Camera or new Spotting Scope?

Will also share this for the fixed-lens megazoom point-and'shoot type cameras. All will have multiple simple "dial turn" modes that help make things easier for users who don't want to get into the details of manual photography such as F stop, ISO, etc. For example my Canon SX60 has a moon mode, the Nikon P1000 has a bird mode, both have general auto modes, and I've increasingly turned to a "P" (program) mode that lets you program it to take multiple shots with preset slightly varying levels of exposure. I find these settings fun to play with while not as intimidating as having to fully study/learn shooting manual as professionals would want to do with DSLRs.

Thanks again bigbendmarine!

One last question (you've basically answered it)... Knowing that I will mostly only be taking shots from a tripod at my house, that I like to create pics from video captures, that my targets are 200yds or less, and that I'm cheap. Which camera would you buy today if you had to start over?

Once again, thanks a ton for taking the time to put together these posts with video links and example pics. You've helped me more than I could have helped myself (it would have taken a ton of time for me to figure all this out on my own).

Thanks again bigbendmarine!

One last question (you've basically answered it)... Knowing that I will mostly only be taking shots from a tripod at my house, that I like to create pics from video captures, that my targets are 200yds or less, and that I'm cheap. Which camera would you buy today if you had to start over?
Well... have to admit if spending more than $200 or so I'm a spreasheet kind of guy who anguishes over making the best choice... but fast as things change, today's choice may be different tomorrow... I'd fairly strongly lean to the Nikon P900 this very moment, and few reasons why.

While it's slightly heavier/bigger than the Canon SX you get awesome 83x optical vs the still impressive 65x with the Canon. Yet you avoid the ton of bricks size / weight of the P1000, while saving few Benjamins for distance that isnt really practical for footage 200 yards and under. It will rest / balance far better on your tripod as well in comparison to the lens-heavy P1000, and be far more practical to carry to the field or on vacations when you desire to take it. The Amazon review scores on the SXs have actually gone down with the last few models while the reviews for the P900 are a solid 4.4 out of 5.

That's my quick gut-feel answer.

Well... have to admit if spending more than $200 or so I'm a spreasheet kind of guy who anguishes over making the best choice... but fast as things change, today's choice may be different tomorrow... I'd fairly strongly lean to the Nikon P900 this very moment, and few reasons why.

While it's slightly heavier/bigger than the Canon SX you get awesome 83x optical vs the still impressive 65x with the Canon. Yet you avoid the ton of bricks size / weight of the P1000, while saving few Benjamins for distance that isnt really practical for footage 200 yards and under. It will rest / balance far better on your tripod as well in comparison to the lens-heavy P1000, and be far more practical to carry to the field or on vacations when you desire to take it. The Amazon review scores on the SXs have actually gone down with the last few models while the reviews for the P900 are a solid 4.4 out of 5.

That's my quick gut-feel answer.
Outstanding! That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!