Bears got to my crab apple trees

Gator

5 year old buck +
Just a matter of time I suppose. Look at the cages. Last pic while the trees were still normal had a bear, next pic had a buck and the trees were broken as seen in the pics :mad: On that note, I had 4-5 pear trees that had pears this year and they were there mid july when I was at the farm and this weekend they were all gone. No bear damage that I could see, what else would take them? None on the ground inside the cages either like I would suspect if they fell off the tree.

Attachments

• crabapple_damage1.JPG
    crabapple_damage1.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 39
  • crabapple_damage2.JPG
    crabapple_damage2.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 38
That stinks. The answer to your question is coons or squirrels. Look at it as a "wildlife" tree rather than deer tree, it will make you feel better. Makes me feel better when my trees get thrashed, anyway.

Just a matter of time I suppose. Look at the cages. Last pic while the trees were still normal had a bear, next pic had a buck and the trees were broken as seen in the pics :mad: On that note, I had 4-5 pear trees that had pears this year and they were there mid july when I was at the farm and this weekend they were all gone. No bear damage that I could see, what else would take them? None on the ground inside the cages either like I would suspect if they fell off the tree.

Could have been coon taking the pears.

If it ain't too late, put up a cam then draft a war plan.

Bummer, not cool.

That sucks Gator. Clean up that damage and try to get a new central leader tied upright. Then go after the bear this fall.

If the bear had gone into your pear trees you'd seen some damage. Probably raccoon but, I'm surprised they cleaned them all up.

The raccoons on my place don't bother my Kieffers much, but the crabapples will be there one night, gone the next. Nothing on the tree, nothing inside the cage, nothing outside the cage. Not even apple chips. It's crazy.

The raccoons on my place don't bother my Kieffers much, but the crabapples will be there one night, gone the next. Nothing on the tree, nothing inside the cage, nothing outside the cage. Not even apple chips. It's crazy.
So how does one go about thwarting said masked bandits?

20140618_121526_resized_1.jpg Trapping.

I see your raccoon and raise you a feline

Was it someone's pet or a stray?
That's my number one vole catcher. Who woulda guessed it likes sardines? I hope I didn't make it too mad. To answer your question, I'm not sure who feeds this cat, but it's been around for a couple of years.

Not a bear or the tree would be on the ground. I found a freaking groundhog in my Asian pear tree last week. Nearly killed myself trying to run him over with the Ranger lol

One of our camp members last week watched a big doe get up on her hind legs and use her front legs to thrash the lower limbs of one of our apple trees to knock more apples off. That tree has one broken branch about 3 ft. long, but the tree is big enough to survive. Most of it's mass is above reach of deer. Opposum will eat apples and other fruit too. They climb trees. I've seen squirrels cut small apples and tear them open to get the seeds from the core.