Building a mock scrape / What type of branch?

Bluecollaroutdoors

5 year old buck +
I have a spot that really starts to get cruising bucks passing by starting right about Oct 25th. After a windstoUntitled (2).jpg rm I noticed a piece of cedar hanging down in the area almost right for a scrape....but too high. There is no perfect tree right where I want it but I could hang a branch down from way over head off that cedar getting it down to 3 or 4 feet.

If you had to doctor up a scrape tree what kind of branches would you pick to cut off a tree and stick in one you want? I will have to zip tie off that big cedar.

Some guys use rope 3's kinda low isn't it? 4 too?

I use shingle oak branches!

I used a Red Oak branch. Just put it up last weekend so I don't know if it was good choice or not.

Oak. I usually take branches from areas where I know there were scrapes the prior year. You might be able to find a fresh branch over a scrape right now to use. I hang them about chest high and bend about a 12" piece down so it is dangling right above the scrape.

One other thing I forgot to mention, drink about 32oz of water about 30mins before you start this project;)

There is no perfect tree right where I want it.

Use what's there. I've used white oak, shingle oak, cedar even honey locust.
I think their like kids, If it's sticks out they have to play with it.

Heck this year I copied Johns experiment and put a hybrid poplar in a clover patch with a post hole digger. They're tearing it up.

Type of branch really doesn't matter. I've been using sugar maple's lately because they like to eat the leaves... might as well add a little attraction. I've used burr oak limbs and cedar branches and they all get hit equally well. Get it in a high-traffic spot about 4-5 off the ground and they'll hit it.

Which one would you pick in this photo?

20151021_175521.jpg

This was taken yesterday while I was leaning against a tree 30yds from a real scrape. You can't see it in the pic, but it's just behind the 3rd prominent tree from the left. About 1/3rd the frame in.

The licking branch is shoulder height on me - so around 5'.

I also peed in it. If I can muster up a dousing, I always do. My turf! :D

I am lucky, I have both red and burr oak, about 10 to 15 feet tall. I left them when creating food plots. From year to year different ones get used.

Type of branch really doesn't matter. I've been using sugar maple's lately because they like to eat the leaves... might as well add a little attraction. I've used burr oak limbs and cedar branches and they all get hit equally well. Get it in a high-traffic spot about 4-5 off the ground and they'll hit it.
What do you use to get the scrape started or to refresh. I have herd of guys just urinating in them but would like something hot that brings them back.

I've never p'd in a scrape before. With all the lengths we go to ( to stay scent free ), I guess I'd wonder why we should leave a " calling card " in a scrape ?? Has anyone done this ??

Some guys use rope 3's kinda low isn't it? 4 too?
Yeah I was one eye open still laying in bed when I typed that. Brain wasnt warmed up yet. 6 feet is more logical. There are branches 9 feet up and I thought a couple of hardwood braches full of leaves down to about 6 feet would visually be much better.
They deer are going to walk there for the most part anyway. I just figured lets get 90 percent instead of 60 and with a new no flash blackout camera I could get some really sweet video of them messing with it.
Also its 27 yards to that spot and I could never should there in previous years. I have a hole now. Would really help to hold them in place at that spot.
The buck in the attached pic was dead to rights but unshootable last year....well if I wasnt at work at least!

Deer want their scent in their scrape. It's "their calling card" so does know they've marked it as their turf. By desecrating it (leaving YOUR scent), you're saying they're not the owner of that area and the does in it. It pisses them off if they're truly the areas alpha. The theory is that if someone else is challenging their ownership, he'll patrol it more so he can kick jr's ass and keep his booty lined up.

I have had plenty of luck with the old "me pee" method. I think the visual of the big clear spot in the leaves is key, the branch cracked so it kinda dangles in there face is key and of course some smell and not sweat or touching everything in site when you do it.
But yes I have just walked up, scratched dirt with a stick or kicked the leaves away, took a leak and had pics the next day.

Actually facebook reminded me that this worked exactly a year ago today on a decent 9 pointer. A scrub to most of your but a shooter in my woods.

Attachments

• CDY_0001.JPG
    CDY_0001.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 13
I can see where the skepticism comes from, but it plain works. Been doing it for years w/ cameras capturing the results. I setup mocks in front of all my stands w/ a BF camera on video. Does hit them too, especially when they're ready... if that happens you'll have every buck within a square mile that'll hit it within 48 hrs.

PICT0050.JPG Same spot, its junk until right now and then they start at midnight, 3, 6, and eventually daylight cutting this corner. PICT0047.JPG PICT0047.JPG

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 7
One other thing I forgot to mention, drink about 32oz of water about 30mins before you start this project;)
I prefer beer. I also have a few made from rope that have been up for a few years now.

I take a leak in a mock just before getting into the stand. The wife gets a kick every time I pull the cards.

I take a leak in a mock just before getting into the stand. The wife gets a kick every time I pull the cards.

Ha, I just did that about 15mins ago and my cam is set on video. Lucky for you guys I turned the cam off first:D