Blown away at size of Turnips and Radishes.

gunther89

5 year old buck +
I did a little mow and throw experiment in late July in our pasture. I mowed a small area that hasn't been worked in over 50 years and sprayed glysophate on it. Waited 2 weeks and spread some turnips and radish seed and prayed for some rain. I didn't fertilize this seed either. Now nearly 2 months later, I have turnips the size of softballs and bigger and radishes that are over a foot long. I am simply amazed at how well they did. I've planted brassicas before and the deer have never really liked them so even if the deer don't touch them, I figure I'm helping the soil out with all the organic material left behind and will help out next years food plots.

^ Pretty cool turnips and radish pics Gunther. On other years I'd have some that size too.....not this year due to late planting.

it would be cool to have a contest here for the largest turnips and radish. Measured as shown above. More Pics??

NH I forgot to take a picture of the plot before I did anything with it.

The scary part is these weren't even the biggest I found in this plot. I left them to continue to grow in this 70 degree weather. I must also confess that out of those 50 years, 45 years had cattle in it. I feel all the cow manure probably made for some excellent natural fertilizer :)

Bigen's for sure.

I just took Hwys 33 and 23 through the western part of Sauk Co on Tuesday for a business visit to a potential partner I have been sending bids too. Beautiful drive on a sunny morning and every dang corn field had 12' corn. The scrubby-looking stuff was 9'+. Business end of the trip went great and the leisurely drive back up Hwy 14 to LaCrosse was nice as well. I wasn't by myself or driving or I would have posted some pics in the "Thing's I see..." thread.

I just took Hwys 33 and 23 through the western part of Sauk Co on Tuesday for a business visit to a potential partner I have been sending bids too. Beautiful drive on a sunny morning and every dang corn field had 12' corn. The scrubby-looking stuff was 9'+. Business end of the trip went great and the leisurely drive back up Hwy 14 to LaCrosse was nice as well. I wasn't by myself or driving or I would have posted some pics in the "Thing's I see..." thread.

Some days are simply "golden".....and you gotta just be there on those days. :)

Funny you mention Sauk county cause that's the county our land is in. If you know where Reedsburg is, we are just south of there. I agree the corn is looking great this year. We had some timely rains to help them along.

Funny you mention Sauk county cause that's the county our land is in. If you know where Reedsburg is, we are just south of there. I agree the corn is looking great this year. We had some timely rains to help them along.
;)I knew that, which is mainly why I mentioned running through there.:) I have some distant cousins and other shirttail relations in the Hillpoint, Loganville, and Lime Ridge areas. Haven't been down to see any of them in 30+ years, wouldn't recognize them if I saw them today for sure.

Our land is in between those towns lol small world

Being that is the case, you have deer hunting land in a very good location, IMO.

Plain is where I went to visit with our business partner.