Efficient deer camp management?

zuren

Yearling... With promise
I wasn't sure how to title this post and sorry for the novel ahead of time.

I'm faced with a little disappointment this year and wanted to get ideas on how others make their hunting camp experience efficient with the least amount prep to see if my group can't regroup next year. Historically, I have hunted with 2-3 friends just east of Grand Rapids, MI, hunting the edges of corn and soybean fields that belong to the family of one of these friends. This has been the tradition for many years. Getting together has always been fun but the arrangement at this farm property does have it's challenges:

• Blinds are located in square, wood lots that are away from the road and access is not available until the crops come off. One blind is 1/2 mi. off the road; I'm willing to walk in but the other 2 "need" wheeled transport. The other blind is roughly 1/4 mi. off the road; again, no one will walk in.
  • Blinds have mini woodstoves but we never seem to have the foresight to cut enough wood and have clean, dry storage to have one session of cutting that will last us a few years. Seems like we are always scrambling to get wood prepped before opener.
  • Deer numbers have been dropping. Coyote numbers seem to be up (I shot one last year, missed a 2nd, never used to see them) and MI had a hard go around with EHD (http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150-26647--,00.html). We used to see 20+ deer a day. Now we barely see a few over 2-3 days, combined. I think the herd might still be recovering.

We used to spend a dedicated 3-5 days of hunting but now we can barely manage 2 full days between work and family responsibilities. I think there are 3 huge complicating factors to "how it used to be":

1. We are all married now with young families. One guy has a 2 year old, I have a 2 year old, the other guy has 3 kids that are now involved in sports. None of us have much time outside of our full-time jobs, let alone full weekends to head to the property to prep for the season.
  2. I think the size and behavior of the local herd has changed; the good ole days are gone and our behavior needs to change. Deer are no longer walking around like chickens so we can't be in the woods the weekend before gun opener with ATVs, trucks, chainsaws, and tractors changing the landscape, spreading odors, and making noise. My theory is that before, numbers were high, competition for forage was high, so they tolerated our noise and odors. Now I think they are pressured (human and predator), wary, and competition for food is low so they go where they aren't bothered.
  3. Nothing is managed out there - no game cams, no food plots, no salt licks, or anything like that. I think we need to change our approach.

My buddies have declared this year to "not be worth it" - $20 for a kill tag, 2 days of prep, 1-2 days of vacation, 1-2 hrs. of driving (for 2 of us) to MAYBE see a deer. Part of me gets it; I'm overworked and burned out too. But hunting is my recharge time so part of me is wanting to make the entire process and approach more efficient so it will always be worth it. After all, it is called "hunting", not "your time and effort guarantees you a deer". Some ideas I'm coming up with:
  • Get rid of the wood stoves, replace with propane heaters - wood is messy, smelly, and requires time spent cutting wood. Between the stoves, ATVs, and chainsaws, it makes me wonder if we are scaring off everything in the area before we ever get the opportunity to take a shot. I love wood heat but feel it is a liability now.
  • Move existing blinds or add new blinds to more strategic locations (corners of the woods, mature stands of trees - can't see anything in the brush unless we cut shooting lanes so lets focus our effort where we can see and don't have to work as hard).
  • Everyone bring their own contributions for food - typically we got together the night before and made a big grocery run. Now we are showing up very late or the morning of so this shopping trip isn't happening and instead of lunch in the woods, we leave and come back, running the ATVs (more noise and odors).
  • Start leaving the blinds in a state that when we leave, that blind is ready for the next day....or the next year. Last year I cleaned out rotten food that had sat all year because we thought we would come back out, but didn't.
  • Any work or improvements to blinds need to be made after the hunting season or in the winter when the ground is frozen, not days before we hope to shoot something.

There are some things I can't change. A kill tag is now $20 (used to be $10); one guy complains about that (but has no problem dropping $10,000+ on a Polaris Ranger...I don't get it). Can't change location of the farm, the vacation time one needs to take, or any demands at home. I'm hoping that making other changes will make the effort worth it.

What do others do? Has everyone gone through a lull in interest/commitment within the hunting party as family and home responsibilities compete?

