Catch or No Catch

MNFISH

A good 3 year old buck

Last edited:
Looked like a catch to me. He caught the ball and was making a "football move" to reach for the end zone for the score. Had he broke the plane they would've ruled it a TD.

The expert said he didn't stretch enough for a football move. Maybe just karma from last week's call or should I say no call

No catch - if he would have grabbed the ball with both hands and reached for the goal line it would have been a football move.

Looked like a catch to me?

The expert said he didn't stretch enough for a football move. Maybe just karma from last week's call or should I say no call
Exactly.
Looked like a catch to me three steps and a hand down before the ball hit the ground.

The right call ... no catch ... karma is a bitch ... :p

Falling down and trying to catch your balance while moving in the direction of your initial momentum is not a football move. Had he changed direction in any way, it may have been different. In addition, I think if the defender had not gotten a hand on it, the call may have been different, but as he was trying to gain control of the ball after the defender touched it, it really brings in to question when true "control" of the catch took place, or if it was true control at all. Besides who is to say that they would have won either way. They would have given the ball back to the Packers with over 3:30+ left on the clock, plenty of time for 12 to move them into field goal range.

For arguments sake, here is the official NFL verbiage on the rule in question.

Here is what Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 reads: "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino tweeted shortly after the game: "Bryant going to the ground. By rule he must hold onto it throughout entire process of contacting the ground. He didn't so it is incomplete."

If they would have called that Dallas' way there would have been an uproar around the country like no other. Good overturn according to the rules.

It was not a catch, he did not have control initially and did not have a legal move before losing the ball. The rulebook states the found cannot cause a fumble but it can cause an incompletion. How about the worst call for personal foul. At least two Cowboys should have been flagged on that play.

According to the rules.....no catch.

As far as the rule being a good one, eh.

Seattle's offense is nothing special outside of Lynch but I'm not sure how we in Packerland get to see a win next week against that defense with a hobbled QB. The effort today made the season for me.

5-6 to open probably end around 7.5. I have no skin in the game but Rodgers is an absolute stud. He has also won me a couple fantasy championships! Hard to beat a good team 3 times in a row (I think Seattle won last 2) I like Pack to cover and win outright.

5-6 to open probably end around 7.5. I have no skin in the game but Rodgers is an absolute stud. He has also won me a couple fantasy championships! Hard to beat a good team 3 times in a row (I think Seattle won last 2) I like Pack to cover and win outright.

Bold.jpg

It was a nice try but not a catch.

Not sure what you guys were looking at.....but that was a catch in my book. Still......I'm glad the Pack won the game.

Not sure what you guys were looking at.....but that was a catch in my book. Still......I'm glad the Pack won the game.
Agree with above, not a good way to have a close game settled.

Football is fixed.

I wish he would have caught the ball so the Packers scoring on the final drive would leave nothing to debate. :)

Nice catch, bad rule then. Per the rule he has to maintain control while hitting the ground. ..He hit the ground and the ball moved so no catch. The refs determined he didn't do enough to be considered a football play. I.e the ground can't cause a fumble but can cause an incomplete pass.