Blank Slate, opinions wanted.

Brush Creek

5 year old buck +
rsz_1aerial_2[1].png Here are aerials of the new property. White circle is the cabin and pole barn, blue circles are ponds. The darker green areas are areas of cedars. All the tillable is in CRP for the next 5 years. We have some ideas but are looking for other ideas as well. Your ideas may be implemented, entertained or just plain denied. I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings.

The tillable to the north is usually row crops but did not get planted this year due to rain. The closest row crops this year are to the east and start a quarter mile before the road going north and south.

The previous owner told us that in the past deer movement had a lot of north/south to it in relation to row crops to the north.

Wide angle to follow once I figure out how to get that one to load.

Lot of southern winds in early season, and lots of Northern winds as you get into late season. Set stands with that in mind.

They added 20 acres to that farm in the SE corner from the last time it was up for sale. Is that 20 all Hickory? Any oaks to leave for early season hunting? Can you hinge small bedding areas from the NW cedars to the SW cedars through that 20 acres and hunt the rut between them?

sw6gz.jpg

What a cool looking property. Without knowing the topography I can see a set up similar to this.

yellow = corn
green = clover, cereal grains, brassicas
white = access
circles = hinge cuts
brown = screens
red = apple trees
orange = possible stand locations

Attachments

• mo.jpg
    mo.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 35
Looks to me like you'll be able to cut off some of that North/South deer movement with plots fairly easily in the future.

Here is approximate topo...

swbe8.jpg

Looks like tough hunting on north wind days to me. I would put in a food plot next to the small pond southwest of the house to take advantage of southwind days. You will be able to slip in and out of that stand site relatively undetected and not bump many deer getting there.

Send in more maps like Shawnv. We have a couple stands in spots he marked for stands already.

I would give Steve B $500 to lay out a plan. Minimal investment for what you will have wrapped into the place time and energy wise. Once you cut a tree...

You want deer and a lot of them? Want to hunt all season with a gun and bow? I would take most of it out of CRP. Plant soybeans, line the field with stands and enjoy your missouri property until you get it figured out. If you don't want to pay the money to take it out of CRP, find out how many acres the contract allows for food plots, and then double that amount and plead idiot if they ever check!

Brush.PNG

I'd recommending planting cedars and/or spruce in several rows along the road frontage. Spray the grass now while it's still growing so you're ready to plant the trees in the spring. You can't go wrong with highway visual screens in my opinion.

I like the idea of getting an expert to take a peak first. Disclaimer now outta the way, here's what I'd do.

I like MO's idea of lots of beans. I'd like to mix some corn into the beans too. I haven't tried it yet, but next year I may spill some into the mix when Marvin ain't looking.

I agree with getting focused on a road screen to get that land up there into the game. I'd look at 3 rows of staggered spruce (whichever grows well depending on whether it's wet or dry) right along the road. 2-3 rows of a hybrid willow behind that for speed. Take the willow out later if you'd like once the spruce close it off. Cut up the big fields with some sort of low growing edible like dogwood, plum, apple, etc, maybe even spruce to give some thermal bedding islands. Maybe spruce first and fill in around the spruce with NWSG once the spruce can get ahead of it and hold it up come winter. Also, get the chainsaw fired up and start releasing your winners and putting some cover and browse on the ground.

Lastly, blast a trail around the entire border of your property so you can get around to the back or sides regardless of the wind direction so you don't have to walk through the middle and stink up half your property getting in and out.

I like the idea of getting an expert to take a peak first. Disclaimer now outta the way, here's what I'd do.

I like MO's idea of lots of beans. I'd like to mix some corn into the beans too. I haven't tried it yet, but next year I may spill some into the mix when Marvin ain't looking.

I agree with getting focused on a road screen to get that land up there into the game. I'd look at 3 rows of staggered spruce (whichever grows well depending on whether it's wet or dry) right along the road. 2-3 rows of a hybrid willow behind that for speed. Take the willow out later if you'd like once the spruce close it off. Cut up the big fields with some sort of low growing edible like dogwood, plum, apple, etc, maybe even spruce to give some thermal bedding islands. Maybe spruce first and fill in around the spruce with NWSG once the spruce can get ahead of it and hold it up come winter. Also, get the chainsaw fired up and start releasing your winners and putting some cover and browse on the ground.

Lastly, blast a trail around the entire border of your property so you can get around to the back or sides regardless of the wind direction so you don't have to walk through the middle and stink up half your property getting in and out.

Mixing corn in with the beans works real good. I do that some times.

Blasting a road around the border of the property may be impossible to use, if you did that. You may have to build bridges through the creek bottoms if you are lucky to be able to do it. The second reason I would not do it is you would be blasting right next to 2 very good bedding areas, if not through them. I would use an electric golf cart around the edge of the soybean field for access. way more quiet than crunching through leaves around a small parcel. JMO!

I like the look!

Brassicas work down there?? I was thinking 1 acre of turnips and radishes near the ponds??

If it would be me I would hunt the property this fall. Explore the hell out of it this winter and early spring before I would be doing any thing. Once you get to know your property than start making decisions on how to set it up.

If it was me,( I would entice Mo over for a land tour and pick his years of experience in that dirt.) 10 years ago we sold a great piece of hunting land to 2 brothers. We had over 100 stands in place and 27 years of countless days of sits. I offered to show them the best stands per season. A few of these were slam dunk rut stands. They said no thanks, we are deer hunters. OK. they just lost 27 years of experience. I drive by their meatpole every gun season and just shake my head.

Read my mind NoFo.
I don't have a lick of experience compared to many on this site but will tell you I will never not plant beans. They really pull them in and are easy as heck to grow!
And Congrats again! Looks like an awesome piece!

Be glad to come and look and give my take. But it is NW Missouri, Leave beans, you will have all the deer! Its pretty simple! I hate to show you guys this again. But I am!

Don't be in a hurry. Learn the property and go slow. I like NOFO's suggestion to have MO over.

You just had to show that video again, didnt you John......... :)