Cheap amish blinds?

http://www.oakridgehuntingblinds.com/

RIT, this is probably closer to you, but if inexpensive is one of your criteria, this one probably isn't for you
You know when they don’t list pricing it’s going to be an eye opener. I just don’t like hunting in a blind at all. I am rather stubborn so I will be cold and wet before I hunt in a blind. That could change with age but for now it’s wind in the face. I have a few places that would be good spots but nontreee. Eventually maybe I will breakdown and get a few but not yet..... not yet

I hear ya on not liking blinds. And I don't like them if you're in a travel corridor, but hunting over food, they're not bad at all. Especially with the scent supression factor. That's a game changer.

Oh, cmon.... you're tougher than that...

I open sewer lines and pump septic tanks for a living. Maybe I'm noseblind

Your also getting paid. :emoji_wink: I have had plenty of dirty jobs in my life. My neighbor is a shizz house pumper and he does very well.

Unfortunately breathing air with mouse urine & feces can lead to serious respiratory health risk. See link below ...

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome

Your also getting paid. :emoji_wink: I have had plenty of dirty jobs in my life. My neighbor is a shizz house pumper and he does very well.

Unfortunately breathing air with mouse urine & feces can lead to serious respiratory health risk. See link below ...

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome

I'll admit, the paid part helps. I can handle a strange woman's feminine product better than I can my own kid's diaper.

I have some issues I need to figure out in my life.

You mind sharing where you found the plastic sheets and what they look like?
I found the sheet on Craigsllist near me, in NE PA, and then the guy gave me his phone number, as he gets them in often and told me just call him!

they look just like sheets of plywood, only made of assorted plastic, some are PVC some other types of plastic, he gets sheets in, from 1/16 inch thick, to an inch or more at times
and again some are 4x8 sheers, and some are 5x10 sheets!

but I do know there are many that sell them all over the USA on like adds, craigslist, face book market place and so on!

prices vary based on materials there made of and conditions, some are like seconds with markings on them, some are brand new with protective cover on them
colors can be,m from white, to black to green/black.blue,brown or???
I have used them to line enclosed trailer walls, and inside a building I built, they work nice, cuts pretty easy pending thickness, thinner they are harder they are to cut with saw blades of been my experience, as they will some times chip or crack,, but a cutting wheel on a angle grinder works very well!
there 100 % waterproof though, and the thick one's are darn strong and solid!

Blinds ....like most things, are a matter of spending the money on quality materials and doing it right the first time. I have built blinds from reclaimed shipping pallets and they where fine for my first ones. They didn't seal well, had mice and wasp issues and didn't retain heat very well.....but it beat the hell out of sitting in a freezing rain or cold wind come late novemebr and december. I have since stepped up my game and also stepped up my requirements. I moved away from OBS and to ply wood and now to putting metal OVER the sheeting. I moved from just flap "windows" with no glass/plastic to actual house style sliding windows. I still don't put a lot into a roof as I don't have the snow fall to warrant it. Do it right the first time...or find time and money to do it twice! Now my blinds are more like sitting at home...except no wife and fewer screaming kids!

if you are concerned about the quality - error on the side of caution and just get one and see how it works out....It's one thing to make a bad purchase....it's another thing to do it 3 times!

I found the sheet on Craigsllist near me, in NE PA, and then the guy gave me his phone number, as he gets them in often and told me just call him!

they look just like sheets of plywood, only made of assorted plastic, some are PVC some other types of plastic, he gets sheets in, from 1/16 inch thick, to an inch or more at times
and again some are 4x8 sheers, and some are 5x10 sheets!

but I do know there are many that sell them all over the USA on like adds, craigslist, face book market place and so on!

prices vary based on materials there made of and conditions, some are like seconds with markings on them, some are brand new with protective cover on them
colors can be,m from white, to black to green/black.blue,brown or???
I have used them to line enclosed trailer walls, and inside a building I built, they work nice, cuts pretty easy pending thickness, thinner they are harder they are to cut with saw blades of been my experience, as they will some times chip or crack,, but a cutting wheel on a angle grinder works very well!
there 100 % waterproof though, and the thick one's are darn strong and solid!

Is there a name we can google for these? I've been using Smartside engineered stuff that is primed and painting it. It runs $30-$35 for a 4x8 sheet. I then have the cost and time for painting it. In my climate, plastic sheets of some sort would be worth looking into.

Thanks,

Jakc

Is there a name we can google for these? I've been using Smartside engineered stuff that is primed and painting it. It runs $30-$35 for a 4x8 sheet. I then have the cost and time for painting it. In my climate, plastic sheets of some sort would be worth looking into.

