Broadcasting cuttings

John-W-WI

Administrator
All of the rain we've had this year has made me go crazy. Getting spring plots in was a challenge, spraying them was even harder. We've had what seems like a 100" of rain in 60 days. I'm exaggerating, but you get my drift.

I have a large food plot that I need to screen the edges. It was standing timber until I logged it. Now there is no transition. Just a hard edge. Deer tend not to enter it until near dark, other than does and fawns by the dozen.

So I tried a little experiment:

0628141525.jpg
I had sprayed the edge (mostly weeds and clover) a couple weeks ago.

0628141728.jpg
So I made a couple of passes with a vibra-shank (about the only tillage tool that works in my rocks)

0628141741.jpg
And then very scientifically broadcasted cuttings. (driving the ranger flinging cuttings out in front my travel path).​

0628141857.jpg
I went over it 2 times in opposite directions trying to get full coverage.

0628141933.jpg
Then I hit it again with the vibra-shank trying to bury the cuttings. Some ended up the wrong way.

0628141933a.jpg
Some the right way.

0628141933c.jpg
Some partially buried.

0628141934a.jpg
Some fully buried. (I believe many of them were buried too far to see).
I wouldn't recommend this planting method, but it was worth a try. If the cuttings make it, I'll hit them this fall with some herbicide to give them a better chance come spring weeds. We'll see how it goes!

-John

This will be an interesting thread to follow.

I don't know how this method will work with hp/hw cuttings, but you would have no problem establishing a field of Johnsongrass by broadcasting the rhizome cuttings in this manner.:eek: Best of luck John and keep us informed. Btw, how is the "cutting dome" coming along?

Very interesting.....I'll be curious to see how these do. Looks like you didn't sell all your cuttings this year?

I don't know how this method will work with hp/hw cuttings, but you would have no problem establishing a field of Johnsongrass by broadcasting the rhizome cuttings in this manner.:eek: Best of luck John and keep us informed. Btw, how is the "cutting dome" coming along?

I'll get a fresh picture of the domes and post them... They are both taking off BIG time!

Very interesting.....I'll be curious to see how these do. Looks like you didn't sell all your cuttings this year?

No, we didn't sell out. We sold more than we've ever sold before, but the nursery out-performed sales :)

The cuttings I broadcasted was quite the mix though. Some hybrids, some shrubs, and some specialty willows. If they grow I'll have the prettiest screen in all of the country!

I have 2 major concerns with this planting method. Weed control will be impossible until they go dormant, and the cuttings had been in storage for almost 6 months. That is too long for some of them to have a chance. I'll keep an eye on them and post the results here.

-John

John, I'm sure it is specific to individual types, but at what length does a cutting become too short to have enough stored energy to not be able to survive?

Cool idea.

Won't help with broad leaf weeds but cleth and fusillade II would be a good pre and post emergent mix for grasses.

Hope it works out for ya!!!!

These pictures are a few weeks old, but the cuttings have done better than I expected (the bulk of them were still viable, even though they were in cold storage so long)

Broadcast cuttings 1.jpg Broadcast cuttings 2.jpg Broadcast cuttings 3.jpg

A few more:

Broadcast cuttings 4.jpg Broadcast cuttings 5.jpg Broadcast cuttings 6.jpg

And finally:

Broadcast cuttings 7.jpg Broadcast cuttings 8.jpg

Grasses are starting to set in, hopefully the cuttings got a head start. It stopped raining here about 3 weeks ago. We are probably 4 - 6 weeks from fall rains. With any luck, the cuttings got some roots going and will make it. Only time will tell.

-John

Interesting read. Will cuttings survive in nw Sawyer Co. WI?
As cuttings mature is there much screening effect after leaf drop?

That's better than I thought. I will be interesting to see what makes it back next spring.

Interesting thread John. Looking forward to next "chapters". Is total burial of the cutting a no-no? Makes me wonder about some type of air driven planter to drive the cuttings upright into the soft soil.

Has anyone tried this?

Disk some ground, scatter longer (3-6 foot) willow cuttings perpendicular to the disking and redisk?

Interesting read. Will cuttings survive in nw Sawyer Co. WI?
As cuttings mature is there much screening effect after leaf drop?

They will do fine in Sawyer Co. No problem.

Because they aren't evergreens, the amount of screening they will give depends on how many rows (or how wide of an area you planted them in).

Not great after leaf fall, but not bad if you plant multiple rows.

I intend to let this strip go wild after the cuttings are established. There isn't a mulch layer, so mother nature will plant lots of stuff too.

Interesting thread John. Looking forward to next "chapters". Is total burial of the cutting a no-no? Makes me wonder about some type of air driven planter to drive the cuttings upright into the soft soil.

I think you can bury them completely (some of these were buried their entire length). So long as a bud can reach daylight before it runs out of stored energy. In fact, I believe they will make many more roots that way. Time will tell.

Has anyone tried this?

Disk some ground, scatter longer (3-6 foot) willow cuttings perpendicular to the disking and redisk?

Not that I'm aware of. But with the apparent success I've had with this test, I'll be doing more in the future!

Thanks,

-John

Now that's a revolutionary idea, you may have to patent this system John. :)

I love seemingly crazy ideas produce success, great job!

John, I'm sure it is specific to individual types, but at what length does a cutting become too short to have enough stored energy to not be able to survive?

I missed replying to this in the past. Sorry about that.

All cuttings can be cut down to "2 nodes" as a minimum. And they will grow. The smaller the cuttings, the more care they require. But you can take a pencil thin piece of a cutting 3" long (as long as it has 2 nodes) and it will grow!

-John