Blank Slate, opinions wanted.

Id listen to MO, my farm is in between yours and MO's, cant disagree with anything hes told you. If you have low impact entry/exit & sit all day in rifle season in this area you will see more deer every day as the season goes on. On my farm, 6acers of soybeans overseed with rye will leave food past muzzleloader season.
congrats, beautiful farm, great area

MO/KS is in a great area as well, just wish he would have bought that 40 to the north!;)

Im still sick about that MO....mabye another good piece around the neighborhood will come up for sale someday.

Im still sick about that MO....mabye another good piece around the neighborhood will come up for sale someday.

Sick? I hear ya! I just had it happen on a farm a have been farming for 25 years. The old man said he would sell to me when he moved to town, but never told the kids I wanted it. Well he got old timers and the kids were cleaning the house out one day and the Amish showed up to ask what they were going to do with the farm. The kids said sell it, what will you give us for the house, sheds and the 160 acres? The Amish said $1,200 an acre cash. And they took it! AHHHHHHHHHHH-WTF?????

Never even asked me! I have been talking to the Amish but they don't want to flip it and make some money. They need it for 2 more families to move in. Man, it is hard for a guy like me to get beat to a property, and one a 1/2 mile away none the less!:mad:

1200 an acre??? Oh good lord.....

^^^ that hurts both ways. Hate it when you farm a place for a good while and it gets away from you, stings even more when they give it away.

Be glad to come and look and give my take. But it is NW Missouri, Leave beans, you will have all the deer! Its pretty simple! I hate to show you guys this again. But I am!

I love that video. Those must be those fancy "Real Deal" beans huh? :D

I love that video. Those must be those fancy "Real Deal" beans huh? :D

Too Funny! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Anyone is invited to come see the place. We have ideas but wont do anything til next year.

Can i get out of the crp contract? It has five years left.

Anyone is invited to come see the place. We have ideas but wont do anything til next year.

You have to buy the years back it has been in place so far, on the acres you want out........on most contracts anyways.

You should check and see what type of CRP program it is enrolled in. Some allow for a certain percentage of food plots. The previous owner may have just not wanted to exercise that option. Also a number of CRP contracts require some type of mid term disturbance technique, such as burning, haying, light discing, etc..

Lots of great advice. Especially the advice, that includes getting to know the property as much as possible. I've said this many times, but don't be afraid to walk around. It's a great idea to id early season rubs(likely buck bedding!) where rubs show up during the rut(buck travel corridors/ doe bedding) scrape lines! Random scrapes!
Of course trails!
It's your call on ending crp contest. Being a $ decision.
Also where neighbors are hunting=important
You need to get to know the property, no so called professional could ever give this! You are already listening to the old property owner-that's really really smart!
Than u can set food plots up after you start figuring things out. I know the so called pros always call for using the border to access stands. That might work in some places, but your topography and and woodlots put u walking right through your bedding. Especially if the neighbors don't hunt.
All this info you will learn is something Steve or anyone could ever give u. Take that $500 and buy that many more trail cams. Info gathering!!!!
Did I say, At this point it's all info gathering. Sure u will bump deer and maybe a big buck. Well that's all info gathering and if u are in it for the long hall, that short term sacrifice is worth the long term knowledge. Anyone can draw on a map saying a deer will bed here or there, but deer a simple animals.
I know this offends some guys, but I'm a hunter! Maybe it's my ego too, but I'm gonna be patient and learn things. It's fun and challenging to learn a property. Sometimes it's easy. Deer aren't some phantom ghost, they are really dumb animals that go off instinct. Some people want instant satisfaction but a guy like Steve could never determine some of the things I mentioned by looking at a map! He can make general inferences but you'll be able to do that after a few sits. I don't care how good of a whisperer many think he is!
You seem like a pretty sharp hunter, just stick with the basics and learn!

The guy asks for guys to draw him some maps on what they would do, and Dipper sticks his nose in again. If the guy wants some maps, give him some maps!

