Broadheads

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
Wondering what everyone likes.I have always shot fixed blade on everything and would continue on elk even if I switched for deer.I am going to shoot a G5 on a doe and see how they do as they seem to fly good.

Always have been & probably always will shoot a fixed 2 or 3 blade broadhead. Three blade 125 grain VPA's are my "go to" broadhead now. Well made from one piece of steel. EASY to sharpen and they hold an edge. Fly great and I usually pull the arrow out of the ground after it's passed through a deer. I'm not concerned if I hit a scapula or shoulder bone. Then I reuse the blade. I shoot a fairly heavy 575 grain small diameter arrow right now as well. That's what I like anyway.

Always have been & probably always will shoot a fixed 2 or 3 blade broadhead. Three blade 125 grain VPA's are my "go to" broadhead now. Well made from one piece of steel. EASY to sharpen and they hold an edge. Fly great and I usually pull the arrow out of the ground after it's passed through a deer. I'm not concerned if I hit a scapula or shoulder bone. Then I reuse the blade. I shoot a fairly heavy 575 grain small diameter arrow right now as well. That's what I like anyway.

Do you like the vented or unvented blades? Thinking about trying these.

Fixed solid steel

I am still shooting 2-blad Rage. I think you either love em' or hate em'. I have the old style that seat on the rubber O ring, which is something I dont like as it is easy to bump a blade loose. However I havent shot a deer in the boiler room and had it ever go more than 125 yards. Most of them have dropped within sight.

I've shot rage expandable broadheads for a while and never had a problem with them. Going to try out some of the new "Beast" broadheads from the Bowmar crew. Not a Bowmar fan but these new broadheads look pretty intriguing to me.

I shoot Magnus Black Hornets. I went to a heavier arrow setup a few years ago with a cut on contact fixed blade. Haven't been disappointed. The last expandable I shot was a double lung buck in the snow and it never bled a drop until it hit the ground. Fortunately it only went 60 yards and I saw it fall. When my dad came over he asked me If I was sure I hit it and I said it was laying right over here. All the bleeding was internal.

I loaded up on inexpensive solid Trochar Tips.

low profile, Trochar tip. Fixed blade. Decent blade lock system.sharp, thicker blades.

cheap Walmart in the spring usually has some crazy cheap.

thats what I look for.

Do you like the vented or unvented blades? Thinking about trying these.
I have shot both with positive results. I'm favoring the vented at this time because they come in a larger cutting diameter . 1 & 1/4" I think. While I'm at it, the other thing I like about them is that they are cheaper to shoot in the long run IMO. With a mechanical or replacement blade type head I think guys end up having to buy replacement blades once they've been used on game. I can practice with the fixed blade I'm going to hunt with, touch it up with a file and ceramic stick and I'm good to go. Since they are carbon steel, I put a thin layer of vaseline on the blode.

Sevr for expandable, micro hades for fixed.

I have shot both with positive results. I'm favoring the vented at this time because they come in a larger cutting diameter . 1 & 1/4" I think. While I'm at it, the other thing I like about them is that they are cheaper to shoot in the long run IMO. With a mechanical or replacement blade type head I think guys end up having to buy replacement blades once they've been used on game. I can practice with the fixed blade I'm going to hunt with, touch it up with a file and ceramic stick and I'm good to go. Since they are carbon steel, I put a thin layer of vaseline on the blode.

Thanks for the reply. I've been shooting Rage mechanicals for about 10 years and just looking to go back to a fixed blade.

Swat broadheads. I love them.

Always liked Slick Trick 4 blade. Muzzy fixed 3 blade would be a close second.
Slick tricks for me also. Using them on aluminum bolts with high success.

I shoot Rocket 🚀 hammerheads or Rocket Meat seekers! Very deadly. They leave massive blood trails .

I killed alot of deer and a couple elk with thunderheads,and have been shooting slicktricks lately was looking at wider cut options.I have some 3 blade G5 I am going to try

I’ve been a Rage user for 7-8 years now. Have had nothing but great experience. Switched from G5 Montec when a perfect hit resulted in no blood trail and a lost deer.

As much as I dislike Dicks because of their gun policy, I stumbled upon this deal a week or so ago…so I stocked up. Package came yesterday so I’m set for a good while. $16.49 for a 3 pack is a smoking deal, I picked up 10. These are the blister packs of 3 that are on the store shelves, not the Chinese knockoffs.

Why do you think the G5 failed?

Why do you think the G5 failed?
Not 100% sure as I never found the deer. Broadhead was razor sharp, the shot was 16 yards broadside and I couldn’t have placed the arrow any better. I would aim in that same spot again 100 times out of 100. The arrow was a pass through and covered in good blood. The deer ran off about 40 yards and stood in the brush. I expected him to get wobbly and tip over. He stood for over 5 min and then just walked off. There was no possibility for a follow up as it was super thick. There wasn’t 10 drops of blood where he stood. I searched for 20 hours to no avail. No doubt that deer died somewhere.

I had killed probably 15 deer and a bear with Montecs up to that point and never was real impressed with the blood trails but they were all dead. After this shot my confidence was lost and I needed a change. Sometimes that’s all it takes. I bought some Rage broadheads, retuned the bow and shot a buck a week later that had a blood trail Stevie Wonder could follow. I haven’t looked back since.

In my experience if an animal is hit in the boiler room with a sharp broad head, and the arrow had completely passed through. The animal will expire in under 5 seconds. ( often under 3).

Last edited: