Buck rub in mid February?

j-bird

well I posted this in several places so I thought I would post here as well. Anyone ever see a buck rub in mid February? I was out over the weekend looking for sheds in a willow area where I tend to find them and saw this. it looked really fresh and all I can think is that a buck is trying to intentionally knock off an antler. No sheds found, but I still have a buck in the area for sure. I even think I know which buck it is, but I really want a shed to confirm. I intend to revist this spot every weekend and hopefully can get to the shed before the other critters do.
rub.jpg
rub shave.jpg

I've read that bucks will rub until they knock their antlers off. It just becomes very infrequent in the winter months.

I've never seen it but it wouldn't surprise me for one with an aggressive personality to do it.

Either your brown dog was with you or a deer was laying 10 yards behind the rub.

I've never seen it but it wouldn't surprise me for one with an aggressive personality to do it.

Either your brown dog was with you or a deer was laying 10 yards behind the rub.
Everybody has commented on that - it's my dog.

I don't remember ever finding a " freshy " in February. But that's a good find. Let us know if you find sheds around there. Be cool to see what made the rub ??

i've found quite a few sheds with fresh bark shavings in the burs and beading. I found one shed back in 2012 on January 25th as i was doing some scouting of a staging area. I found a what looked like a really fresh rubline and started following it. After going about 35 yds and 3 rubs later i spotted a nice shed laying about 15 yds ahead of me. when i picked it up the gnarly base had all sorts of bark shreds in it. I'm pretty sure that it was shed from the buck who had made those rubs.

I think this is the buck that made it.
bucky.jpg
He isn't a monster but I had a few encounters with him in this area and I think the thicket nearby is one of his hiding spots (not my property). He has a bit of an attitude as well. He caught me once - I was looking at a rub and was not paying attention and sort of shook the branch.....he didn't like that. I heard him grunting then and he didn't see me in the switchgrass. I could have killed him, but I felt he needed at least another year. I will go back every weekend and see if I can find a shed. If it's this deer I am pretty tickled he is still alive and still using part of my property. I have never really had a chance to build a history with a buck and maybe, just maybe I will have the chance with this one. Most bucks I kill wander in from other properties - just a fact of life in my area.