All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bud 9 Questions

Criggster

Yearling... With promise
I grafted a few trees for my small backyard on B 9 rootstock. I plan to permanently stake them individually with metal conduit. Would you suggest any additional support for the branches? My wife is against the idea of support wires so I was thinking if I need to support the branches I could use lengths of rebar inserted through a hole in the support stakes. Also, anything else I should be aware of with this rootstock?

Stake permenantely with an 8' steel tposts. Conduit isn't a stake, it should be used for training the leader on a young tree only.

It's not the branches that need support but the trunk of the tree which you will attach to the T post. This will support the tree to prevent the load from bending and breaking the tree near the graft Union or anywhere else on the main trunk

It's not the branches that need support but the trunk of the tree which you will attach to the T post. This will support the tree to prevent the load from bending and breaking the tree near the graft Union or anywhere else on the main trunk

Thanks for the advice! Do you think 8' T-post is tall enough? After sinking it a foot into the ground it will only be 7'.

If you can get a 10' i'd get a 10'er. I just said 8' because thats the biggest i can get locally without hassle. I haven't sought out taller personally. On some of my G30 i'm currently using an 8' tpost with a 10' conduit attached to it, stretching up to about 12'. This tree is going into it's 3rd leaf and not producing much fruit yet. Once the thing starts dumping I might have to do some re-enforcement.

Should be enough for dwarf trees based on the weight beating portion of the main trunk