Blank Slate, opinions wanted.

If you are not going to renew the crp contract when it renews then I would focus strictly on learning the property this year and developing a long term plan based on no crp or significantly reduced. Next year I would focus on developing access based on planning and work on cover. Planting wise I would do kinda what Mo talked about and mow some strips along edges and plant them and plan or plenty of beans after contract dies. Prolly would do some serious edge feathering to create access pinch points to the open ground. Great looking property.

If you are not going to renew the crp contract when it renews then I would focus strictly on learning the property this year and developing a long term plan based on no crp or significantly reduced. Next year I would focus on developing access based on planning and work on cover. Planting wise I would do kinda what Mo talked about and mow some strips along edges and plant them and plan or plenty of beans after contract dies. Prolly would do some serious edge feathering to create access pinch points to the open ground. Great looking property.

Right on!

It works great!

And here I was looking at Missouri as the only state I can drive to where land can cash flow. No CRP (income) and acres and acres of beans (expense) runs counter to that plan. I get it makes the hunting better, but a cash flowing piece with the benefits of hunting seems realistic?

And here I was looking at Missouri as the only state I can drive to where land can cash flow. No CRP (income) and acres and acres of beans (expense) runs counter to that plan. I get it makes the hunting better, but a cash flowing piece with the benefits of hunting seems realistic?

Take it out of CRP and rent it out for more money, and have the guy combine the beans jan 16th or later. Still cash flows the same or better and a guy gets great hunting! Pretty simple!

Apparently that was an option at signup that didn't happen. That option probably paid a little less per acre.
Brush, did you check with the FSA about putting 10% into food? I believe it's standard that you can plot 10%. Call Harrison County fsa for a 2nd opinion if gentry says no. The individual fsa folks aren't always correct.