Calendar for yearly work?

bjseiler

5 year old buck +
Anyone maintain a yearly calendar for habitat work? Ordering things, planting dates, etc?

I have tried and don't do a good job. Typically I try to keep things general with a decent window. For example my "timing" for this year looks like this:
Jan/Feb/Mar - TSI, burns, buffer maint
April - Fruit tree plant and prune
May - spring plots
June/July - blind/stand improvements
Aug - fall plots
Sept - stands up and prep
Oct/Nov/Dec - HUNT

Now - I will certainly add things to the list and the only thing I tend to order in advance is fruit trees (fall of the previous year to plant come spring). I live in farm country so lots of seed, chemicals and fertilizer and the like I have pretty good access to so I don't need to order. For my plotting I tend to get materials assembled early in the month with the intent to plant later in the month. I also like a month long window to hopefully find a weekend where I have time AND the weather cooperates. I figure if I can stick to such a simple list....maybe, just maybe I can actually get some things done and not be behind....but that seldom happens.

As an example of an "added project" - I have already planted 2 MG screens that I was able to knock-out in 1 day and that was simply because I had the opportunity to do so.

I like the Hunstand app for that. There's always something cool I find to do with it that helps me. And, I just have the free version. When I sync it back to my computer, I can go into more details with notes.

20200116_130932.jpg20200116_130844.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to use the "notes" app in my phone for my lists and the like....just because I tend to have my phone with me all the time. I am sure if you really wanted to go crazy you could set something up in you phones calendar and the like....

That app looks pretty good.

I think what I need to do is plan a reasonable amount of time for each job and then do each job in the allotted time. I just overwhelm myself with various projects and then half-ass all of them in order to fit it all in. Office Depot has big desktop calendars that could be useful for that.

Check "One Year to Better Deer" by Lindsay Thomas

bill

I do a little old school project management. During the season I brainstorm at various times, especially while on stand and text myself the projects. At the end of the season I have basically come up with the next year's agenda/plan.

I write them all down and then prioritize the job and what month/s they need to be done in and approx when in the month based on temp/weather/etc.

Next step I start with January on a loose leaf sheet and list the projects based on timing in that month. When I've exhausted Jan's. project list I then label Feb and continue until all projects are listed.

Then I put the sheets in a binder and on another sheet of paper I write each projects material needs in check list form and attach to the sheet the month they are part of.

As I go through the months/projects I check them off.

I've always operated this way as it was a similar format I first applied when choosing mepps spinners at around 10 yrs of age based on the species, when caught, and how many caught of said species per each spinner as represented in their catalogs they used to put out in a sporting goods store near me. I'm a bit anal this way:)

I just run a simple spreadsheet and put together a list for each trip. I start building it as soon as I shut things down for the winter. Prioritize what is time sensitive (planting, pruning), and what can be done when nothing else can (mud season, pre-plant time). Add to it, subtract from it, and then execute. First trip will be some late winter sun harvesting, trail clearing, scouting, cabin opening, garage cleaning, and cabin improvements.

Spread sheet for me too. I simply note the projects to be done, tasks to accomplish the project, time frame to complete, and that's it. I don't kill myself, but it does give me a guideline on how to spend my time while at the camp.

Google sheets and Calendar is good for sharing spreadsheets and calendars with multiple people. My wife uses these to keep me on track around the house. It sends me notices so I don't "forget" things as often.

Our projects as probably many habitat managers are extremely weather dependent. When possible we schedule any inside jobs for the bad weather days like we are in now, snowing, blowing and just plain brutal outside. Thus besides the honey do list projects things like habitat planning, seed and tree ordering, wire procurement, cage and mat cutting, new tree stand assemblies, sharpening chainsaw blades and deer processing knives for the year, viewing and making sense of the previous seasons trail cam pictures and the like get done inside during these bad weather days.

The one bad weather outside project we do every year when the snow gets too deep for the deer to reach ground browse is hinge cutting Poplar trees to feed the deer. If done two weeks ago when the weather was more friendly, the deer would have been eating the poplar tops when they could have been ok with other then reachable browse. So the poplar dropping project doesn’t necessarily go by the calendar but rather is done just after the worst possible outside conditions have arrived.

This year spring will be a crunch period. Due to crazy brush growth our property is becoming more and more difficult to hunt from the ground so many ladder stands are assembled and scheduled for spring installation. In addition have many fruit trees ordered to add to what is already out there and of course planting and caging is a must do spring Job.

Killing invasives and releasing wild apple trees is done whenever there is a decent winter day. We had such a day last week so many buckthorn were cut and treated. So no we don’t necessarily follow a daily planned calendar but a lot of thought does go into which projects will be done when.