Best implement for leveling plots?

It's too late to replant in PA. Spring time it'll get leveled.
Understood. Same principle for spring.

I had a dozer do some work this past summer and had them level a field I had been not tilling for a couple of years. Broke my heart. But made planting so much easier after. And , all that work wasn’t for naught. It bounced back immediately and is acting just like it was before now, just flatter!

I have a 14' field cultivator with trailing sweeps that smooths out the tool rows that I can run anywhere from 1 to 8" deep and get a nice level "agriculture grade" leveled top finish
Find a row crop neighbor with a similar piece of equipment and rent him to do it ..if you notill you wont need ground broken again for 10/15 years ..so pick a young neighbor so he'll remember how to do it (picture for explanation ..mine is green and wider and some day for sale I hope ! )
We have places around here also that rent this type of equipment so look around for rental also ..good luck

1696113874598.jpeg
😁

I have a 14' field cultivator with trailing sweeps that smooths out the tool rows that I can run anywhere from 1 to 8" deep and get a nice level "agriculture grade" leveled top finish
Find a row crop neighbor with a similar piece of equipment and rent him to do it ..if you notill you wont need ground broken again for 10/15 years ..so pick a young neighbor so he'll remember how to do it (picture for explanation ..mine is green and wider and some day for sale I hope ! )
We have places around here also that rent this type of equipment so look around for rental also ..good luck

View attachment 57907
😁
I just bought one to attach to a disk. 😉

A follow up question for the group. I managed to pick up the leveling bar and the rolling basket from a Perfecta in the price range I was looking for. The previous owner cut it off, with some of the frame still attached. I'm curious on the best ways to use this. I have a tractor and a Polaris Ranger as options. (it was partially apart for transport)

1. I could potentially attatch it to my 6' disk with the U bolts. (remove frame piece) But then I don't think I'm able to angle the disk anymore. I'm not sure how well it will lift off the ground either.
2. Attach a ball to the old frame piece and drag it with the tractor. I could raise/lower the 3 point to get the leveing bar off the ground for "transport". The roller can roll on the ground to the plots. Could likely drag it once at plots with the Ranger.
3. Attach some sort of 3 point frame. I don't have one, not sure where to source one. Thoughts?

Attachments

• perfecta.jpg
    perfecta.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 22
Do you need to transport it back and forth or can you just get it to the plots and leave it there?

Do you need to transport it back and forth or can you just get it to the plots and leave it there?
It needs to be transported a few hundred yards from where it will be stored for most of the plots. Maybe 100 yards of it is stone driveway, the rest is grass/field paths. It will need to go to a farther plot once, sometime in the spring. That plot might be a 1/4" mile on the stone driveway. It needs to cross the creek too. I'm thinking we could "carry" it with a chain and the FEL on the tractor in this one situation.

Realistically, I hope to need this once to smooth out the finish grade on a few plots.

Picture of disc or description would help ..but the picture above of just duplicate mounting your cage and sweeps like shown in the picture subbing your disc for the cultivator is you best bet ..your small hobby disc will likely need a tool bar fashioned on the back of your disc and then the mounting plate welded to the tool bar and be sure to make a series of positioning holes to move the sweep/cage assembly +/- in height ..the plus to all this is there is no such thing as a hobby disc not needing PERMANENT weight added to it so I would even consider including as you attach your tool bar to provide provisions to place additional weigh (s) ..if nothing but a tray/box to fill with heavy "stuff: of your choice"

Good score there

Bear

Picture of disc or description would help ..but the picture above of just duplicate mounting your cage and sweeps like shown in the picture subbing your disc for the cultivator is you best bet ..your small hobby disc will likely need a tool bar fashioned on the back of your disc and then the mounting plate welded to the tool bar and be sure to make a series of positioning holes to move the sweep/cage assembly +/- in height ..the plus to all this is there is no such thing as a hobby disc not needing PERMANENT weight added to it so I would even consider including as you attach your tool bar to provide provisions to place additional weigh (s) ..if nothing but a tray/box to fill with heavy "stuff: of your choice"

Good score there

Bear
It's a fairly heavy duty 3 point 6' disc. I forget the brand. It's got 3"+ square tubing, and two rows of cutters. You can run them straight or angle them.

I don't think you can weld on a tool bar because the two sides are independent, and you'd have to weld to both sides of the back set of discs. Then you couldn't angle them.

I'll see if I can find a picture of a similar disk.
Edit: similar to this, but it doesn't have the full square frame. There's nothing in the rear. I'll have a picture next weekend

Last edited:
Back piece of the disk is angle iron, not square tubing. Looks likely that I'll be dragging on a ball/hitch. Disk PXL_20231030_175639077.jpg

That implement you bought looks alot like an Arena drag for horse events. Probably be good on sandy soil by itself. Typical northast heavy clay soils, you going to need the discs in combination with that. You could change the angle of attack on the disc to a less aggressive angle. IF possible, go alongisde hills, not up and down them.

Nothing wrong with a bit of discing the soil. I'd lime and fertilize if possible. Spring will be a better time for you , if ground moisture isn't too excessive. Can see the teeth on the drag getting filled up with straw if you try late summer.

Does any have thoughts on the easiest way to convert the leveler bar/rolling basket into a 3pt mount? I don't think I'm going to be able to mount to the disk, without damaging it. Do companies sell 3pt conversion kits? 3 pt might be better than pulling with a ball hitch on the UTV.