Best implement for leveling plots?

RGrizzzz

5 year old buck +
What's everyone's favorite 3pt implement for leveling plots? We have a few plots on slight slopes that could use a bit of smoothing/leveling, just to ensure proper depth with our Genesis 3 drill. I'd prefer to minimize tillage as much as possible. Would something like a pulverizer work well? We have a lot of shale/rocks in the soil, so it needs to be able to hande that. We use a combination of disking/dragging/cultipacking over the years, but there has to be a better way.

What's the reason for your uneven ground? Was it never leveled, or was it rutted up by something?

What's the reason for your uneven ground? Was it never leveled, or was it rutted up by something?
Polish machine operators + beer

It's a combination of things. Plots were fallow fields for many years. Started plowing and disking, without proper finishing equipment like drags and/or cultipacker. Water played a part, but ditches have been fixes for the most part. Etc.

Polish machine operators
That happened on my place two years ago. Gonna try to fix it this year.

Some pictures might help provide a better response. I've used a 3 pt. 7' blade and my tractor bucket to address deep groves left by combines and tractor/trailer rigs.

Some pictures might help provide a better response. I've used a 3 pt. 7' blade and my tractor bucket to address deep groves left by combines and tractor/trailer rigs.
We're only talking a matter of a few inches here and there, but that creates a problem for the drill, which wants VERY FLAT ground.

If you really want level, I have no 3 pt favorite. I get best results with less seat time pulling a spring tooth drag compared to box blade, 7 ft blade, or landscape rake. Own and collected them all over the yrs. Something like this works about the best. Can drag a looped chain behind that to bust up clods a bit too. Does require discing or chisel plowing prep prior to the drag.

But get field level and park that other stuff for years after that if you want so don't get all worked up about initial tillage needed and later switch to your drill

89510dw.jpg

If you really want level, I have no 3 pt favorite. I get best results with less seat time pulling a spring tooth drag compared to box blade, 7 ft blade, or landscape rake. Own and collected them all over the yrs. Something like this works about the best. Can drag a looped chain behind that to bust up clods a bit too. Does require discing or chisel plowing prep prior to the drag.

But get field level and park that other stuff for years after that if you want so don't get all worked up about initial tillage needed and later switch to your drill

View attachment 53930

This is what we use. Very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're only talking a matter of a few inches here and there, but that creates a problem for the drill, which wants VERY FLAT ground.
For that I would consider the tractor bucket, box blade or regular blade. Once you take off the worst, try to drill after a rain (a foreign concept locally, given Missouri's drought). I tried drilling into dry soil last year and it didn't work very well. That night it rained, and the next day the drill (a Haybuster 707) seemed to work much better and didn't complain about field imperfections as much.

I would think a driveway leveling plane (land plane?) might be the ticket for what you have. Might have one at a rental store or find somebody with a long dirt driveway to borrow one. Also the horse people have an arena leveling plane that may work for you.

^^^ was first thinking of a land plane too but those are shown used mostly with small, loose, evenly sized material i.e. like gravel that do not cause it to jump up and down much. My guess with any sizable rocks will jump the whole plane up and down if crossbar hits a rock instead of a tine that bends back while rest of rig still rides on ground like a farm drag. Dunno but my .02.

I really don't want to have to disk if possible. Wouldn't something like a pulverizer work? It'll just loosen the top soil a bit and then smooth it out.

The wider the implement the better the results will be for getting level ground. Just a big drag will take down high spots and bring material that will fill in the lower spots Too small of a drag can make things worse if you're not careful.

I spent some time looking at attachment equipment company websites. It looks like a field cultivator with a soil conditioner/rolling basket on the back would be the ideal tool. Now to see if I can find a rental unit, as I'd probably only need it for a day or two.

I finally found a Perfecta attachment. It's. 6' leveling bar with rolling basket. $300 was right in budget. It probably needs some bearings, and some paint. Debating whether to drag it solo, or attach it to the disk we have.

Attachments

• received_6979994455385294.jpeg
    received_6979994455385294.jpeg
    563.4 KB · Views: 42
More pics please?

More pics please?
It's the back of this. I got quotes for the whole unit for $4500ish for a 6' 3 point unit. You can buy the parts I bought new, to bolt onto another piece of equipment. I think a new leveling bar with rolling basket was about $3500 for a 5', which was about what they charges for the whole thing.

I think I’d would disc it really well and get it flat, plant heavy rye and just start the no till process after. One season of crops and you’ll be right as rain.

I think I’d would disc it really well and get it flat, plant heavy rye and just start the no till process after. One season of crops and you’ll be right as rain.
It's too late to replant in PA. Spring time it'll get leveled.