Clover Food Plot Help

Thanks Mike , I agree and the closer it's getting to spring the more I realize it's no easy task and will probably not plant this year but instead make the seed bed appropriate and get the right conditions.

Plant it with a nurse crop of spring oats. Hit it with a grass specific chem. when the oats are knee high. When the clover is reaching maturity mow it off and you should be good to go.

Keep in mind that the mix he is using contains a significant percentage of inexpensive berseem clover which is an annual along with the more expensive improved perennial clovers. While I think the reason they do this is because no one would buy there improved clover if they recognized the real price they were paying per pound compared to other improved clovers like Durana, WTI claim the reason is that the berseem pops up fast and acts as a nurse crop for the improved perennial clover. Oats doesn't have the allelopathic effect on weeds that Winter Rye does, so it simply takes up space the weed would otherwise occupy which is the same function the berseem is already performing.

The reason I suggested planting WR with it in the fall as a nurse crop is that the berseem may not reseed and come back in the spring when the nurse crops is needed. The winter rye will start growing again in early spring.

I understand folks do things differently in different places and what works well one place may not work as well in another. I'm just trying to flesh out the "why" a bit more so folks can weigh the options and select what they thing will work best in their area.

Thanks,

Jack

I have spring planted, and fall planted clover. I have planted it with WR in both instances, they both worked pretty well. While the fall planted clover may fair well down the road, if you want clover this year, I wouldnt lose sleep over planting it this spring. But you do need to prep the soil, lime, and amend the soil as needed, and you shouldnt have issues either way. Being you are in the north, you have time to get ahead of the weeds, and get the seed in the ground.

But ideally fall planted clover will be best.

Keep in mind that the mix he is using contains a significant percentage of inexpensive berseem clover which is an annual along with the more expensive improved perennial clovers. While I think the reason they do this is because no one would buy there improved clover if they recognized the real price they were paying per pound compared to other improved clovers like Durana, WTI claim the reason is that the berseem pops up fast and acts as a nurse crop for the improved perennial clover. Oats doesn't have the allelopathic effect on weeds that Winter Rye does, so it simply takes up space the weed would otherwise occupy which is the same function the berseem is already performing.

The reason I suggested planting WR with it in the fall as a nurse crop is that the berseem may not reseed and come back in the spring when the nurse crops is needed. The winter rye will start growing again in early spring.

I understand folks do things differently in different places and what works well one place may not work as well in another. I'm just trying to flesh out the "why" a bit more so folks can weigh the options and select what they thing will work best in their area.

Thanks,

Jack

Couldn't agree more on fall planting clover. The topic at hand is spring planted clover. With that being said I also didn't/don't know the varietie(s) contained within the WI clover. Farmers in Minnesota plant with oats weather in the spring or fall. (Almost always in the fall)

Couldn't agree more on fall planting clover. The topic at hand is spring planted clover. With that being said I also didn't/don't know the varietie(s) contained within the WI clover. Farmers in Minnesota plant with oats weather in the spring or fall. (Almost always in the fall)

Yep, if you are planting straight perennial clover in the spring, oats is a reasonable choice as a cover crop. Some of these BOB seed companies play some tricks, so you have to look more closely.

Thanks,

Jack