Apple planning phase.... - Transfered from QDMA forum

Native Hunter;846404 said:
That's great Jack. It looks like they stayed nice and green. I was worried about the heat in transit. I'm anxious to see how this works out for you!
They stayed in great shape. I wish I had more trees to T-Bud. I have some kind of decretive crab in my front yard. I may see if I can T-Bud it when I get home.
Thanks,
Jack

Back to the original domestic apple grafted to crabapple. I took a pick today and it is really growing strong:
c8bd24ac-9bfa-4c17-8870-6e73ceacee1c.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this one!
Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Native Hunter;847435 said:
Jack, that one looks great. I have a Freedom about that size in my yard, and your leaves look a lot glossier and cleaner than my tree.
PS: I promised you some pictures of a decorative crab apple compared to a dolgo. I got those for you. The third pic is another crab that I don't know the variety of. It is even bigger than the dolgo at this point in time. I really like the looks of it.
These were taken in the last couple of days.

Right now, the apples on the Dolgo look most like the first picture (decorative crab). Thanks for the pics!

Native Hunter;847435 said:
Jack, that one looks great. I have a Freedom about that size in my yard, and your leaves look a lot glossier and cleaner than my tree.
I should have mentioned. The picture I posted with the tiny crabapples on the last page was taken last week. When I was checking my trees, I noticed the Japanese beetles were starting to hit both my chestnut and crabapple trees. I mixed up some permethrin and was spraying the trees as I went along. It is amazing how well and how long that stuff works.
At any rate that tree had just been sprayed which accounts for the clean glossy leaves. They were actually just wet.
Thanks,
Jack

I happened to be at the farm today and checked out the grafted tree. Notice how much taller than the bamboo stake compared to the last picture:
74b16727-d4ca-4c4d-ab8e-a7c6a4f4e359.jpg

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
dogdoc;849935 said:
That thing is taking off.
Great job.
Tickrancher;852163 said:
I'm going to miss all the great information found on this thread. Where are the tree growers going to share their thoughts?
I feel betrayed by QDMA leadership.
John
Lot2Learn;852168 said:
Seems that a number of the guys are heading over to: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php
Hope to see you there.
Turkey Creek;852202 said:
Most of the apple guys have called HabitatTalk home for awhile now.
Chris

Welcome aboard Jack!

I happed to drive passed this tree at the farm today and took a pic:

67a1f9b9-0746-48cb-a2b9-32355b01f693.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
It's amazing what young trees can accomplish once you get their energy directed toward the central leader!

My latest picture of it:

75d51ace-41f6-4665-98a1-14573609c028.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
I'm now starting on next years crop. I've been working with an orchard/ciderworks that sells apples but not their crabapples. They were kind enough to sell me a few crabs for seed. I extracted the seed and placed the in the fridge with damp long-fiber sphagnum for a month. Here is what I'm starting with:

Wickson Crab (diploid)
Suncrisp (diploid)
Winesap (triploid)
Arkansas Black (triploid)

My initial thought was to work with crabapple seeds since some crabapples seem truer to seed (like Dolgo) than most domestic apples. When I talked to the lady at the orchard, she suggested that since I was experimenting from seed I should try to triploid as well. Most of the research papers I've read suggest I'm probably wasting my time with triplod apple seeds. They say most are deformed because of the uneven combination of chromosomes. Of course triploid apples are a genetic abnormality that seems to advantage the trees, but while genes are passed on, the combinations are generally negative. So, I'm expecting that most of the triploid seeds that germinate and produce seedlings will likely be culled.

I plan to use the diploid for field planting. Some I may grow out and see what I get, others I may top-work with known varieties. Today I planed all the seeds that have been chilling for a month. I still have some Jonathan (diploid) seeds that I just put in the fridge. I'll probably plant those in a month.

I planted them all in mesh flats in promix. Any that germinate and begin to grow will be transplanted into 18s.

Thanks,

Jack

That sounds like fun, but you might also consider mixing in some m.111 and b.118 rootstocks too. It would an inexpensive diversification/hedge if you have the room to do it.

That sounds like fun, but you might also consider mixing in some m.111 and b.118 rootstocks too. It would an inexpensive diversification/hedge if you have the room to do it.

Yes. I guess I have not captured everything I've done in this thread. It talks about the trees I grew from seed and my experience grafting them. Before I grafted them, I took a grafting class last spring. As part of that class I got some Arkansas Black, Black Twig, and Virginia (Hewes) Crab. I grafted them to M111 root stock last spring. M111 is best adapted for our soil of the clonal root stock. I grew them out in 3 gal rootbuilder II containers on my deck this summer. Earlier this month, I planted them in the field.

I enjoyed the grafting class so much, I'm planning to take it again this coming spring. I also ordered a number of scions from trees I want to try. I'll probably graft those to M111 next spring and grow them out again on my deck next summer.

Thanks,

Jack

It looks like the diploid crab, Wickson, seeds are starting to sprout.

1d027020-15e9-454f-b4f3-3fd3059eca29.jpg

There are 7 green spots I can see starting in the flat so far. The triploids handled the same and planted at the same time show nothing yet.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Well, I checked them tonight and ended up transplanting 20 apple tree seedlings from the flats into 18s. The Wickson Crab which are diploids had at least 18 ready for transplant. There are a few tiny green spots but I figured I'd stop at an even tray tonight. At the same time I planted the Wickson Crab seeds in flats, I also planted a flat of a mix of triploid apple seeds. There was roughly the same number of seeds in each flat. There were only 2 that germinated. Both happened to be Winesap. So far, they appear to be normal.

One thing that surprised me is how quickly these need to be transplanted from flats to 18s. Some were barely visible but had tap roots almost to the bottom of the flat.

Here is a picture of the tray of Wickson:

d6b80fc1-73cd-41d0-907d-0fb52fbf5e90.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
What a difference a day makes. I checked the flats this morning. I ended up transplanting another full try (18) of the diploid Wickson. There was only one more of the triploid to transplant and it happened to be a Suncrisp. This try looks just like the last, so there is no reason to post another picture.

I'm going to post the details of the How To but I think I'll start a new thread for that.

Thanks,

Jack

I posted this on the other thread, but for completeness here....

The count of seedlings as of tonight:
Diploid (all Wickson Crab): 54
Triploid Total: 8
Winesap: 3
Suncrisp: 3
Arkansas Black: 2
Thanks,
Jack

I think the Wickson are about done but the triploids are still having a few germinate.

The count of seedlings as of tonight:

Diploid (all Wickson Crab): 54
Triploid Total: 11
Winesap: 4
Suncrisp: 5
Arkansas Black: 2

Latest pic of some Wickson:

238cfee9-8e1b-4d25-9c7a-092edc400c65.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
I came home from the farm tonight and got quite a shock. I had 1 more Wickson (which has to be very close to 100% germination) ready to transplant. I had a few Suncrisp ready, but for some reason, a more recently planted tray of winesap just exploded. After tonight's transplanting, I have about 3 trays of Wickson (diploid) and 3 trays of triploids. I did plant over twice as many triploid in the flats, but I didn't expect the triploid germination to be even close to 50%. At the rate things are going, I'll have many more seedlings than I can handle even with culling. I'll try to do exact counts of each type when I get a chance and report back.