All is not lost for me. I will either be hunting my own few acres or will head to my parents' 20 acres that has almost never been hunted (lots of buck sign). This situation is lighting the fire to try to obtain the bordering 10 acres to my property and get my own blinds up. I could go up to the farm to hunt by myself but I can do that at home, or maybe my dad would want to come sit out with me out at their property.

Again, sorry for the novel. Thanks for any thoughts!

Honestly times, priorities, and people change. I understand you trying to adapt and make it "easier" for everyone but I'd bet in the end you still end up disappointed with their lack of appreciation. We as hunters go through different phases over the years. Sounds like you are headed one way and they are headed another.

Kids change everything and only gets more complicated as they get older. This is looking like the first year I will have no one make it up to camp (and I provide all the food and drinks). It's not like they wouldn't want to be there every weekend, life just gets in the way. As far as your deal goes, for a couple days of hunting wood stoves seem like overkill. I would make less work and have more fun.

The only constant is change and as our personal lives change that carries over into other activities. You could tie a deer to a tree and some folks still won't show. What you will find is that as the kids get older and IF they take up hunting then the situation changes again....you old guys will be teaching the kids and a different level of activity will resume. I have a buddy that complained every year about the price of a deer tag but bought a new truck every two years - yep that made sense..... For now simply do what makes you happy. Try to keep the others in the loop and when the time is right the kids will potentially lead things to a different norm. Everything changes....some for the better some for the worse....but you can't fight it.

I don't know if I have a lot of sage advice, but I can relate to much of what you wrote in terms of priorities. I have only taken my bow out for two sits on my own, and have taken my kids out a few times as well. I will say this: if heat is an issue, get a Buddy heater and take a 20 pound propane tank and you will be good the whole time. No way would I cut wood for a short trip. Also, it sounds like less intrusion could only help you. If it were me, I would take a climbing stand and hunt where I thought my odds were best based on the history you have at the location and forget about blinds in less productive spots with poor sight lines. It sounds to me like you will stay close to home and maximize your opportunity, though, which may make for better hunting at the farm in the future, which should be set up in the winter like you suggested. Good luck!

You do not own the land, so you do not have the ability to change much if anything.
It is time to move on and just get together with your buddies to exchange stories after the season.

As others have said... Sounds like your goals and those of your hunting partners have changed. Nobody is "wrong" but some have more interest than others.

Go hunt the parents 20 acres and enjoy season. That way you won't have to try to make everything right. Everything you do will be for you and yours.

-John

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

For the 1 guy, heat is a priority. We've had some warmer Falls lately but he is always stoking the fire and hunting in his t-shirt. He won't gear up and sit in a climber if it is cold and nasty. So I think a move to Buddy heaters and 20# tanks is inevitable.

Rather than try to continue the tradition this year, I'll let this be and maybe offer up some suggestions for the late season or next year. We need to plan and work smarter, not harder. And if this is something that just fades, I guess I'll have to be at peace with that. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Taking a year off will help figure it out. Maybe they miss it and come back excited next year. Maybe they don't miss it and don't come back. And you might find that being able to do it your way when and how you want suits you better.

I'm having a hard time comprehending the blind situation. They almost sound like mini cabins.

I agree with chickenlittle. Take a year off. If the desire to hunt is still there next year, go back to hunting. I only use propane heaters in my blinds. Everyone used to walk to their blinds. Now all my hunters are driven out to the blinds and the last guy out parks the Suburban and walks to his blind. He then picks up everyone after dark at their blinds. Bad knees and old age force changes. People have to decide for themselves what is important in their lives and what are their priorities.

I'm having a hard time comprehending the blind situation. They almost sound like mini cabins.

They are. One is 8'x12' at ground level with woodstove, bar chairs, and multiple windows. The other is 8'x8' elevated roughly 8' with small wood stove and bar chairs. Both were built during a time when the woods was older growth with clear view from one side to the other.

Several years ago, the grandfather who owns the land had loggers come in to make a profit on the lumber. Now that the mature tree canopies are gone, sunlight is getting through and succession is taking place. You would almost have to be standing on a deer to get a view for a clear, safe shot in many spots. In hindsight, the blinds/cabins should have been located closer to the corners and brushed in.

