Blue Hill Nursery Stock

For some reason Whitetail crabs doesn't seem to get as much love on this page....but all trees I've received from them have been top notch , and for the money can't beat'em.

I think their original position of not disclosing rootstock turned a lot of people off. I planted 3 from them in 2017 and they're among my best performing trees, but I'd be willing to bet they're not on B118 like they claim their current stock is.

Anyone had significant experience in zone 4a/3b with the whitetail crabs varieties?

100% agreed. I have bought ~3 dozen in the last 2 years and lost only 1 because I planted it too close to a black walnut. All of the others are thriving and shooting up anywhere from 18"-2+' in 1 year.
I'll admit Whitetail crabs doesn't have the vast variety of trees other growers have ....BUT you can't go wrong with their "Top 3 Crabs" 30-06 , Droptine, Crossbow if they are suitable for your zone. They have several varieties of apples , and just introduced their first pear called "Rut Rage" that's already sold out , with more varieties of pears coming possibly next year. If anyone wasn't able to order the trees they wanted elsewhere, do yourself a favor and check out Whitetail Crabs EASY secure online ordering and checkout...If you have questions the owner typically replies to e mails in 3-4 days sometimes sooner. https://www.whitetailcrabs.com/2022-trees

I think their original position of not disclosing rootstock turned a lot of people off. I planted 3 from them in 2017 and they're among my best performing trees, but I'd be willing to bet they're not on B118 like they claim their current stock is.
If they were planted in 2017 I'd assume they are mature and getting decent size crops....Have you noticed when the fruit drops ? and are they a draw for the deer ? My first batch was only planted in 2020

Pics from this morning. From left to right, Droptine, 10 Point, 30-06. 10 point has been dropping a few weeks, and I get many pics of deer under it. I'm not sure exactly when Droptine and 30-06 start but this buck under the Droptine makes we wonder if it's started. 30-06 usually is finished around new years and Droptine has some persisting until leaf out. 30-06 seems somewhat biennial alternating heavy and light crops. It's light this year.
f4cef5d4-1edf-40cd-b42e-6b9d23b653a1.jpg9eca073a-28d4-44a6-95e2-5a925826772d.jpged22ae1d-ebde-4fdc-979e-178bddc3a2ac.jpgcf11de7f-9c6c-437f-bbea-3787a048b7ef.jpg7bfa4577-6c70-446f-8e52-fbf93a499d18.jpg200ce731-6723-43f8-ab2b-a99851afa1f6.jpg

Anyone had significant experience in zone 4a/3b with the whitetail crabs varieties?

Pics from this morning. From left to right, Droptine, 10 Point, 30-06. 10 point has been dropping a few weeks, and I get many pics of deer under it. I'm not sure exactly when Droptine and 30-06 start but this buck under the Droptine makes we wonder if it's started. 30-06 usually is finished around new years and Droptine has some persisting until leaf out. 30-06 seems somewhat biennial alternating heavy and light crops. It's light this year.
View attachment 46302View attachment 46303View attachment 46304View attachment 46305View attachment 46306View attachment 46307
Wow Gunfun those are great pictures !

I've got a bunch of trees from both places, Blue Hill and Whitetail Crabs. They are all 2020 and younger so not much fruit yet. The 2020 droptine, wickson, and 30-06 spit out a few fruit this year. Can't wait til they all get to 5+. The shipping is the only drawback with Whitetail Crabs now, imo. If you're going to order, order a bunch. Shipping really kills it on less than 5.

Weren’t they called Northern Whitetail Crabs at first?

I am always cautious about trees ( rootstocks and the fruit producing top of the tree) in northern zones. We need to know the rootstock and the trend in the north.

Their name of ‘Northern’ did not impress me when I looked at their location.

That said, the trees have done very well further south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a bunch of trees from both places, Blue Hill and Whitetail Crabs. They are all 2020 and younger so not much fruit yet. The 2020 droptine, wickson, and 30-06 spit out a few fruit this year. Can't wait til they all get to 5+. The shipping is the only drawback with Whitetail Crabs now, imo. If you're going to order, order a bunch. Shipping really kills it on less than

I've got a bunch of trees from both places, Blue Hill and Whitetail Crabs. They are all 2020 and younger so not much fruit yet. The 2020 droptine, wickson, and 30-06 spit out a few fruit this year. Can't wait til they all get to 5+. The shipping is the only drawback with Whitetail Crabs now, imo. If you're going to order, order a bunch. Shipping really kills it on less than 5.
Yeah no matter who you buy from , you need to get at least 5-6 trees to justify the shipping when it's $40 - $50 . I think Blue Hills shipping for 5 trees in 2021 was something like $42 or $43 BUT could have been $34 I'm not really sure. ....My 2023 Whitetail crabs orders shipping is $54.38 and in the past the Whitetail Crabs box has been MUCH larger than blue Hills so it is what it is. If the trees become a deer magnet like in gunfun13's pics I don't think too many will worry about the shipping cost,, when it's only $10 or $20 or so more than Blue Hill, because in the end it all evens out....Whitetail Crabs Full size trees are all $23.95 and some of Blue Hills are $34.95

Last edited:
Yeah no matter who you buy from , you need to get at least 5-6 trees to justify the shipping when it's $40 - $50 . I think Blue Hills shipping for 5 trees in 2021 was something like $42 or $43 BUT could have been $34 I'm not really sure. ....My 2023 Whitetail crabs orders shipping is $54.38 and in the past the Whitetail Crabs box has been MUCH larger than blue Hills so it is what it is. If the trees become a deer magnet like in gunfun13's pics I don't think too many will worry about the shipping cost,, when it's only $10 or $20 or so more than Blue Hill, because in the end it all evens out....Whitetail Crabs Full size trees are all $23.95 and some of Blue Hills are $34.95
I was going to order 5 or so from Whitetail but shipping was $70 so I said heck with that. I've got two coming from Cummins and 6 from Blue Hill. Both of those shipping was in the $35-$45 range. That's easier to stomach. I think I've got about 18 of Terry's trees and will have about 14 from Ryan. And about a dozen from SLN. Hopefully in 5 years they are spitting out fruit pretty good.

Yeah no matter who you buy from , you need to get at least 5-6 trees to justify the shipping when it's $40 - $50 . I think Blue Hills shipping for 5 trees in 2021 was something like $42 or $43 for me....My 2023 Whitetail crabs orders shipping is $54.38 and in the past the Whitetail Crabs box has been MUCH larger than blue Hills so it is what it is. If the trees become a deer magnet like in gunfun13's pics I don't think too many will worry about the shipping cost,, when it's only $10 or so more than Blue Hill
my issue in the past (why I ordered more from Whitetail Crabs than Blue Hill) was availability...I started planning my mini orchard a few Decembers ago so I was able to eke out a few trees from Whitetail Crabs the first year and get a few from Blue Hill as well...Both impressed me with their service and their trees so I got more from both the second year...plus both are local to me so I can pick up my orders and Terry at Whitetail Crabs always gets me to buy a few "leftovers" .....I am just hoping my little 1 acre food plot surrounded by 17 trees now (soon to be 26 as of next spring) will be a fraction as attractive as gun fun's above!

I was going to order 5 or so from Whitetail but shipping was $70 so I said heck with that. I've got two coming from Cummins and 6 from Blue Hill. Both of those shipping was in the $35-$45 range. That's easier to stomach. I think I've got about 18 of Terry's trees and will have about 14 from Ryan. And about a dozen from SLN. Hopefully in 5 years they are spitting out fruit pretty good.
70 bucks for my zip code also. But trees are a bit cheaper. But not really cheaper cause I bought a couple extra to make me feel good about shipping!

Gonna try a few more Harrison for cider and some Redfield too. My Harrison grafts this spring were swing and a miss taken from my one tree. That one is growing at slow pace so maybe different nursery/roots/whatever could be better. Think not ideal soil and pushing planting zone but with a sample size of one gotta try a few more. Caved in and got some 30-06 too but really have enough crabs already.....ok maybe not

70 bucks for my zip code also. But trees are a bit cheaper. But not really cheaper cause I bought a couple extra to make me feel good about shipping!

Gonna try a few more Harrison for cider and some Redfield too. My Harrison grafts this spring were swing and a miss taken from my one tree. That one is growing at slow pace so maybe different nursery/roots/whatever could be better. Think not ideal soil and pushing planting zone but with a sample size of one gotta try a few more. Caved in and got some 30-06 too but really have enough crabs already.....ok maybe not
do we ever really have "enough" crabs or apples or pears?

It's your business run it the way you want...BUT you're losing out on sales. As a customer I don't want a "interaction" when it comes to ordering. I just want to click on what I want , and check out at any time I want , round the clock...not just Monday through Friday 9-5 or whatever your hours are. Now if I had questions or needed your advice on a tree for my area I'd call or e mail before ordering . Just don't see the point of paying for a website , when a customer can't even order from it.
Not going to disagree at all, I am sure there are alot of folks who like the hit the button and make a purchase approach. For them we are not their style. We sell out every year and dont have any real desire to increase the number of trees we produce currently so no need for us to change the purchasing method currently. We have repeat customers who buy from us every year, and have for multiple years. Keep in mind we sell to a lot of backyard growers as well, not just habitat guys, our customers are often looking for input before making a purchase and we are happy to help them out. IMO the websites who want you to order on-line typically are lacking in the customer service department and its feasible in my mind that some people therefore have experienced the same and thus steer clear from on-line ordering websites. We also have a lot of customers who actually write checks yet! LOL Yes we accept them.

who else has orchard trees rather than wildlife trees? would like a couple to put in at home for fresh eating and applesauce.

who else has orchard trees rather than wildlife trees? would like a couple to put in at home for fresh eating and applesauce.

Wishin i wouldn't have put in extra "wildlife trees" with standard rootstock at the house last year. I will likely end up moving them to actually be wildlife trees and replacing with some dwarf rootstock options of Triumph, red baron, and maybe others.

Burnt Ridge Nursery, One Green World, Stark Bros., Feco Trees, Adams County Nursery, Cummins Nursery, and plenty of others that don't come immediately to mind.