Apple planning phase.... - Transfered from QDMA forum

One of my very experienced, apple grower/deer manager just made an interesting comment. We are in an extreme drought and he wishes he had collected seed from native crabs and apples, then grown them out on their own root.

In short, the natives have done the best in this drought.

My seedlings from wild crabs and even most seedlings on own root have done ok during the drought with just a few exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my very experienced, apple grower/deer manager just made an interesting comment. We are in an extreme drought and he wishes he had collected seed from native crabs and apples, then grown them out on their own root.

My seedlings from wild crabs and even most seedlings on own root have done ok during the drought with just a few exceptions.

I think that is true of plants in general. Plants that are native locally are growing there for a reason. They are well adapted to the total environmental package. If they were not, other plants would have out competed them. So, your experience makes perfect sense!

It’s amazing how a few Miles make all the difference. It’s been the wettest summer that I can remember in Alabama