Best tractor/implement lube?

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
What do you guys recommend for keeping your stuff moving freely? Do you like regular motor oil? Not the grease zerts, but just moving parts. Chains, disc blades, top link threads, etc....

Just curious? Thanks

Deisel fuel for a cheap way to coat some disk blades and such. I use a product called FLUID FILM on battery terminals and areas where I worry about corrosion. (Fertilizer spreader surfaces, and electric connectors, threaded parts, etc). I also use a few different cans of Liquid Wrench brand of pentetatiing oil, lubricating oil, and some chain grease.

Get some fluid film at your John Deere dealer....or on line at Amazon. Some guys undercoat there cars with this stuff. It's a great product....and is everything you wish WD40 might be.....but this stuff works. 2 cents.

I use White lithium grease on different parts. Then other parts WD40 to minimize the corrosion. For hi-pressure moving parts that build-up hat, i use a hi-temp grease.

I use a lot of WD 40. I’ve been impressed with the company after I wrote them for a donation for a fundraiser and they sent 1000 free samples. LOL. I use regular grease on friction parts and regular motor oil on chains and sprockets.

I heard the new formula of Fluid Film (as of 5 or so years ago) isn't as good as the old formula. I still buy it mostly for electric components. Use aerosol cans of chain lube on chains. Use CNH multi-purpose grease in most bearings and motor oil in an oil can squirted where needed. Always looking for the next best penetrating oil. Right now I seem to buy PB Blaster a lot. Smells awesome too. Usually spray battery terminal protector.

I use teflon spray on a lot of stuff.

for me it all comes down what I am trying to do
as there are many great products out there but no one does it all !
as for rust preventive sprays, fluid flim, woolwax(and there supposed to be redone every yr,) and like RP 342,( is designed to last several yrs or more) are all just coatings to help prevent rust, once rust starts however, its sort of too late the process will keep going, unless you do something more aggressive like POR 15 which when done right will pretty much STOP the rust from spreading and growing!

as for keeping joints free and moving, where possible I use grease, where its not easy to get to, I use different oils or spray grease, its kind of funny to me, as for decades folks had oilers, metal oil cans they filled with pretty much any oil they could get and just oiled things, and things lasted, just cause they had the belief that oil was cheaper then replacing things! these old oil cans were in about every garage in the USA at one time, and can be found still in many , or yard sales or?? there easy to leave one on a tractor in a shed, or a tool box that will fit one standing up~!
perfect IMO< for using on farm equipment joints!, fill em with what ever oils you like and have at things HAHA!

(see pic's below for the younger generation guys here)
BUT back then there wassn't as many RULES, LAWS and well !! tree huggers crying about a little spilled oil on the ground
if your worried about oil products being harmful to things, you can use 2 stroke oil, its more environmentally friendly oil, or there are special oils that are also!

but in today's world, it seems so many seem to have the r just throw away and buy again buy more mind set!

ANY lube is better than no lube when it comes to keeping joints freely moving, but some things adding oil also adds to how much dust dirt and debris build about things, and that stuff c an hold moisture, which works against you, if you DON"T keep adding more oils to things!
another big part I found for keeping things working, is, where and how you park them and store them
I know we all don;t have big buildings to store everything inside, but there are better ways to sore things outside than just leaving sit in the dirt or on grass
a gravel pad that was sloped to get water away from your"X:" pitching things before gravel down, goes a long way in allowing water to leave from under things and that adds life to what is parked on the pad
same as parking things in the sun OR shade pending what it is!

Attachments

• qqqqq.png
    qqqqq.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 3
  • qqqqqqqqq.png
    qqqqqqqqq.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 3
50/50 mix of used motor oil and diesel fuel. Paint it on with a cheap brush. I will also put it in a cheap sprayer and spray down trailer boards and equipment that I can’t put under a shelter but buy a cheap sprayer because they will not last.

50/50 mix of used motor oil and diesel fuel. Paint it on with a cheap brush. I will also put it in a cheap sprayer and spray down trailer boards and equipment that I can’t put under a shelter but buy a cheap sprayer because they will not last.
I've used the same oil blend to coat the boards on my wood floor trailers....but just use a paint brush to apply, then put it in a hot sun.....and let it soak-in. Seems to help the treated boards.

I've owned a spray gun like shown below for over 50 years. It was at my dads implement shop prior to that. They used it to spray oil and "implement varnish" to prevent rust. I have not seen implement varnish used In many years.....but it was a clear paint like product that would prevent rust on combines, balers and such. I can remember oiling disks and planters and some plows with that gun. I need to look for it.....I know I have it.....but have not seen it in a year or three. Seems to never plug. The one in the pic is made by Speed Air ($40).....but I wonder if Harbor Freight would not have one?

I should be using this on my Fertilizer spreader and for decks and disk blades, etc. Use old engine oil.....never seems to clog.

Attachments

• oil spray gun.jpg
    oil spray gun.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 6