Thanks,

Jakc
no not really, I found them by searching for plastic sheets and things showed up, I found about 10 guys within a 100 miles of me selling them at the time I was first looking
and since then, Facebook market place gets more adds and viewers so, I would start there
when I got them for my building I was paying 10 bucks a 4x8 sheet 1/4 inch thick,( black in color some had some slight scratches, but I didn't care)s) the ones for my inside of my trailer I got 5'x10' x1/8 inch for 15 bucks each, (brand new white with protective film on both sides, have a few left still LOL)
they were perfect to fit from my kicker to top, , the guy I got them off had them in 1/8-1/4-1/2-3/8--3/4 and 1 inch thick one's at the time
the thicker they got the more costly they got, I think at the time, 1 inch thick one's were like 65 bucks, 55 for 3/4 and 45 for 1/2 inch
they were in mostly white and black, with a few other colors(red, blue green brown)
he doesn;'t ALWAYS have them, he gets them when ever his supplier has them, and he gets them in BULK, 100-500 sheets at a time, then doesn;'t get more typically till there all gone, and then repeat!
prices have gone up over the yrs, but still a once and done deal, no painting, or rotting away, water proof
so, to me be a good option if I build any more blinds!
weight wise, there not super light either, some might be heavier than wood, and maybe more work, as I would always pre drill holes, to not worry about cracks and I just used roofing screws with the rubber washer to attach them to things on building, and stainless steel screws on trailer!

I would just search craigslist and like sites in your area and see what turns up!

also, some home depot and like stores carry things, mostly in white though>
but they can be stained black brown, using wood stain I Imagine pretty easy, I know the white panels in my trailer get stains pretty easy LOL
here is a link, I seem some in the 1/4-1/2 and even 5/4 at some stores up my way at times!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-White-PVC-Sheet-Panel-190360/205079515

Last edited:
Are these coroplast? Like corrugated cardboard but made from plastic?

Are these coroplast? Like corrugated cardboard but made from plastic?
NO they are solid plastic, of some sort, some are PVC and others of different make up
BUT the guy I been getting things off of, also some times does have them as well, but there not really worth anything to me , way too weak to use on anything I ever do!
I did buy a special table saw blade made for plastic, but I also have cut them with basic table saw blades and or circular saws
I have also again used grinders with a cutting wheel in them too, some times that's the easiest way for me, pending thickness and ell material things are made of
as I said, some of the very thin stuff(1/8 inch or so) wanted to chip at times rather than a clean cut, but NOT with a grinder wheel
just the table saw
I was told to help stop the chipping, to HEAT the area to be cut some so its less brittle like, but never tired that yet?

My buddy paid $700 for a 5x5 Amish made blind, whereas I've put around ~$800 in materials alone into the one that we just completed. BUT...we built it 6' x 6' on 4x6 legs, used leftover 3/4" epoxied marine plywood (from my boat floor redo) on the floor, anchored it with mobile home anchors, and put Smartside Series 38 on the outside (as per Jack's recommendation, I think). We also went with Deerview deluxe hinged windows. The difference between the two blinds is night and day. If you can do it yourself and do it right, that's the way to go. But the Amish blinds I've seen and hunted out of are acceptable for what they are. No Taj Mahal, but they get you out of the elements.

Did it come with the scene on it our is they you own creation? Looks great!

That's some of my own creation. I took a pic on my phone of where I wanted the blind to be and did my best to copy it. I actually built,finished and painted the entire blind in my garage. I made it so all 4 finished walls and 2 roof came apart . So the entire blind stacks flat on a small trailer. I also Built the tower and floor in the garage and hauled it to the location on a trailer behind the SxS. Took less than an hour to stand up the tower and assemble the blind on top.

Last edited:
That's some of my own creation. I took a pic on my phone of where I wanted the blind to be and did my best to copy it

You did an outstanding job! It looks great!

I think you will have a real problem with that OSB on the inside especially during the summer. Moisture and OSB are not a good combo, but moisture and add heat will deteriorate it very quickly. Remember, the tighter you seal everything up on the blind, the more moisture that builds up and even plywood will have issues.

I bought 2 wood blinds once because they were priced right. Squirrels & mice chewed their way in. If you want to enjoy a real special aromatic experience, go into your wood blind mid summer after mice have been pissing & crapping all winter and spring in it.

I thought the same thing. I put up 2 OSB blinds on Labor day 2011. Sprayed 2 coats of good paint, hit all of the edges especially well. They still look as good as when I put them up, never would have guessed it.

I have had the same experience we used osb sprayed them inside and outside just as weathertight as the day I put them up I think it was in 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had the same experience we used osb sprayed them inside and outside just as weathertight as the day I put them up I think it was in 2013

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing. I put up 2 OSB blinds on Labor day 2011. Sprayed 2 coats of good paint, hit all of the edges especially well. They still look as good as when I put them up, never would have guessed it.

OSB is not designed to an external product, but rather an internal structural panel. Unlike plywood which allows moisture to pass through, OSB does not have that moisture membrane capability. It actually holds moisture and restricts it's release.

Rots from the inside ... cheap always costs more long run.