Burn Hack N Squirt?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_0420.jpeg

This forty acres underwent hack n squirt four years ago. Would you burn it anytime in the near future or keep waiting because the fuel load is so high

View attachment 62999

This forty acres underwent hack n squirt four years ago. Would you burn it anytime in the near future or keep waiting because the fuel load is so high
Burn baby burn. Fuel load will only get bigger.

You can burn on a humid day and keep it manageable.

I think if anything you may have trouble getting a burn to carry. That rotting wood is usually saturated so it doesn’t burn like you hope. I think you will be fine

My enthusiasm is tempered by a personal history of having a burn "get away from me"

bill
He would def need a professional do the first burn. I always like to hire someone to do first couple them maintenance burns are much easier.

View attachment 62999

Do you have trees in there that you want to keep. If so I would clear the bases of them before you light that up. Hard to tell from the picture it may be hot or not and the intensity will probably vary. If you cook your trees that you want to keep you will be waiting 30-40 years on their replacements. Also what is your intention for the area? Looks like you have some decent cover on the ground level from from the slash. From the picture it doesnt look like you have enough light reaching the ground yet to hope for a big flush of growth after a fire.

If it were me, I would contact the private lands biologist for the area/county you're in to see if they will help. They had a crew come out to my place and do a burn. I just had to have the firebreaks in place, and they told me how wide they should be. Then, I would consider only burning a portion of the 40 acres every year to vary the age of succession and connect those units together so you have different ages touching each other.

Edited post to add in contact info for your area
Southwest
Ricky Chastain
7004 Hwy 67 East
Perrytown, AR 71801
870-331-1297
Ricky.Chastain@agfc.ar.gov

Last edited:
If it were me, I would contact the private lands biologist for the area/county you're in to see if they will help. They had a crew come out to my place and do a burn. I just had to have the firebreaks in place, and they told me how wide they should be. Then, I would consider only burning a portion of the 40 acres every year to vary the age of succession and connect those units together so you have different ages touching each other.

Southwest
Ricky Chastain
7004 Hwy 67 East
Perrytown, AR 71801
870-331-1297
Ben, I think he has a 300 acre farm with varying habitats. So this isn’t his only area.

I think 40 is a great size area to burn. Also, for first burn I find it better to burn it all, then consider breaking up for future burns. Burns aren’t a one a done thing. If only gonna burn once I’m not really sure juice is worth the squeeze with need to create firebreaks

Ben, I think he has a 300 acre farm with varying habitats. So this isn’t his only area.

I think 40 is a great size area to burn. Also, for first burn I find it better to burn it all, then consider breaking up for future burns. Burns aren’t a one a done thing. If only gonna burn once I’m not really sure juice is worth the squeeze with need to create firebreaks
Yeah, I like to have 1-3 year old stuff next to 3-5 year old stuff next to 5-10 and so on. Greater interspersion and juxtaposition indexes.

Yeah, I like to have 1-3 year old stuff next to 3-5 year old stuff next to 5-10 and so on. Greater interspersion and juxtaposition indexes.
I like that too. I typically mow a 20 foot strip. Disc a 20 foot strip, and do nothing on third. Then I alternate burns in the whole thing. But I hear you.

Also woods burns are a little harder to break up than a field for burns. Putting firebreaks down middle can be tough.

Southwest
Ricky Chastain
7004 Hwy 67 East
Perrytown, AR 71801
870-331-1297
Yes, I have known this private lands bio for 40 years. Our state forestry will burn for a reasonable fee. I would enlist them to do it. I aint burning 40 acres by myself. There are residences in the area - so smoke management is important. There is plenty of open ground for sunlight. I definitely want to keep the trees I have left - but forty acres is a lot to rake around the remaining trees.