Cheap amish blinds?

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/d/casnovia-deer-blinds/7135109054.html

I am curious if anyone has ever bought one of these? Clearly not fancy like the Shadowhunter and others like that, but has to be 1/3 or even 1/4 the price. I'm wondering if they last though. I'm 130 miles away and got quoted $400 for delivering 3 of them. Seems steep but I can't seem to find any others closer to me near the Indiana/Michigan state line.

$400 is dirt cheap, especially delivered. The time and materials, they're not making much on them.

I personally don't like the setup and the small windows, but if you're gun hunting, etc, they'll get the job done. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry around us here, or Abe, Joe, and Leroy is probably more accurate, make them. They'll even come install them in your woods for ya. But I'm about 200 miles or more east of the Indy Line. They'll be well built. I have a custom made blind made by my hunting buddies (woodworkers by trade) So I am spoiled on my blinds. But there are a lot of "custom made" blinds out in our area if you wanna price shop em

here's another amish made blind, but I know they're expensive, although the fit and finish is pretty good on them.

http://www.dandmhuntingblinds.com/

Sorry, the $400 is the delivery fee. The blinds I was looking at are $375/each which is dirt cheap. I don't have a truck or huge trailer so it isn't easy to do this myself.

It is almost free labor! I build my own elevated box blinds. There is an example on this thread: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/stadder.12211/ Now they are custom made in place, so they have the exact features I want. I use ondura for roofing because it is not loud in the rain like metal. They are non-insulated because of my location. I would estimate that I have about $750 in materials on average in a 6x6 like the one in the link. The height off the ground has an impact on cost. The taller they are, the more expensive it is to find a safe way to get into them as I get older. For me 6x6 is a good size for a single hunter. I'm pretty big and it gives me enough room to get a firearm into position or draw a bow. When I introduce kids or new hunters to the sport I use 6x8 blinds. They are more expensive to build but work better for two folks. I find anything smaller than 6x6 too constraining.

Thanks,

Jack

I didn't copy you on the $400 being the delivery cost. $3 per loaded mile is maybe a bit steep, but they're able to do something you can't. So they kinda got you there.

The blind itself is way cheap

this is what I have

I finished out the windows and did a pretty crappy job so if you see water staining, that's an indictment on me.

Heck they started doing double pane plexi glass. It's not the worst.

Attachments

• BLIND 5.JPG
    BLIND 5.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 37
  • BLIND 2.JPG
    BLIND 2.JPG
    514.9 KB · Views: 37
trap door on the bottom. I've hunted myself and 2 kids in it, but that's super cozy.

I really like the 6 sided approach, More range of shooting than 4 sides, and I keep the curtains behind me covered to keep from being skylined or backlit

Attachments

• BLIND 4.JPG
    BLIND 4.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 24
  • BLIND 1.JPG
    BLIND 1.JPG
    496.2 KB · Views: 24
I know I couldn't make one to my liking for that price....and that is just the materials.

I would consider a few things:
#1 - how well you protect the wood will grossly impact how long it lasts for you.
#2 - how well do you want it to seal. At first it's great just to get out of the wind and hold a little heat....then you get greedy....
#3 - how will you move it around to place it. I doubt these are real sturdy so you aren't going to be able to be super rough with them without damaging them to some extent.
#4 - elevation....if you want these up in the air some...how do you accomplish that? I like getting up at least a little bit just so your not at eye level with the deer.

Also, don't discount good windows and as jbird said, if you can seal it up you can be dangerous. We use amazing foam and seal our seams and cracks, then if we can get into the blind without bumping deer, we don't worry about the wind. We have set up on a field edge with the wind blowing down the trail they're coming down, and been safe. They circle downwind to windcheck things, and we've killed a lot of deer like that. It's also great for a creek bottom where the wind always swirls and you know the deer are there but you can't huntthem because of the wind.

Just don't lock in with an ozone machine. You'll have a chest cold before dark.

I am curious if anyone has ever bought one of these? Clearly not fancy like the Shadowhunter and others like that, but has to be 1/3 or even 1/4 the price. I'm wondering if they last though. I'm 130 miles away and got quoted $400 for delivering 3 of them. Seems steep but I can't seem to find any others closer to me near the Indiana/Michigan state line.

