All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cereal rye price this year

Crimson n' Camo

5 year old buck +
I've heard there's a shortage of cereal rye this year and the price is gonna be really jacked up. I hope this isn't true. Has anyone else heard this???

I paid 16.50 for a 50 pound bag through Merit. Not sure if it’s good or bad

That's a little high but not like I was being told. I heard it was gonna be well over $20. I think I got it for around $12 last year.

It adds up quick. I feel for you the guys planting larger plots. The rewards are well worth the end results.

I've seen some on CL for $7-10/bushel bin run. That's about normal but I also heard there was going to be a shortage and high prices.

$14 for a 50# bag here.

I bought bin run in Michigan, $7.50/bu. It was close to $20/bu certified seed.

Are you talking annual WR or perennial rye grass?

$13.20 a bushel here in Ohio (56 lbs)

$16.5 a bushel last weekend in Cook MN

I just picked mine up today. I called around as prices vary. The cheapest I found was $17 per bag.

I just picked up two 50 pound bags of WR for $16 each from Deer Creek Seed company in Windsor, WI. Same price as last year. The office gentleman indicated that the company has more semi loads of it coming in soon.

I "Always" pay $20 plus a bag because it's hard to find in my area. This year I found a guy that gets bulk and bags it. $12 for a 50 lbs bag. I have a new supplier.

$16 for 56lb bag in western NC, up a few dollars from last year according to my coop.

I haven't picked mine up yet but hear of 15.50 bushel here.

I haven't bought for camp yet, so I don't know local prices. I WILL say - around here I see many more farmers that had WR planted as a cover crop last winter into early spring. And I'm talking lots more than I ever saw in past years. I think farmers are smarter on soil health and conservation these days. It used to be common to see bare fields in winter around here. Now in winter - everything's got WR in it. More demand has prices ^^^ ??

Paid $14 each for 50 lb bags last week. Same place wanted $24 for 50 lb bags of wheat.

$11.95 for a $50 bag of WR at West Bend Elevator in WI. Pretty much the same price as the last couple of years.

50# Winter Rye $13
50# Winter Wheat $15
50# Winter Barley $23

I get my seed from a local CO-OP who gets it from Albert Lea.