OK My 2 cents
since NONE seem to be that big into pre season prep here
why not BUY a pop up blind for yourself, and set it up where ever you like if you NEED a blind
that saves you having to MOVE any of the existing one's and or building new one's which you's DON"T sem to have the desire to do
and I say desire, as., old saying where there is a WILL, there is a WAY to get things done
LACK of will here is a big issue on all pats
and I get LIFE gets you busy from , how we all lived yrs back!
BUT it can still be done if desire is there enough! just takes maybe more hard work to do so

OR just SKIP a blind at all, I have killed a LOT of deer without a hunting cabin/blind or tree stand, as have millions of other hunters I am sure of!
since NONE of you's can get there early anymore, YOU all should just fend for yourself,(food and supply's) and WHEN IF any show up, enjoy talking after the days hunt
as come on 2-3 days here, itsn't a BIG deal to have food and water or??

need fire wood?
Guess maybe for camp? (or blinds??REALLY?? sat in minus 40 temps in treestands for 8+ hrs NO heater, once again BACK to desire here)
why not PAY the farmer to have some ready for you, he is there ALL yr, and SHOULD have some down time after crops go in and till harvest time?, OR during the winter after hunting season, can cut green wood and will be good and dry come following hunting season!
OR< load your ruck or trailer up with enough to get you thru the 2-3 days?
OR how about THIS
get your buddy's to KICK in and PAY to have it done again? LOTS of time between season start and end to get together and chip in!
PAYING in advance MIGHT make them more likely to SHOW up too! having money invested here,
will also show you WHO is serious or NOT

MY hunting camp, has gone thru many changes and MANY members that went from die hards to NO shows, to pain in the a$$'s and got kicked out due to LACK of chipping in, in either time, money or work.
NO dead beats allowed in my camp
DON"T care if you don';t hunt at, but either your in like the rest or your NOT in at all
this again seemed to help a LOT of things, as once they HAD to anti up some coin, they were more vested and showed up, and as the yrs passed, MOST all are HAPPY they did show up, sure some missed a few yrs, but they still kicked in there share SOME Way to make it STILL THERE CAMP!
people have to be vested into things to appreciate them any more!

and as others said, you can always just hunt alone too
used to hunt several states a yr all alone, and don't regret a single trip , Heck, to be honest, many were plain awesome and GLAD I was all alone, LESS stress and hassle worries, ONLY ME to worry about and plan for!
you cannot MAKE others enjoy what YOU do, or HOW you do!
have to get really lucky and find like minded likes for that stuff and it can be an impossible task LOL

just hunt and enjoy! memories are YOUR"S to make them!

I have gotten members of my hunting crew to chip in work hours at the farm before they were allowed to hunt that season. They had some "skin in the game'' at deer camp. I got some needed work done at the farm. I have seen very few guys who hunted at my place dig into their wallets and offer to offset the myriad of costs involved in putting on a deer camp. If I wasn't having fun I would not bother having a deer camp.

The best advice I can give you is save money and try to buy a chunk of land for hunting. You will have full control and can manage it as you wish. I know a lot of guys on this site have done that, and never look back--very rewarding as well, and not as hard as some make it sound.

Yep I agree with Bwoods. My rules are my rules. It was told last year by me, that guys are slacking off on helping. Seems like you guys can get off 2 weeks during the rut, but never 2 weeks when we need to put in stands, food plots, cut firewood and etc. But the work is still there every year and I seem to be doing most of it now. That is going to end! So I told everyone you get a day of hunting for every day working. Sign the days on the calendar at the hunting shack, and we will count the days the end of august!

End of story!

I agree with what the others have said before. Times and people change. I used to hunt with friends and with a few of them I would just about put the deer right down their barrel so they would get one. We would see a bunch of deer and the next day on a couple occasions they couldn't roll out of bed for a morning hunt. I realized I was way more in to it then they were. My wife and I hunt together now. We take turns watching the kids and the other hunts.
A person just has to do what makes them happy. It would be fun to be young and free forever but everything changes.

I have to put a new roof on my cabin next year, and I already told everybody that stays there... if you want to stay here you must help. I doesn't matter if they hunt at the land or on public land, if they want to stay at the cabin they must help or they can rent a motel, then they don't need to do anything.