the world is going. And I’m gonna be collecting fees to use it.

Acceptable forms of payment:

1 oz silver eagle
1 oz platinum eagle (30 day pass)
1 oz gold eagle (50 day pass)
1 gallon of premium non-oxy
1 pint of honey (3 day unlimited)
1 qt of maple syrup (7 day unlimited)
1 processed Berkshire hog (10 day family unlimited pass)
Leslie Easterbrook nudes from 1969-1991
3 heirloom hardneck garlic bulbs (local)
Unopened pail of tidy cat (7 day unlimited)
1 lb grass fed butter/cheese
750 of crown peach (3 day unlimited)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So that's your "BUCKET LIST"?

Lots of good ideas here. I got one item to add. I saw a pic somewhere......where a guy had mounted his FIMCO sprayer on the rear walkboads of his drill. I think he was just using the center nozzle on a 3 port boomless sprayer to do it all in one pass (spray and drill). Never gave it much thought until now. I could also see putting the spayer in the loader bucket.....and that way you could watch the sprayer to be certain its working. I got a cab 😃😃 and dont mind driving into the spray.

A part of my issue with spraying or mowing and then waiting to drill......is that it can become difficult to know where you sprayed and did not spray on the first trip......especilly if you plan to follow later that day with a drill in a large field. Even foam markers will not last long enough to find your way.