Best pliers for cutting cage/fencing

RGrizzzz

5 year old buck +
What are the best pliers/tool for cutting wire fence for cages? I use lineman pliers, but I don't love them because they don't spring back open. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Usually cutting 5' welded wire fence with a 4"x2" grid.

24 or 30 inch bolt cutters are the ticket.
IMG_0587.jpeg

Used these for years. Spring loaded.

Klein

D201-7CSTA​

Take your time, wear long sleeve shirts. Cut a few at a time.

klein 1104 pliers are not spring loaded, but are probably the best style for steel wie.

Last edited:
Bolt cutters here too. Side cutters are for guys with beastmaster hands. Altho everyone should get a pair of the Knipex brand cobra pliers seen elsewhere in the link provided by Tmax.

I use bolt cutters or angle grinder.

Bolt cutters on the concrete reinforcement mesh.

Knipex combo pliers. I used channel lock side cutters for years prior to that which worked good as well.

Talking about pliers made me think of a time when I was kid about 8-10yrs old hanging with my grandpa in his auto shop when a tool salesman stopped in. The salesman aggressively handed my grandpa a pair of these newest “super tough” pliers. Grandpa calmly put a 1/2”ish bolt in the jaws and squeezed the handles until they touched. “Nope, not any good” and handed them back to the salesman looking back to whatever he was working on. Salesman didn’t say a word, just headed for the door. 😂🇺🇸👍🏻

What are the best pliers/tool for cutting wire fence for cages? I use lineman pliers, but I don't love them because they don't spring back open. Does anyone have a better suggestion? Usually cutting 5' welded wire fence with a 4"x2" grid.

I have mostly 2"x4"x48" welded wire cages. I have mostly 14 gauge cages, but I do have about 5 rolls of 12 gauge wire that I bought. Thinking I have at least 300 cages maybe a little more. If I am making 10 cages out of a 100 foot roll I can get them all cut and formed in 20 minutes with no snow on the ground. I cut all of mine with the same snips in my picture and its still working fine after all those rolls. I unroll the whole roll and then "measure" with a 10ft 2x4. It goes quick. Probably $15-20 at Menards. Works awesome unless you put it in the hands of a pansy. Spring loaded.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 213915.png

I have mostly 2"x4"x48" welded wire cages. I have mostly 14 gauge cages, but I do have about 5 rolls of 12 gauge wire that I bought. Thinking I have at least 300 cages maybe a little more. If I am making 10 cages out of a 100 foot roll I can get them all cut and formed in 20 minutes with no snow on the ground. I cut all of mine with the same snips in my picture and its still working fine after all those rolls. I unroll the whole roll and then "measure" with a 10ft 2x4. It goes quick. Probably $15-20 at Menards. Works awesome unless you put it in the hands of a pansy. Spring loaded.

View attachment 62878
Not made for a steady diet of wire cutting....IMO. I have used a bolt cutter and a lineman pliers mostly......but the bolt cutter is easier on the hands. Tho I have used the pictured Irwin sheet metal shears a few times too. I wish I had thought of my electric wheel cutter and a decent metal blade. I bet that would be the best ticket for this job.

^^^^

I've got over 300 cages off one pair of snips. That's a lot of miles.... It doesn't owe me anything if it falls apart and I FLY through the cages with it. If it fails I will buy another one and keep using that. Definitely not ideal for everyone, but works great for me. Takes a strong hand to run it.

I use a battery powered angle grinder with a cutting disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely! I’ve got one at the cabin. If I’m there, come get it.

Absolutely! I’ve got one at the cabin. If I’m there, come get it.

Four hours ...each way and then another trip to give back the grinder. OK....makes perfect sense to me. Grin.

Four hours ...each way and then another trip to give back the grinder. OK....makes perfect sense to me. Grin.

Marv is just a few miles down the road from me. I shoulda worded that better. I’ve cut cage and garden fence with my wheel. I’m thru a 5’ cage before I can finish my bend down dad noise.