Camper or permanent building?

Kooch

5 year old buck +
I'm going to put shelter at my place this Summer. I want it to sleep four comfortably. No need for anything elaborate. This is deer camp, not a second home. I do have electric on the property. I have two choices.

1. 16'x24' - Garage on slab. I know this'll be cold, and take a lot to warm up. But, for the short duration of the deer season, I'll bite the bullet and run electric heat while I'm away just to keep it from freezing and burn wood while there. This option will take a lot of work. It's moving a friend's unfinished garage, without siding, basically a shell made of OSB. He put it up last year and decided he needs taller walls. These are 8'. I'll have to frame in the front, install a couple windows, and a door, siding, soffets, etc... I'll have to wire it myself, insulate, add a real roof (It's roll rubber roof right now.) Then I have to furnish it etc... All in, I bet I'll be over $12K on the cheap, probably a lot more than that. The slab will be about $4K. He's asking $4K for the 2x6 framed garage, moved. Once it's in place, finished, and furnished, this would be a great, comfortable, secure option. The downside is effort involved, many trips back and forth while building it out. I'm also not expert at construction of any sort. So, there will be plenty of error I'm sure. Or, I'd have to pay to have the work done. There is some value in the satisfaction of a job well done on your own though.

2. Spend the same amount on a solid concrete slab of the appropriate length and width, and drop a used camper on it. I've looked at a couple used campers lately, up to 37' in length, and old models in good condition are very reasonably priced. If I went this route, I'd have shelter in just one trip up. All I'd have to do is plug it in. They are all mostly furnished already. Downside here is I can see a problem staying warm during a cold deer season like we had last year, and normally do. Also, it can't be as secure as a building on a slab. There is a lot more maintenance and more that can go wrong. Once it's infested, it's tough to purge the mice, etc....

I'm leaning toward option #1. But the lazy me thinks the trailer would be a lot simpler. Advice?

Option 1.

Comfort makes a huge difference. And over time, you'll all improve the place, and make it a real "Garage-mahal." Plus, you don'y have to heat the whole thing. You can wall off an area for sleeping and just heat that bit with electric.

I went the trailer route. Used 36' with a pop-out. I did not bother with a slab. I just leveled and had a load of quarry stone brought in. I used the boxblade on my tractor to level it and just packed it with the weight of the tractor. That was plenty good enough. My big concern with a trailer is the roof. Older trailers have all kinds of leak issues with the roof over time. They get a lot of stress with sun and cold. I solved this by building a pavilion over the trailer. I used 6x6 posts and built trusses out of 2x4s and used Ondura on purlins for the roof. This provides good shade for the summer when I'm working at the farm and the AC works much less to cool it. Heat is no problem. Mine has a great propane heater and it keeps the place toasty at 0 degree temps. I'm sure it works well even lower but we just don't get those temps here. I bought a used 300 gal propane tank and hooked it up in place of the small transportable tanks. Rather than mess with blowing out water lines in the winter, I simply turn off the water, open the faucets and set the temp at 40 degrees. I only use part of a tank each winter. I bought the tank because I get propane much cheaper if I own the tank. This is much less expensive the electric heat and heats up fast. If you are not using water or blow out the lines, you can just turn on the heat when you are there. You can use a much smaller tank for this. You could even use the portable tanks that come with most trailers and bring a fresh tank or two each time you go to camp.

We also have several sheds guys use. Rather than putting them on a slab, they leveled a couple 6x6s on the ground and put the prefab building on them. One reason for this is zoning. Any permanent structure in our county over 150 square feet requires a permit. Since the sheds are on "slides" and the trailer is on wheels, there are not permitting requirements for them. So, I'd check into zoning in your area.

