Can i disc, spray and plant tonite

paoharcher

Yearling... With promise
Alot of rain in forecast next several days,was wanting to plant rape,groundhog forage radishes and pTT tonite,can i disc then spray with gly and plant all in one evening? Any and all input appreciated

I wouldn't, The gly needs time to soak in and kill the entire plant (roots and all). If you disc after spraying you limit effectiveness of the kill. I would spray sooner than later and plan to plant before for the next storm. (Also, please add your location or USDA Zone. It's nice know where everyone's at!)

My opinion- others feel free to weigh in...

I would let the Gly sit on the plants for at least a day but that is just me.

What are you spraying, you might just be able to disk it and kill off the weeds?

Another idea- If you have enough thatch/weed matter you could broadcast seed into the plot, mow and then spray. You could even skip the mowing if the weeds are aren't above 3-4 foot tall and just spray. After spraying, roll the plot with a lawn roller/cultipacker and if you don't have one of those, several trips over the plot with your 4 wheeler and let the wheels pack the seeds into the soil. If you go the spray and roll, I would wait a good hour before rolling it.

Sw pa.

If you are going to disc the plot good, you don't need to spray. Work up a good seedbed, cultipack or firm it, seed, and cultipack again.

Alot of rain in forecast next several days,was wanting to plant rape,groundhog forage radishes and pTT tonite,can i disc then spray with gly and plant all in one evening? Any and all input appreciated

It can take a long time for glyphosate to move into the plant and make its way around the circulatory system which includes roots. A simple answer is difficult because there are too many variables in play. One day might be adequate...or it may take a week or more. Since your going to disc just skip the spray.

Discing disrupts existing weeds. The amount of disruption depends on how much you disc. At the same time, it brings new weed seeds into the germination layer starting new weeds. Under normal conditions, none of the seed you plan to plant require discing. Glyphosate (assuming that is what you are spraying) has no residual soil effect and does not effect seeds. It only affects actively growing plants.

It is hard to say without a picture, but you might want to consider an approach where you spray the weeds, wait an hour or so for the gly to become rain fast, and then surface broadcast your seed. If you have a cultipacker, I'd go over the field with that after broadcasting the seed.

There are soil conditions and such where discing is necessary but that is the exception not the rule for the seed you are planting. Check out some of Crimson N Camo's throw and mow threads for more details.

Help the deer without hurting the soil...

P.S. If you don't have time for the Gly to dry or don't have a cultipacker, broadcast the seed first and then spray the gly.

Thanks,

Jack

You can, you'll have another new grow of grass & weeds after discing in 2-3 weeks.

Spray, wait a couple of days, them broadcast without discing.

Make sure you broadcast WR in early September as that will help retard weed & grass growth in the spring.

You can then start your discing/spraying routine in the spring ... at least 2-3 times depending on the history of the soil.

If you just go with discing and not letting it green up to spray you run the risk of all the seeds that you turned over will now germinate and you will be covered up in weeds.This won't be as bad if you are working ground each year and doing so before the weeds head out

I would skip the discing if you want to do it all in one night. Spread the seed and fertilizer, roll/cultipack it, then spray with gly. I think if you mow it instead of rolling/cultipacking you are also wasting gly, but I am no expert at this. I just tried this method last weekend myself.

c58901c4cad2919cfe1701073e6dc0fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk