Blank Slate, opinions wanted.

A buddy of mine looked at this farm spring 2014. He really liked it overall but ended up buying a different farm. The farm to the east was owned by an outfitter at that time but was for sale. Hopefully it sold as he had quite a bit of ground around there leased up.

Good looking bedding points and ridges in the timber. How mature is it? What I found on my MO farm is that once the leaves fall my mature timber just didn’t bed many deer even though the points and ridges set up real nice for bedding and we did not pressure the ridges. We got our timber cut last winter and did a bunch of hinging on the ridges and points. Too early to see how much bedding its getting but the direction a very nice 8 is traveling in the morning makes me think he has set up camp on our ridge.

Cedars bed a lot of deer down there IF they are not too thick. Too thick and blocking sunlight is no beuno and I’d take the chainsaw out in the spring and thin them out allowing sunlight to do its thing. I have also had success cutting the lower limbs off the cedars on ridges on the downwind side of the tree. Gives them a place to lay with a canopy and nice block on their upwind side. Works if it’s a pretty flat spot to lay.

The cedar patch on the south side looks pretty good on the aerial, not crazy thick. I’d figure out how to get to a stand for a north wind on the downwind side of that cedar patch but not hunt it until the rut really gets going. AM entrance and hunt all day. Knob on the SE side looks good for bedding too if it’s not too mature. I’d be figuring out some stands locations around it too for prime time rut hunting.

I would not plant it all to beans myself. I’m mainly a bow guy so having 1 huge food plot causes nothing but frustration for me. Great for gun and muzzy but hard to know where they are going to come out for a bow shot and accessing for hunting gets trickier. Normally you can put up to 10% of a crp field into a food plot but I doubt they check if you have 11%. I’d go with a few smaller plots in strategic places. Is the CRP warm season grass? I’ve had good luck cutting trails through our WSG to direct travel. I also mow the CRP right along the edge of the timber to encourage them to make scrapes. Short grass makes it much easier for them to get down to the dirt. They mark the H out of the edge of my CRP fields now that I mow…..not much at all before.

I’m east of you but here are my prime dates for hunting. A late October Halloweenish cold front is great like most areas. Mature bucks move during daylight on my farms at this time but only for a few days. After the late October burst of mature buck movement mature buck movement slows for me. I’m not certain if they lock up with the first few does or figure out it’s too early and tuck it back into their pants for a short time but I just don’t see them in very early November during daylight and neither do my cams. For sure a bunch are shot in early November and you will see a bunch of bucks but it’s is just a bit slow on my farms for mature bucks. For me things get good again around Nov 5th or 6th with the peak for movement a day or 2 on either side of November 9th or 10th. Really good movement all day around the 9th/10th.

Great looking farm. Good luck.

North MO farm tour road trip next spring anyone? I know I could benefit having some experts from this group tour my farms.

Won't be paying $20,000 to end the crp contract. CRP will stay. Previous owner did not sign up for food plots. I do have to burn, disc or gly the whole thing in the next 9 months. Nothing will be done this year. No time. We are putting together a long term plan (5 years plus) and map and like all opinions. Based on one weekend, there will be some trees either cut or bulldozed for a plot or two in the woods. We will do some small plots on some of the field edges and beg for forgiveness if caught.

I met the neighbor to the west and they don't bow hunt. Already have permission to put on the property line if needed. He also said only one guy gun hunts there and he just moved 25 miles away. No idea to the south. There is a 4 wheeler trail on part of the east border. Doesn't look heavily traveled at all.

This is my opinion, so take it for what you want. You just spent almost $400K, take another 5-10K and take part of the CRP out for a food plot. It would be the best $5-10 grand you ever spent.

Your going to spend thousands on a dozer to make food plots when you should leave any brush or trees for cover. Take that Dozer Money and put it towards CRP Buy Back.

Also before you hinge or tear down trees. Talk to a logger on trees of value. Jason Severe, The forester in the area is green at his job, you can not get a deer plan out of him on the trees you have. Right now good walnut logs are worth some money, 20" inside bark can be with no limbs below 18'. Forget about any $5,000 veneer trees, May only be one in every million acres left in the area. Big Hickory trees are worth up to $800 per cord right now for prime logs. And Soft or Hard Maple are very good money as well. Cottonwood trees are also worth money for pallet wood. Check that avenue out for a revenue stream this winter. I have a good logger that is insured and bonded if you want his name. He is out of southern IA. Most loggers in Missouri do not have insurance, be aware!

A buddy of mine looked at this farm spring 2014. He really liked it overall but ended up buying a different farm. The farm to the east was owned by an outfitter at that time but was for sale. Hopefully it sold as he had quite a bit of ground around there leased up.

Good looking bedding points and ridges in the timber. How mature is it? What I found on my MO farm is that once the leaves fall my mature timber just didn’t bed many deer even though the points and ridges set up real nice for bedding and we did not pressure the ridges. We got our timber cut last winter and did a bunch of hinging on the ridges and points. Too early to see how much bedding its getting but the direction a very nice 8 is traveling in the morning makes me think he has set up camp on our ridge.

Cedars bed a lot of deer down there IF they are not too thick. Too thick and blocking sunlight is no beuno and I’d take the chainsaw out in the spring and thin them out allowing sunlight to do its thing. I have also had success cutting the lower limbs off the cedars on ridges on the downwind side of the tree. Gives them a place to lay with a canopy and nice block on their upwind side. Works if it’s a pretty flat spot to lay.

The cedar patch on the south side looks pretty good on the aerial, not crazy thick. I’d figure out how to get to a stand for a north wind on the downwind side of that cedar patch but not hunt it until the rut really gets going. AM entrance and hunt all day. Knob on the SE side looks good for bedding too if it’s not too mature. I’d be figuring out some stands locations around it too for prime time rut hunting.

I would not plant it all to beans myself. I’m mainly a bow guy so having 1 huge food plot causes nothing but frustration for me. Great for gun and muzzy but hard to know where they are going to come out for a bow shot and accessing for hunting gets trickier. Normally you can put up to 10% of a crp field into a food plot but I doubt they check if you have 11%. I’d go with a few smaller plots in strategic places. Is the CRP warm season grass? I’ve had good luck cutting trails through our WSG to direct travel. I also mow the CRP right along the edge of the timber to encourage them to make scrapes. Short grass makes it much easier for them to get down to the dirt. They mark the H out of the edge of my CRP fields now that I mow…..not much at all before.

I’m east of you but here are my prime dates for hunting. A late October Halloweenish cold front is great like most areas. Mature bucks move during daylight on my farms at this time but only for a few days. After the late October burst of mature buck movement mature buck movement slows for me. I’m not certain if they lock up with the first few does or figure out it’s too early and tuck it back into their pants for a short time but I just don’t see them in very early November during daylight and neither do my cams. For sure a bunch are shot in early November and you will see a bunch of bucks but it’s is just a bit slow on my farms for mature bucks. For me things get good again around Nov 5th or 6th with the peak for movement a day or 2 on either side of November 9th or 10th. Really good movement all day around the 9th/10th.

Great looking farm. Good luck.

North MO farm tour road trip next spring anyone? I know I could benefit having some experts from this group tour my farms.

Lets do it!

I'm already looking forward to the hangover!

As far as a timber harvest goes, it looks like that was done not that long ago. We harvested a bunch of walnuts in KS 2 years ago. There are not many walnuts and I have only seen one that looks like it would be of harvestable size. I don't know what hickory looks like. Have seen some giant cottonwoods. Not enough big oaks to harvest, need something to hunt out of. Will check to see what it would cost to remove that small round field on the south end of the property. Will also consider just planting it and hoping for the best. .

I'm with MO, buy the CRP back and treat it like your land not theirs.

Or put up a locked gate at the road and do what they want with anything that can be seen from it, do what you want with the rest. Claim oops if their ever energetic enough to get out of the truck and walk.

MO, that sucks, $1200/acre.

Brush it appears those fields to the south are fallow? To start, I wonder about turning that far south opening on edge of property into a food plot. I wouldn't do it if those neighbors hunt, but a kill plots back there could be deadly during the heat of the rut. The deal breaker would obviously be neighbor factor.
How many acres is this again?
How much plotting do u want to do?
How many acres are those existing fields?

What is your reasoning on opening up woods again?

My initial thought is to screen road and plot up by the road. Tall praire grass behind living quarters on that long field directly south of cabin.
Start a food plot from those middle ponds south. More tall praire in the far nw corner of big part of field.
U can slip through one cut trail from the cabin to those central water holes plots. Only rut hunt that small far south plot. No cams that far back long term. The plot by the road is a easy/ doe hunt spot.
Accessing from the perimeter is definitely not a good idea here.

Ill ask my buddy about your neibor to the south next time im up there, he farms & custom harvest some ground in your neiborhood.Land tour sounds great

If some of those neighbors don't hunt, that would be awesome

I am in on the land tour. Maybe a shed hunt farm tour combo. Antlers stay with the property. One farm per day, three or four days.

I will probably pay to have 2 acres taken out of CRP. Will cost me $1400. Then I will take a few liberties with the lines.

So you dont have the ability to plant food plots on x% of the CRP area without removing it from the contract?

So you dont have the ability to plant food plots on x% of the CRP area without removing it from the contract?
Apparently that was an option at signup that didn't happen. That option probably paid a little less per acre.

New CRP rates when it renews will be higher I'm sure. Could do a mix of CRP and tillable. I prefer both on my farms.

I will probably pay to have 2 acres taken out of CRP. Will cost me $1400. Then I will take a few liberties with the lines.

I would just plant a few acres and not say a thing. If they come out and spot check then buy the 2 acres back.

I would just plant a few acres and not say a thing. If they come out and spot check then buy the 2 acres back.

I know a guy that has 125 in CRP and 1/2 of it gets hayed once a year. Right out on the highway in the open. I doubt anyone's walking in.

I know a guy that has 125 in CRP and 1/2 of it gets hayed once a year. Right out on the highway in the open. I doubt anyone's walking in.

Some emergency years they will allow haying on CRP ground. Some CRP contracts are set at a reduced rate just so they can be hayed after July and the wildlife can get away.

Depends what that guy has, he may be legal........but its Missouri most likely not!

Mo, i like your idea. Iwas going to pay for two and plant 4, but your way seems cheaper.

And you have the right to stop soil erosion at any time. You just stopped the erosion and planted soybeans in the 4 acre spot until you got time to frost seed switch back in the winter!;)

Just sayin.....

Just make sure you go in and fill out a 1026 form to do maintenance on your CRP field!;):D