Bud 118/ T-Budding question

James P. Bipps

5 year old buck +
I have 10 b118 rootstock growing that I planted this spring. They are approximately 18" tall. I want to Tbud to them. I would like to do it this year ( in the next week or two). Below are 3 pictures of what I have to work with. First picture is with screen on .. second with screen off, third with most growth pruned off.

How would you T bud these? Like in the 3rd picture with most pruned off and leaving one branch of growth...Tbud to the original rootstock or new growth (which might be too small of diameter) and cut off above T Bud during pruning season in the spring?

Or would you leave all or most growth on, like pic 2, and Tbud and prune off in spring?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
Pic are in next post

cid:6581133F-3B1A-458A-87F8-11A9225E0F51

cid:4E269548-52DF-4CA1-A4F4-4BA2B8F8664E

cid:D5311B8B-0DCF-49E6-879F-C8904FB57975

Sent from my iPhone

IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1096.JPG IMG_1097.JPG

I'd clean it up and Tbud as shown in picture 3. I would skip the screen for now. Instead get some 1/4" hole hardware cloth and make a 6-8" diameter tube. In the spring, cut the stock off an inch or so above the Tbud. Do 2 or 3 t buds on each stock. Then prune back to the one best tbud next summer. Put screen back on next fall or the year after.

On the first/second picture I would add saw dust to the base half way up the rootstock and leave it until spring. Then you have 3 rootstocks next spring to graft.

On the 3rd pic, do 2 t-buds on both sides of rootstock 6" and 8" high. You'll get one of them to take I'm sure.

Interesting point on my a stool bed out of them. Would that work if you started in August? Not sure if there would be enough rooting by spring.

I have some older P18 and B118 that I might cut off in the spring and stool. I would try to tbud some of those next summer. That way they can go right into the nursery without benchgrafting.

tried t-budding them they last 2 years and they are getting big. If they were in a better spot, I might let them grow out.

Interesting point on my a stool bed out of them. Would that work if you started in August? Not sure if there would be enough rooting by spring.

I have some older P18 and B118 that I might cut off in the spring and stool. I would try to tbud some of those next summer. That way they can go right into the nursery without benchgrafting.

tried t-budding them they last 2 years and they are getting big. If they were in a better spot, I might let them grow out.

You will have roots in 3 weeks. Through the fall and early spring they will have plenty of roots.

I would t-bud each stem and add sawdust, you will have three rooted and grafted trees by next spring.

I T budded all 10 yesterday with 2 buds each...easy peasy.