What works for me may not be the best for you. Just wanted to pass on what I did an why so you can consider those factors.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
What works for me may not be the best for you. Just wanted to pass on what I did an why so you can consider those factors.
Thanks friend. That's why I'm asking. :)

Sounds like you'd be better off just building a garage. 4k isn't a good deal for that, even if exact size you want. After all- who else would want it? By the time you strip the roll roofing and frame in your desired changes, you could build your own in less time maybe. I'd start low balling....

If your thinking camper, why pour a slab for it?

Either a slab or a dozen loads of gravel if I do the camper. Just spitballing. Not married to the idea of the slab for the camper.

Sounds like you'd be better off just building a garage. 4k isn't a good deal for that, even if exact size you want. After all- who else would want it? By the time you strip the roll roofing and frame in your desired changes, you could build your own in less time maybe. I'd start low balling....

If your thinking camper, why pour a slab for it?

totally agree...

I find it hard to believe that the 4K on this unfinished building is a "value".

$8 for 2x6. Probably 100 for exterior framing $800 ballpark
$15 OSB probably 40 sheets $600 ballpark
$115 trusses 12 maybe $1300
nails and screws $100
joist hangers $75

maybe $3000 all in for everything???

if the roof is shingled.. you are toast as you need to reshingle. if the sides have tyvac you need to reinstall.

Me personally.. Get about 14 yards of road bond and dump it on your "site" pull up a camper. I would not waste your time or money on your friends "garage". you are gonna waste so much time and lumber pulling apart a building.

This is why I asked. Thanks guys. With regards to the building, there is some value in the fact that I don't have to build it. But I'm now thinking the camper is the way to go. Heck, even the pre-build shed thing. But, the pre-fabricated shed I designed with one of the Old Hickory dealers turned out to be about $9K, so not a huge raging deal either.

I live about 5 hours away from the land, so I can't just swing up there to work for a couple hours at a time.

This is the route i intend to go. 16x30 with a loft is $8200 delivered. Have not shopped around yet so may be room for negotiating. Not sure. These are not finished on the inside. Just bare studs. I plan to wire mine up with LED lighting an get some eBay solar panels. Gonna go off the grid with propane, wood stove and lil Honda 2000 quiet generator.
21B62AEE-E96A-42B0-81FD-326D97F1627C.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the route i intend to go. 16x30 with a loft is $8200 delivered. Have not shopped around yet so may be room for negotiating. Not sure. These are not finished on the inside. Just bare studs. I plan to wire mine up with LED lighting an get some eBay electric panels. Gonna go off the grid with propane, wood stove and lil Honda 2000 quiet generator.
I priced out similar, about $9K. Looks like yours is wider than what I priced out too.

Is the friend's shed $4000 rebuilt on your slab or just left in a stack for you to reconstruct?

Moved in one piece and secured to the slab. Slab not included. I have to take care of that. He's just a couple miles away and equipped to move a building.

That's what i would do, then.

I have went the camper route the past 16 years, and I have gone through a few different campers in that time. Between moss growing on the outside, mildew on the inside, and moisture problems with rotting the floors, I got sick of it and decided to go with the garage route myself. It is a permanent structure, and it will increase taxes, so that is something to keep in mind as well, but once it is built, you have a blank canvas on what you want to do with it. You can store your equipment in there, everything from ATV's, shovels, tractors, your vehicle, etc... stuff you cant store in a camper. I am at the stage that while the campers worked, and got us by, I regret not going the garage route many years ago. You can leave the outside to look like a garage, and then it will be taxed as such, but the inside you can design as you wish, separate bed rooms, kitchen area, a big party room with couches and a big screen, a pool table, things a cramped camper cant have.

The camper route sure is easier, and will work great for 5 years or so, until the camper starts rotting from sitting on dirt, and mice getting in them.

