Broadcasting crimson clover?

I've got a little Crimson Clover in a brassica mix from GCC. I'm in zone 3.....and wonder if this stuff is suited to my climate? Hoping to learn from this. I may add a few lbs of medium red clover when I drill my rye in late August. I already have a pretty fair stand of white and red clover from last fall seeding.

I like the benefits of the Crimson Clover.....but I fear I am too far cnorth to reliably grow it. May need to find a new mix for my land next season.
You won't know for sure until you try it Foggy. I never planted Crimson here (Upper Peninsula of Michigan Zone 4a) for many years because of the same concerns you have. Finally tried it a few years ago and it overwinters well here, and even reseeds itself.

This is Crimson and Medium Red which was planted with a cover crop the previous fall. I have also included Crimson and Medium Red in my brassica mix which I plant here in July with good success.

IMG_5611.jpg

Kentucky Pride is the most cold tolerant variety of crimson clover.

Kentucky Pride is the most cold tolerant variety of crimson clover.
That is the variety in my mix. Hope it works. Drilled it in one week ago today.

I broadcasted 50 lbs over 10 acres this spring into disced soil. Haven't seen any of it emerge. Have had plenty of rain so do not understand why it has stalled.

I broadcasted 50 lbs over 10 acres this spring into disced soil. Haven't seen any of it emerge. Have had plenty of rain so do not understand why it has stalled.
If you broadcast into disced soil, it's likely most if not all the seed got buried too deep. Small seeds like clover should only be planted about 1/8" to 1/4" deep. After discing there are usually ridges and valleys much deeper than that and a lot of the seed likely got buried much deeper than 1/8" to 1/4" deep

If you broadcast into disced soil, it's likely most if not all the seed got buried too deep. Small seeds like clover should only be planted about 1/8" to 1/4" deep. After discing there are usually ridges and valleys much deeper than that and a lot of the seed likely got buried much deeper than 1/8" to 1/4" deep

I hear what you are saying; however, the soil was not loose as it was compacted with a cultipcaker before I broadcast the crimson seed, see below. I agree that some seed my have been buried too deep but that's why you increase seeding rates when broadcasting.

I always broadcast seed clovers red, white and have never had an issue with germination. I am going to continue to monitor to see if some starts to emerge.

1659628452860.jpeg

I think there are a lot of reasons why seed, especially hard coat clover seed won't geminate on our schedule. The seed can get too deep, but if it's viable seed and the soil conditions are right germination will occur, but much later than that seed in a perfectly prepared seed bed. So, it's soil conditions, depth, and the seed itself. Germination percentages are calculated under the most ideal circumstances leading to great expectations. Then there's the issue of hard seed or seed viable but where the seed coat has not been cracked yet (scarified). Stay faithful!

I hear what you are saying; however, the soil was not loose as it was compacted with a cultipcaker before I broadcast the crimson seed, see below. I agree that some seed my have been buried too deep but that's why you increase seeding rates when broadcasting.

I always broadcast seed clovers red, white and have never had an issue with germination. I am going to continue to monitor to see if some starts to emerge.

I didn't realize you had cultipacked it before seeding. The way you did it should have been great conditions for germination. I thought you meant that you disced and then broadcast the seed without cultipacking or anything to firm the soil.

Where did you get your Crimson clover seed? We get ours from Welter's and we always have good germination.

I didn't realize you had cultipacked it before seeding. The way you did it should have been great conditions for germination. I thought you meant that you disced and then broadcast the seed without cultipacking or anything to firm the soil.

Where did you get your Crimson clover seed? We get ours from Welter's and we always have good germination.

Thanks for the clarification, was worried I did something wrong. Got the seed from Welters. The Millet seed & turnip seed which is same size as crimson clover I broadcasted did germinate that is why I am confused why the crimson has not responded well.

Well guys, I appreciate the posts and comments but I'm no longer trying crimson. Went back to the COOP and traded 40lbs of Crimson for 20lbs of Ladino. It appears that it will fit my situation at the moment better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Great swap!

There are two suitable seasons for planting crimson clover: as a winter annual or a summer annual. For northern regions, the ideal planting time is between April and May, while in the south, it's best from August to October. However, avoid heavy, dry, or waterlogged areas and opt for well-drained loamy soil instead of rocky or clay ground.

Last edited:
First post from yang07 sounds suspect to me?

I am in Zone 4a and I have good success planting crimson in with my July brassica mix as well as my August cover crop mix. BTW I usually plant Dixie Crimson which I understand is a hard seed.

I bet I’ve thrown that in mixes at least 3 different years, and I can’t say I’ve ever seen a bloom to verify any of it took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another example of different strokes for different folks. I am on the line between zone 5 and 6. I have planted it by broadcasting through a Herd seeder a ton of times over the last 20 years. I never plant it as a stand alone. I always add it in a mix of clover varieties. I don’t plant it for deer per se, I plant it for turkeys in the spring. My turkeys are addicted to it.

I seed it pretty heavy considering it is in a mix. I would have to look back at my notes, but believe I put at least 15 pounds per acre and most likely 20 pounds per acre.

It always comes up great for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same for me NUT. Crimson is my most consistent clover. I always plant it heavy. It is normally coated seed, so 15-20lbs is sometimes needed, making it a pretty expensive clover.

Crimson is always in my fall plots. It blooms for me between mid April and early May. This picture was taken the first week of May this year. I’ve planted it every year between late August and mid September. Western NC mountains, zone 6b, elevation 3k.

1f9eb440e0e9395ef3a0d1ae77f0a875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that I've ever had good seed. I always had it given to me and it was sitting in someone else's shed. I'd assume that means it's at least two years old before I get it, and then it may sit another 2-3 years before I blend it into something to get rid of it.

I bought a 50 lb bag of crimson this summer and I've been mixing it with rye to overseed my soybeans and fall plots. Been putting on about 50lbs/acre rye and 6 lbs/acre crimson. We've been so dry that I don't have high hopes, but I'm mostly looking for healthy soil and weed suppression in spring.

I’ve never had success with crimson without 15-20lbs an acre. If coated 6lbs of seed only getting you 3-4lbs an acre. Most studies show needing 10-15lbs of actual seed per acre.

I’ve never had success with crimson without 15-20lbs an acre. If coated 6lbs of seed only getting you 3-4lbs an acre. Most studies show needing 10-15lbs of actual seed per acre.
I'm mixing it with rye so it isn't a stand alone planting and the seed is uncoated.
I don't know if it'll work or not, never have tried it. I believe if it fails it'll be due to a lack of moisture.
I will likely be going back through with another 50 lb of rye in a few more weeks.

I'm mixing it with rye so it isn't a stand alone planting and the seed is uncoated.
I don't know if it'll work or not, never have tried it. I believe if it fails it'll be due to a lack of moisture.
I will likely be going back through with another 50 lb of rye in a few more weeks.
Those are my mix rates! Ha