Broken limb

Nova

5 year old buck +
I messed up bad this weekend. I had a large limb on a mature apple tree that has been growing up right next to the leader. Finally decided to fix this by pulling it down and putting a board between the limbs to hold it. I figured it was warm enough to do this so I pulled the limb down with a tow strap and a come along and left it over night. The next morning I went out to find the limb had cracked badly away from the tree. Is there any fix for this? How should I protect the tree?20190330_132727.jpg

I'd cut the limb off and then run a bolt through the trunk. Tighten it up and hope it heals.

Ive seen that done with a non fruit tree and it healed fine with the bolt. Been living/standing for 20 years post surgery.

I feel your pain, took a lot of years to get that tree to that point and now you feel like you have ruined it. Makes you feel sick, have had similar incidents. I don't have an answer but I am very interested in recommendations and reports on how it works. I wish you luck.

I would definitely cut off the limb. that will take the weight and stress off that wound and allow it to close. With the limb gone I don't think you need to bolt it. I would just use grafting seal to seal it up and watch it closely. I think it will heal fine.

if it was my tree and I was left up to my own devices....

#1 - I'd fill that split as best I could with wound sealer. Moisture and insects into that wound is your worst enemy for the health of the rest of the tree.
#2 - remove the limb. That weight on that split is just going to work against you long term. if the wind catches that limb just right it will split the rest of your tree.
#3 - pull the split back together as tightly as possible on temporary basis.
#4 - look into a long term fix (like using all thread and fender washer to keep that wound closed). Again use wound sealer....
#5 - plan for the worst. Get your cutting and the like off of the tree and start grafting another tree(s). This tree could live many more years or could be shot in only a few. If it s a good producer, don't entirely loose the tree.

Thanks for all the advise!!

Am I missing something? You can't bend a large limb into a new angle by bending it out.
This only works with new wood.
I'd cut the limb off and make sure the wound can drain out the bottom.

Am I missing something? You can't bend a large limb into a new angle by bending it out.
This only works with new wood.
I'd cut the limb off and make sure the wound can drain out the bottom.
I didn’t want to be the one to say it. That is one big branch.

I didn’t want to be the one to say it. That is one big branch.
Don't be afraid to say it! All we can do is drag your name through the mud and cast dispersions on your reputation and family.
All in good fun, of course.