I have went the camper route the past 16 years, and I have gone through a few different campers in that time. Between moss growing on the outside, mildew on the inside, and moisture problems with rotting the floors, I got sick of it and decided to go with the garage route myself. It is a permanent structure, and it will increase taxes, so that is something to keep in mind as well, but once it is built, you have a blank canvas on what you want to do with it. You can store your equipment in there, everything from ATV's, shovels, tractors, your vehicle, etc... stuff you cant store in a camper. I am at the stage that while the campers worked, and got us by, I regret not going the garage route many years ago. You can leave the outside to look like a garage, and then it will be taxed as such, but the inside you can design as you wish, separate bed rooms, kitchen area, a big party room with couches and a big screen, a pool table, things a cramped camper cant have.

The camper route sure is easier, and will work great for 5 years or so, until the camper starts rotting from sitting on dirt, and mice getting in them.

I had similar concerns to what you are experiencing and took steps up front. First, I used a quarry stone base. This seems to deter mice and other critters. Next I put up a pavilion structure over the trailer. This was key to dealing with weather effects. I keep some rat poison under the cabinets so when mice do get in, they don't last long. I've had no mildew issues on the inside, but I have electricity so I run an AC unit in the summer. The temperature is set at 80 degrees when I'm not there, but it runs enough to keep the humidity down. My trailer was probably 15 years old when I bought it and I've had it in place for 10 years. It is still going strong.

I will say that we do have a barn on the farm. That is were all the equipment gets stored. We did finish a small corner of it for a bathroom/shower that is for community use at the farm, but we each have our own quarters. All of our toilets are tanked so they need to be emptied, both barn and trailer. I generally use the toilet in my trailer but love the full size shower in the barn. We wanted as much space in the barn available for tractors and equipment as possible.

Thanks,

Jack

Camper is only a temporary solution. Only reason I would not put in an actual building is if you have tax/building code issues that prevent it. Lots of folks I know build essentially a pole barn and essentially put an apartment in it. That way you can secure all your toys AND have a place to stay. You then can make additional improvements like a water source and septic if/when the time comes. The more you make it more like home and a pleasant experience for everyone the more time you will spend there.....

I built a 30x40' building that is about 1/2 living quarters and 1/2 garage space for my hunting cabin. All fully insulated with water, electricity and a holding tank for a sewer (couldn't pass the perc test for a standard septic field). I initially wanted to just build a rough garage and sleep in it, but after talking to the county about permits it was clear my plan wouldn't work. Basically if you sleep in the building at all it needs to be built and inspected as a dwelling. I'm really happy I went with the plan I did, though it was way more expensive than I originally planned on spending. We actually spend way more time at the hunting land now during the off season than we do while hunting so that makes the additional cost justified in my opinion. My cabin is in NW WI and believe it or not the concrete slab keeps the cabin cool in summer and somewhat moderate in the winter. It is insulated under the slab and I'm guessing that's why it works that way. I never would have guessed it could be uncomfortably cool in the cabin in August while it is 90 degrees outside, but it is. Good luck-

This thread needs more pics, I want a visual tour of these places!

I’m wanting to do similar in the next couple years.

Personally, having dealt with both, I'd go the building route. As Yoder said only you can decide what is best for you and your situation. Regarding option 1 I have to wonder what condition that OSB is in having been in the weather for year. I'm sure you've put eyes on it. I find as I get older a solid floor under my feet and roof over my head is what I prefer. I have a friend who has one of those prefab models pictured above. It's nice and fits the bill well. I'd build myself if given the chance but that's just me. Just for perspective, as you are 5 hours away, I put up a stick built 26X36 shop with attic trusses on slab at my home. In 3 days time we were dried in, excluding the vinyl siding and the garage door. With a good crew you can get a lot done in a short amount of time. Good Luck with whatever you decide.

If you go with the camper route and don’t need the water and sewer hookups look into the fish house campers. Without the fancy bathroom they have a lot of open floor room. Mine has a metal roof, forced air furnace that heats up quick and I have room to get a couple gravity chairs inside to recline and relax. I don’t have the penetrations for all kinds of utility hookups which keeps the mice out. I put thicker carpeting on the floor and it’s not too bad. My taxes stay low too.