Bobcats

North Mo

5 year old buck +
Our oldest daughter and son in law spent a couple days with us over New Years and we went predator hunting. Set up 8 times and had success twice. The 1st one snuck up thru a ravine in thick cover for a 10 yard shot. The 2nd cat came out of an old strip pit to the edge of a pasture 150 yards from us and sat down to look at the call and decoy. The old strip pits in this area seem to be great bobcat habitat. I called in and killed 2 others last winter.C96D1883-1DFD-4E56-934B-B236A788AEC0.jpeg1BF4823D-AABE-4FA4-8F03-028891BE8427.jpeg

What sound are you using for the call?

What sound are you using for the call?
I start out softly with young cottontail and every few minutes gradually increase volume and switch to more mature raspy cottontail sounds for 20-25 minutes then go silent for a few minutes. I then switch to woodpecker and other bird distress sounds for 15 minutes.

Pretty cats and like the the gun. I bet it's loud with that brake on it!

Nice.

I've gotten more cat pics this year then any other.

Nice.

The same in our neck of the woods too. Watching hunting shows, it seems like everyone in the midwest is too.

Pretty cats and like the the gun. I bet it's loud with that brake on it!
What? Can you repeat that. Years ago in my early 20’s and thru my 30’s I shot a lot of competition much of it IPSC and 3 gun where muzzle brakes and compensators are a big asset for fast accurate shooting, of course everyone at the range is wearing hearing protection. They are louder especially for close bystanders but for me the dampening of muzzle rise outweighs the blast. In the last 2 years I have killed 2 coyotes and a bobcat with this rifle that where running full speed. I believe the brake helped. I did start wearing electronic ear muffs last year when it was not to windy. Not only dampens the noise but I pick up game sounds much better.

Nice.

If you ever take one but do not want to have it mounted then Last Step Trap and Supply in Bonaparte, Iowa about one hour from us will skin it and tan the hide for $50.

1993141F-FD66-4207-B8FB-8C94FC67560C.jpeg
Got another one. This one took 40 minutes to come in right at dark. He turned to my left right at the trigger pull and the hit was mid body. Knocked him down but he immediately spun under a cedar out of sight and growled so loud for 20 seconds that my wife said it sounded like a mountain lion. Walked up and saw blood but no cat. Came back next morning with our tracker Cami. She sniffed the blood but for the 1st time would not follow and stayed close to us. I followed the tracks and blood in the snow thru thick cedars and briars for 160 yards. The tracks were headed straight ahead but I saw a patch of fur moving 15 yards away at the 9:30 position. He was very much still alive until I fired. He had made a J hook when he laid down.

That looks like a big cat.
I'm surprised the little dog was skittish. She has no problem growling at grown men 😉

We were pretty surprised at that. She has never backed down from anything before. 1st time she ever smelled a bobcat and would not get closer than 10 feet even after it was dead. I had to pick her up and hold her to get the picture. Guess that is for the best, I wouldn’t want her tangling with a bobcat.