Bluehill 2025

Are there specific days you can or can’t pick up? I did the shipping option but if the trees are that much bigger I may want to drive and get them.

He did mention he got the shipping prices down substantially this year.

How big/long are the boxes from WTC?

I picked up trees from Ryan in person last year. They barely fit in the truck with the cap on/closed. I'm excited/worried about how big the select trees might be this year.
I'm pretty sure it's atleast 7ft
20230405_181912_01.jpg
This photo was from 2023. I ordered a bunch of small trees from him in 2024 so the box was a little shorter.

Trimmed or not, my trees from him are doing great.
Same here! All of my bluehill trees were planted this spring. Haven't seen them in 5 weeks so I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like this weekend.

Are there specific days you can or can’t pick up? I did the shipping option but if the trees are that much bigger I may want to drive and get them.
Pretty sure you can pick up any weekday

From website: Policy & Shipping
Fourth paragraph reads below, copied from website.

Selected pickup dates: Trees can be picked up in the spring as soon as you can dig in your soil. Trees need to be picked by the end of April. Before picking up, please contact us letting us know when you are planning to come so we can have your order ready for you when you arrive.

I am happy that his shipping charges came down! Atleast for me it did. Went down exactly $40.
You could ask him. I asked terry fton whitetail for a double leader crosshow. I got one, wanted scion material. I ask chris from turkey creek for a few eunt of the little trees to fit in grow pots, got them too.

You ask him now before they remove and prune this winter. Youll probably get ehat you want.

Drove up my property to take a quick look around and found a few more spots to plant along my food plots. So I emailed Ryan to add a few more pear trees. Over 90% of my trees are apple/crabs. Figured I should diversity more and add more pears. Will see how they do in Northern lower Michigan!

I grabbed 2 pear and 2 persimmon. I'm done now for a long while. 50+ fruit trees on my place and want to start focusing on nuts now. I'm doing pick up, have picked up probably 5 timed and enjoy the conversation.

Drove up my property to take a quick look around and found a few more spots to plant along my food plots. So I emailed Ryan to add a few more pear trees. Over 90% of my trees are apple/crabs. Figured I should diversity more and add more pears. Will see how they do in Northern lower Michigan!
I added pears and persimmons to my apple plots this spring.

I grabbed 2 pear and 2 persimmon. I'm done now for a long while. 50+ fruit trees on my place and want to start focusing on nuts now. I'm doing pick up, have picked up probably 5 timed and enjoy the conversation.
I’m at 60+ and still adding…now just need my 2 year old to grow up to help prune and graft hahaIMG_2563.jpeg

What's everyone's best growing apple/crab from bluehill?

Mine have only been in the ground since April but peak attraction has been the best for me. Followed very closely by roadkill crab. Im in crappy sandy soil.

Mine have only been in the ground since April but peak attraction has been the best for me. Followed very closely by roadkill crab. Im in crappy sandy soil.
I'm basically in the same zone ( and state) as BH.
2 years ago, planted:
Chestnut
October
Candy
Kerr
Yates
Arkansas Black
Gold Rush
Buckman
Turning point .

The best looking trees for me have been:
October, Candy ( 2nd best), Yates ( best), and Turning point. Honorable mention to Arkansas Black, Chestnut and Buckman.
Worst has been Kerr and Gold Rush.

I planted Liberty and Enterprise this year, but it's too early to tell, though they look fine.

BTW: I'm in clay soil.

I forgot about my candy crab. That's probably top 3-4 for me. Kerr and Turningpoint have been my slowest growers. Kerr needs some more trees cut down around it that I will get to this coming winter.

Primetime have been the best in both growth and shape. First year with a good crop on them, anxious to see if the drop time is as advertised. Gram’s Gift and Kerr have done pretty well also. My Big Dog has been my slowest grower.

My oldest trees from BH are on their 3rd leaf (planted in 2022). The best grower so far is October but that tree is at my home property in Zone 6 while the rest of the trees are at deer camp in Zone 4B/5A. To be honest, of those at deer camp, nothing really stands out above the rest. Soil is mostly heavy clay. Most are in the 5-7 ft range. And that's across 16 different varieties (apples, applecrabs, crabapples, and pears) from BH. Pears are definitely slower growing than the apples. I've found that the estimated 3-5 years to bear fruit that most growers state is more like 5-7 on my soil.

I'm basically in the same zone ( and state) as BH.
2 years ago, planted:
Chestnut
October
Candy
Kerr
Yates
Arkansas Black
Gold Rush
Buckman
Turning point .

The best looking trees for me have been:
October, Candy ( 2nd best), Yates ( best), and Turning point. Honorable mention to Arkansas Black, Chestnut and Buckman.
Worst has been Kerr and Gold Rush.

I planted Liberty and Enterprise this year, but it's too early to tell, though they look fine.

BTW: I'm in clay soil.
Here's a Candy crab I grafted last year onto dolgo rootstock. 8' of growth in a season and a half.

Attachments

• 20240802_144604.jpg
    20240802_144604.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 12