building an 8x8x16 deer blind

I'm not sure where you are located. I'm down in zone 7a where heat is more of an issue than cold. I don't need traditional walls or insulation. I just use 4x4s on cement pillars for the corners. I have a jig I built for 6x6 blinds that let me put up the entire blind by myself. Here is a thread with an example and pics. https://habitat-talk.com/threads/foodplot-stand-transfered-from-the-qdma-forum.5529/

This would not do for folks up north that want insulation from the cold, but it is much less expensive and perfect for my climate.

Thanks,

Jack

Here is one I built last spring, i buried cedar logs down 5ft and put concrete in the hole. I'm in wisconsin so i want to get below frost line. I went up 8 feet and put a redneck on top the platform. Platform is 10×10. Im on top a o huge hill looking over my hardwood valley to the east and food plots to west and south. Plots but up to the swamp down below the hill. It a 100 yard shot to the bottom of the field. This guy was the first on shot out of it. IMG_6348.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1724(1).jpg
    IMG_1724(1).jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 61
I've gotten as much done as I can without help. Tomorrow I'm drafting the family to help me stand up the walls.

One wall is 16" shorter than the other to give 2:12 slope. The slope will face south, in case I decide to put solar on it later.

View attachment 44282
Nice sounds like a great family project.

@yoderjac & @Robert86 Those look nice, but I have a different intent. I'm calling it a deer blind, but I'm wanting something that is a small version of a post-frame barn for secure storage in the lower level. Eventually I'll build several of these. This is an hour from home and I currently have no secure storage there. I want to safely store equipment. Eventually, in at least one of the structures I hope to put solar power and start building out power-over-ethernet and wifi connected security cameras that I can view live on my phone.

Getting them raised was more difficult than I expected. I should have arm-twisted our son to come help. But he wanted to play with friends lighting fireworks. So me, my wife, and our daughter got it done.

The temp was around 99, but at least it was mostly shaded.
IMG_1855.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_1858.JPG

Done for the day:

IMG_1859.JPG

It should be stable enough in the wind for now. There are 6 cross cables, and half the floor is on.
The floor is 8 foot from the bottom of the posts, around 9 foot from the ground.
You'll notice the 2x4s on the separate level have inconsistent spacing. That's because there is a
2x4 that's 39 inches from the floor, and another 24 inches above it. I've bought 5 double pane
vinyl windows 24" tall.

That makes perfect sense. A lot more structure needed for that intent. It's coming along nicely! Happy 4th!

That makes sense, im looking at building a 3 sided shed by my farm to keep my stuff in as well. I hate having my food plot equipment sit outside and my dad's shed is getting a little full.

Looks like you are off to a good start. I have two blinds that are 12x12x16 to the top floor level. These are on two different properties that are 4 miles apart. The one below is three story with a poured concrete floor. It has a regular door at the bottom and swing out wider doors as well. You can access the levels from outside via stairs or from the inside via a permanently mounted ladder. The other one is not closed in at the bottom but has a storage building bolted to the legs on one side.

JiFthi5.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a good start. I have two blinds that are 12x12x16 to the top floor level. These are on two different properties that are 4 miles apart. The one below is three story with a poured concrete floor. It has a regular door at the bottom and swing out wider doors as well. You can access the levels from outside via stairs or from the inside via a permanently mounted ladder. The other one is not closed in at the bottom but has a storage building bolted to the legs on one side.

JiFthi5.jpg
That ain't no deer stand. It's a penthouse! 😀

looking good!

You need way more glass in that thing. I built an 8x8 years ago and it's just terrible to hunt out of. You shouldn't have to walk around inside a stand to see out the windows.

You need way more glass in that thing. I built an 8x8 years ago and it's just terrible to hunt out of. You shouldn't have to walk around inside a stand to see out the windows.
I'm not in a cold climate, so I don't use glass windows at all. I just use hinged push out windows. They work well for me as they shade sun from coming inside and making movement more obvious. In my area most of the season is warm, so I don't seal my blinds. They are created for ventilation and to have an updraft. I find glass windows problematic. I don't like opening windows in the presence of deer adn if you leave them open, it sort of defeats the purpose of sealing the blind. A sealed blind would get way too hot in our archery season, but I certainly understand how guy up north want protection from wind and cold.

ksjoe,

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

Thanks,

Jack

Beautiful!

I intended to finish the door last weekened, but I got access to a dozer, so my plans were preempted. I got back to it this weekend.

IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG

Latch closeups:

IMG_1972.JPG
IMG_1973.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG

Hinge closeups:
IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

Very nice!