Blue Hill Nursery Stock

I feel like Liberty grows a bit more on me every year. Zero disease issues and it is tasty over a long maturity window. We have been eating from our tree for going on 2 weeks now and its actually probably just getting fully ripe. I have seen from a reliable source that they keep/ store very well.
This is the first year I have had more than a couple. I was surprised how good they are while being DR and pushed as wildlife trees. A very good eating apple!

My Liberty’s are also ready to pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is it fair to say liberty has been sufficiently hardy at your location?

I planted a bunch of Liberty at my camp and they all died. To be fair that was the year of the polar vortex and I know there was at least one -47 and a whole bunch of -30’s. I tried top working some this year but none of them took. I will try again next year.

Yes, it has been for me. I am a bit surprised. We have only had -46 once in the last 30 plus years. We did have a brief -42 about 4 years ago.

who else has orchard trees rather than wildlife trees? would like a couple to put in at home for fresh eating and applesauce.
I've bought trees from Cummins, Adams County Nursery, and St. Lawrence Nursery for "regular" eating apples. No complaints about any of those - in fact - very good trees from all of them. FWIW.

I had ordered 6 trees from Blue Hill on opening morning, then decided to grab 6 more yesterday. I paid full shipping both times. Ryan refunded my entire shipping amount from the second order. He did not have to, he just did it. That's a stand up guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had ordered 6 trees from Blue Hill on opening morning, then decided to grab 6 more yesterday. I paid full shipping both times. Ryan refunded my entire shipping amount from the second order. He did not have to, he just did it. That's a stand up guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
He did the same thing for me last year, and unsolicited as well. Makes it very easy to give him continued business.

Ryan seems to go about things the right way. Good guy. It'll serve him well going forward.

It is nice to find small businessmen who know their products and treat you well.

Many larger businesses need help so badly that their sales people don’t understand their products.

Many larger businesses need help so badly that their sales people don’t understand their products.
Been that way for a few decades here. Big stores hire anyone who'll work for 1980's pay levels, and stores don't care if they know the stores' products or not. Service jobs in stores go nowhere - and they've become revolving door jobs at best. Local big-box stores' employees generally don't know product lines, and don't care because they're already looking for better-future jobs. Bad for customers .......... and those businesses. It is what it is.

How was blue hill trees?What size were they

You pick what size you want.

I can't see paying more for shipping than trees,my estimate was 86.00 and I think I was looking at 5 trees.

This forum cost me some money, after missing the opening date decided to try the wildlife crabs. I only have pears so far but figured the crabs may be easy enough to maintain

I can't see paying more for shipping than trees,my estimate was 86.00 and I think I was looking at 5 trees.
While I agree with this, I’ve spent 86 bucks lots stupider than shipping apple trees.

If you want the trees you’re gunna pay the shipping.

I wanted the trees.

I know and I probably will,I ordered some from Turkey Creek but found some there I wanted.I would like to plant around 15 more this spring

Cost is relative. The trees I have received from Whitetail crabs & Blue Hill have been 4'-6' tall, big root systems, and 1/2"-3/4" caliper. These are not 2'-3' whips. Their larger size means more weight and a better developed tree to stick in the ground.

Heck a dinner out for 2 will cost you a $100 these days.

I planted a bunch of Liberty at my camp and they all died. To be fair that was the year of the polar vortex and I know there was at least one -47 and a whole bunch of -30’s. I tried top working some this year but none of them took. I will try again next year.
You are a victim of global warming/climate change !!

Last edited:
Bought some from these guys last year and was very pleased with everything about them. Their apple tree list will come online next week.
Someone on here posted it up last fall, they use M111 on a lot of their trees and have a nice selection reasonable shipping and were great to talk with.

Cost is relative. The trees I have received from Whitetail crabs & Blue Hill have been 4'-6' tall, big root systems, and 1/2"-3/4" caliper. These are not 2'-3' whips. Their larger size means more weight and a better developed tree to stick in the ground.

Heck a dinner out for 2 will cost you a $100 these days.
I get 2-3’ whips from Blue hill but that’s because I choose that size. I like the $20 price tag on those.

Have always got great trees from Terry (whitetail crabs). He doesn’t charge enough for his trees but the shipping gets you if you’re not ordering a bunch. Order 10 or so and it’s not so bad. Little steep on 5 or fewer.