Cider guys

Oh oh there she is!!!!! ... I was going to make a apple scratter till I seen one of these in action. The grind on them turns it into a pulp like mash far better than the fly wheel like scratters (they chunk it out) and this style is far more simple to make (simple effective design) .. and they eat apples at a really nice rate. :emoji_thumbsup: Looks like you are set! Im jealous...
You are exactly right aNd much easier to do alone and less taxing on the arms turning the grinder wheel lol

Last edited:
View attachment 28677grinder on left will grind a bushel of apples in about 45 seconds if fed properly and then off to the stainless steel press for juicing. Works amazing. This is the UPGRADE

That is what I need, but its not in the budget :emoji_weary: I'll bet that would grind anything from the smallest crab up to a Wolf River.

That is what I need, but its not in the budget :emoji_weary: I'll bet that would grind anything from the smallest crab up to a Wolf River.
It’s better on larger apples but it also will do crabapples like chestnut and Dolgo. Yes it wasn’t cheap

It’s better on larger apples but it also will do crabapples like chestnut and Dolgo. Yes it wasn’t cheap

If I remember correctly you sold your original grinder and press a few years back ?

View attachment 28677grinder on left will grind a bushel of apples in about 45 seconds if fed properly and then off to the stainless steel press for juicing. Works amazing. This is the UPGRADE

Please explain the advantages of the stainless press over the wooden one.

I wish I could justify purchasing that stainless grinder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleaning would be about it... the slotted sides are cool for a barrel style press... but a wood rack press is fine... I have a hydraulic shop press ... bought a stainless steel food service food server with a drain that I stripped down - its basically a big box with sides that will slip into my press... I intend to press on/in it with layered wood press boards and cheese cloth.

The grinder is the BOMB, what Aero bought is from what I've seen is the best at mashing stuff to a pulp - its a fancy high powered food processor. If you have any ability at all as far as fabrication or have access to a stainless steel custom shop they could build what you need out of scrap. Its direct drive - just need a decent rpm constant run motor and a water proof switch - weld on a funneled hopper and your in business. You can easily make the cutting disc - ... the motor does not have to be below it can be 90 degrees so there is no issues with juice getting into it... you just have an angled feed tube and the disc is vertical instead of horizontal. I had most of the parts for a scratter and I have completely scrapped that idea... I will be building something like the one below... first choice is stainless but if I have to aluminum apart from the pulping disc will work. The image of the disc is one way. Drill and then press in a dimple and grind off one side ... I have seen some with blades --- cut and ground down old ss knife or two pieces of thicker scrap SS on a round piece of SS scrap ... Or just do what Aerospacefarmer did buy one.. like I said - super jealous I WANT ONE

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 15
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    163.6 KB · Views: 16
Any good DIY plans out there for a grinder? I couldn’t find any while looking online today.

Clean up for sure and sanitary as the stainless won’t absorb any juice. To me there is no comparison and I appreciate Caveys comment on building one his description sounds pretty complicated to a novice lol. I just hose off and I run oxy solution on it before I press to both press and grinder

https://www.simplyciderpresses.com/...LGj5cUN-mqJwSytptj5t1TN0fGkD7Y2caAuUkEALw_wcB

We have this. It is not cheap but works great with minor modifications to make it easier to toss apples in. With proper care it will outlast any of its users.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes it’s the one I posted a pic of before. Worked great for me at lower volumes

Oh yeah I see that now. We do a family cider day each year so lots of free labor around to crank. I think we did around 40 to 50 gallons this year in a couple hours at a very casual pace.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aero, what do you put under your press to catch the cider?

Will a 5gal bucket fit under it?

Is it relatively stable without the plywood?

I like that it is all stainless for easy cleanup. I like that it has a beam that the feed screw runs through rather than models that the screw attaches at the bottom and runs up through the catch pan. I also like the spout and I also like made in USA.

Aero, what do you put under your press to catch the cider?

Will a 5gal bucket fit under it?

Is it relatively stable without the plywood?

I like that it is all stainless for easy cleanup. I like that it has a beam that the feed screw runs through rather than models that the screw attaches at the bottom and runs up through the catch pan. I also like the spout and I also like made in USA.
A 5 gallon bucket won’t fit. I have 2.5 gallon buckets to catch it. i never removed the plywood because can stand on it and really crank the screw down. It can be bolted down to a wood deck or put in concrete