I think you will have a real problem with that OSB on the inside especially during the summer. Moisture and OSB are not a good combo, but moisture and add heat will deteriorate it very quickly. Remember, the tighter you seal everything up on the blind, the more moisture that builds up and even plywood will have issues.

I bought 2 wood blinds once because they were priced right. Squirrels & mice chewed their way in. If you want to enjoy a real special aromatic experience, go into your wood blind mid summer after mice have been pissing & crapping all winter and spring in it.

If you want to enjoy a real special aromatic experience, go into your wood blind mid summer after mice have been pissing & crapping all winter and spring in it.

Oh, cmon.... you're tougher than that...

I open sewer lines and pump septic tanks for a living. Maybe I'm noseblind

I built this blind last year for around $700
20190813_172440.jpg20190813_172433.jpg

There’s a place in Hartford Michigan that builds them I have 0 experience with them but my dad got the steel for his pole barn from them might be worth a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one thing I see in there pictures, is some have particle like boards for floors and even walls, be it OSB or other type, and that stuff will absorb moisture and warp and rot away pretty fast if it gets wet!

if you were to BUY one, you should really consider this before doing so
and if still wanting one, I would eb making sure LOTS of coating of something GOOD to water proof things, from the BOTTOM side and then inside as well

bottom I think I would consider using a driveway sealer , and a few coats , each allowed to dry before the next!
inside I might use something more friendly to the nose and I would want things aired out a LONG time before hunting in them! and I would be treating the outside too with a good wood sealer!

as if not, they WON"T last very long IMO!

but they are cheap that's for sure, be hard to buy materials for there prices!
so, guess one could just replace ina few yrs if that is all they wanted to!

I think you will have a real problem with that OSB on the inside especially during the summer. Moisture and OSB are not a good combo, but moisture and add heat will deteriorate it very quickly. Remember, the tighter you seal everything up on the blind, the more moisture that builds up and even plywood will have issues.

I bought 2 wood blinds once because they were priced right. Squirrels & mice chewed their way in. If you want to enjoy a real special aromatic experience, go into your wood blind mid summer after mice have been pissing & crapping all winter and spring in it.

I thought the same thing. I put up 2 OSB blinds on Labor day 2011. Sprayed 2 coats of good paint, hit all of the edges especially well. They still look as good as when I put them up, never would have guessed it.

I agree on both things, OSB is not the best material for blinds due to how it absorbs moisture/water and will warp and deteriorate.
However, I also found if you can coat it really good to seal it up, it will last a long time, one blind I made is about 8 yrs old now and still looks like new!, its elevated about 4 ft only off the ground, so having good air flow sure helps
its also pretty air tight when closed up, still haven't had a mouse in it yet in all the yrs its been set up, but do get a few spiders in somehow?
webs will be in it come fall! !~

but the problem with these Amish blinds is, things are not going to be easy if at all possible to coat all sides and edges, so I think they will warp and or suck up water/moisture over time!

IMO< when building blinds for long term plans, nothing beats using better materials, but they will always end up costing a lot more, and odds are end up making a homemade wood built blind a LOT heavier in weight

my last two 6x6x6 blinds I used all treated wood and WOW did they get heavy, but they should outlast me I think LOL

I recently found a place selling sheets of 4x8 and 5x10 plastic, in up to 1 inch thick sheets, for pretty cheap prices!
I think of I made another one, I would be using that stuff, no moisture or warping worries, and if thick enough,m I doubt worries about cold temps and any cracking with be a issue too!

I recently found a place selling sheets of 4x8 and 5x10 plastic, in up to 1 inch thick sheets, for pretty cheap prices!
I think of I made another one, I would be using that stuff, no moisture or warping worries, and if thick enough,m I doubt worries about cold temps and any cracking with be a issue too!

You mind sharing where you found the plastic sheets and what they look like?

There is another place in Michigan that sells Amish blinds. The prices are very similar but they look a little better quality. I will see if I can find it. I have considered buying one for a few years but I dislike blind hunting.