You can't make this crap up!

All this info you will learn is something Steve or anyone could ever give u. Take that $500 and buy that many more trail cams. Info gathering!!!!
!

3 trail cameras for sure have more value long term than a guy who has laid out countless pieces and made many of the mistakes these guys may be on course for. For sure.

3 trail cameras for sure have more value long term than a guy who has laid out countless pieces and made many of the mistakes these guys may be on course for. For sure.

We've done pretty well so far in Kansas without Steve's input, I'm sure he'd have some great advice though and I may even pitch in if BC wants to hire Steve. My thoughts on Kansas and Missouri are different than what they would be in MN. I don't see much need to play defense down there. Low hunting pressure, lots of deer. The common theme I see often is trying to keep deer on the property all the time. I'd rather layout the property so it hunts bigger. Pull deer from the neighbors to food plots or bedding nearer to the borders so you can hunt 3 or 4 guys on it and they can all have the chance to see different deer. We're not down there pounding these properties every weekend. We're doing some scouting/prepping/mild hunting in the early fall then hitting it hard in November.

What little scouting we've done hasn't revealed a single stand near any of the borders. I think the most immediate need on the property is food...

Just some thoughts - right, wrong or even WTF!

On the topo map I circled areas in red that arrea to be points, which in my opinion tend to be where deer like to bed - so I would avoid screwing with these areas unless the understory is weak - them maybe some hinging or selective timber harvest is in order. The green area on the topo is where I would suspect your most fertile soil to be located. Typically streams flood and the resulting silt tends to provide a pretty fertile soil - so ideally this is where your best food plot location would be. Now all of that said - the sta photo I marked things based on cover which tends to be a little different picture. I agree with Mo that an perimeter access would be best, but you may ruin some of your best areas in the process. As such an internal access may be best (purple lines). I would consider leaving the CRP - you want "dead areas" The dark green lines in the north are conifer planting and winter cover. The red circles are where I would leave well enough alone to promote bedding - the red lines are the general deer traffic pattern I would try to promote within your property. Light green is food plots - I would try to keep them small to promote security but you will need to plant enough to feed your deer population as well. I like the idea of corn or beans, fall annual mix of brassic and cereal grains (alone or overseeded into the corn or beans) and then a perennial plot portion as well. I personally like to provide all three in one location if I can. I also tend to plant a few fruit trees in my perennial plots (just what I do). White dots are just general ideas of potential stand sites between bedding and food or along travel routes for cruising bucks. If you keep the CRP something to consider are firebreaks for when you burn. You can plant these in a cool season grass or use them as a perennial plot if you wish. This is all pure speculation on my part - just some ideas and maybe some of them will help you. Something else I see is that stream may be a great hunting access route for you! I love using stream beds to access stands - don;t let that little gift go to waste! You seem to be on the "cover" side of the neighborhood and that is a good thing in my opinion. I't easier to establish food with the open ground you have than it is to establish cover. Learn the property and how the deer use it and try not to "force" anything.
brush.jpg

Any idea what your neighbors are doing regarding hunting they are doing? Archery? Firearm? Muzzleloader?

How much pressure are they putting on?

Won't be paying $20,000 to end the crp contract. CRP will stay. Previous owner did not sign up for food plots. I do have to burn, disc or gly the whole thing in the next 9 months. Nothing will be done this year. No time. We are putting together a long term plan (5 years plus) and map and like all opinions. Based on one weekend, there will be some trees either cut or bulldozed for a plot or two in the woods. We will do some small plots on some of the field edges and beg for forgiveness if caught.

I met the neighbor to the west and they don't bow hunt. Already have permission to put on the property line if needed. He also said only one guy gun hunts there and he just moved 25 miles away. No idea to the south. There is a 4 wheeler trail on part of the east border. Doesn't look heavily traveled at all.

Keep the ideas coming. We will post our master plan this winter.