Bear in my water tank!!!

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
I have a picture on my cell cam of a bear by my 100 gallon water tank at 3:00AM. The next picture is of a deer at 6:10 and I can't see water in the tank. He either put a hole in the Rubbermaid 100 gallon ag tank or displaced a lot of water by going in the tank. I can see one of the rings so at least 1/3 of the water is gone!!! I do have dirt on the bottom so hopefully he didn't put a hole in it. Stupid bears!!!

Bears sure are annoying and destructive. They have been known to chew holes in gas cans. Might want to read up on patch kits that adhere well to plastic...sorry

Bears are supersized trash pandas

Threat down.png

I had to accept that lots of things weren't going to happen at my place because of bears. Just have to adapt and work through it.

I do need to put out a cam or two to watch the spring green up happen. I usually get 6+ bears coming through my place in the spring.

Finished planting my 2023 apple trees yesterday and it’s like these 3 bears came through on a scouting mission for future apple tree destruction. I start getting them on camera about weekly starting in early May until at least September. They didn’t hit any cameras this time around at least. Bears are just dicks.

Attachments

• 1B42612A-ADEC-45DE-BCE9-27FFFC4D3BEC.png
    1B42612A-ADEC-45DE-BCE9-27FFFC4D3BEC.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 45
I don’t have bear issues but the new farm has a good crop of beavers terrorizing all trees on the creek banks.

I don’t have bear issues but the new farm has a good crop of beavers terrorizing all trees on the creek banks.
Had to remove beaver dams 4 times last year before they gave up on that spot on my property. Went for a walk last week with my dogs and the beavers are back at it again. Excavator takes out the dam in just a couple of minutes but last year I removed the dam in the morning and they had half of it rebuilt by sun down.

Finished planting my 2023 apple trees yesterday and it’s like these 3 bears came through on a scouting mission for future apple tree destruction. I start getting them on camera about weekly starting in early May until at least September. They didn’t hit any cameras this time around at least. Bears are just dicks.

Freaking bears are doing tag-team events in my plots.
Standing Bears .jpeg

Well she didn’t hit my cameras yesterday but the cranky sow came back and hit 1 today. This one has 3 cubs. Just hammering the young clover. 18 bear videos today and not 1 deer. Kinda laughable that I’m trying to get apple trees going because everything I do, the bears undo. Tearing cameras off of trees. Uncovering pallets of lime and tearing open 1/2 the bags so they turned to bricks. Tipping over freshly planted conifers. Dragging my garbage cans away from the cabin. Lmao.

Attachments

• 818301C7-F96A-4352-8B82-D19DE8D637FC.png
    818301C7-F96A-4352-8B82-D19DE8D637FC.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 45F3BFC5-8E5B-4752-894E-C1026E7ACB1C.png
    45F3BFC5-8E5B-4752-894E-C1026E7ACB1C.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I hear you Fair Oak. May 1st is when the bears show up at my place as well. I've learned over the years to stop feeding the birds when May rolls around as the bears move in and tear up anything that looks or smells like it may contain food.

Really testing my patience this year. I planted 10-12 of these 4-6’ conifers in April and the bears tipped over 4 the following day. Bought fencing and stakes, straightened out the trees and caged them. The dickhead bears decided to test my cages today and hit another camera and turned it sideways. From what I can tell, the cages held and the cameras still work. For now.

My predator (Bear,coyote, wolf, bobcat) to deer pictures/videos ratio on 8 cell cams so far for May is 4:1. It’s been an interesting spring.

Attachments

• B0E47AF7-DA75-46C0-ABDA-AB99776452C4.png
    B0E47AF7-DA75-46C0-ABDA-AB99776452C4.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Had to remove beaver dams 4 times last year before they gave up on that spot on my property. Went for a walk last week with my dogs and the beavers are back at it again. Excavator takes out the dam in just a couple of minutes but last year I removed the dam in the morning and they had half of it rebuilt by sun down.
My friend had this problem at his camp also. We resolved the problem by first blowing out a section of the dam with tannerite. ( that itself is worth the price of admission) We then used a 20' section of PVC and placed that in the newly created opening. You need to have a 90 degree elbow of PVC on the dam side with the opening facing down, this way the beavers can't figure out where the water is escaping from the moat of their luxury condo. We also drilled multiple holes along the length of the pipe. Have the outflow end extend past the end of the dam wall at least 6 feet so their little brains don't realize that could be part of the their problem. After you've finished sit back with your cohorts enjoy your work by sucking down a case of your favorite brew.

Beavers down here where I’m at are different than what I grew up with in Northern Wisconsin down here in Kansas they don’t seem to be much interested dam or lodge building and just borrow into the stream/river banks they definitely seem to have different habits. When I get some time I’ll likely set a few traps along the creek to thin out my beaver population.

Really testing my patience this year. I planted 10-12 of these 4-6’ conifers in April and the bears tipped over 4 the following day. Bought fencing and stakes, straightened out the trees and caged them. The dickhead bears decided to test my cages today and hit another camera and turned it sideways. From what I can tell, the cages held and the cameras still work. For now.

My predator (Bear,coyote, wolf, bobcat) to deer pictures/videos ratio on 8 cell cams so far for May is 4:1. It’s been an interesting spring.
Bears at my Rusk County WI place think tree cages are just toys to play with. Every year they seem to turn a couple cages inside out and bend the fenceposts like pretzels, but the trees typically bounce back fine. Now that they changed the WI bear zones, we can draw bear tags in 2 years as opposed to the 8 years it previously took. Hopefully the damage decreases once the bear numbers are thinned out.

It looks like you should start applying for bear tags.

We had 3 here the other night. Momma tore through our screened porch and made a mess. I'm not sure what she was after, but she must have smelled something.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 16
Bears at my Rusk County WI place think tree cages are just toys to play with. Every year they seem to turn a couple cages inside out and bend the fenceposts like pretzels, but the trees typically bounce back fine. Now that they changed the WI bear zones, we can draw bear tags in 2 years as opposed to the 8 years it previously took. Hopefully the damage decreases once the bear numbers are thinned out.

It looks like you should start applying for bear tags.
After having a few incidents with trespassers during turkey season I moved a camera to a utilization cage in my beans I just planted last week. I received a picture of what I thought was a human in a black sweatshirt stealing my camera! Then it took another pic with 2 black ears. Absolutely no reason he needed to go up to that empty cage in the middle of a field. Maybe he ran out of cages to wreck at your place and moved to mine. Lol