Bag worm infestation

willy

5 year old buck +
Anybody have any knowledge on these. Our state forester put out an email educating us about them and I watched the videos he attached. I got em thick.

I'm not sure what they will do to my fruit trees on the farm but almost every cedar I look at has a load of bag worm shelters attached to many of their limbs. It is much larger than just walk around and pull all the shelters off of trees. The advice on the vids were to pull the worm shelters or spray.

I don't want to spray as I feel I will kill the honey bees.

What can I expect for the destruction they will bring?

Spray with Bt, honeybee safe

I use water and biton,some say you can spray with soapy water and they will suffocate.If you spray them with something that will kill them they usually start squirming.You must be in a real warm area as here in Kansas it will be a couple more months before we see them

I use water and biton,some say you can spray with soapy water and they will suffocate.If you spray them with something that will kill them they usually start squirming.You must be in a real warm area as here in Kansas it will be a couple more months before we see them

Thank you homerj and buckdeer1.
I don't see the worms yet, just the list hives hanging all over the cedars. I can spray now or do I have to wait until they are breaking out of the hive?

I think I posted on your thread on a different site. Told you I had some on an apple tree last yr. I've had bagworms on cedars forever but just noticed them on a fruit tree for the first time last yr. I'm guessing they won't be a problem for me, they've had plenty of opportunities to create havoc and haven't. Maybe something to keep an eye on but not stress to much about...

Tear open some of the bags and see if there is a worm,if not they may be dead.Another critter is webworms and these will be in a see through web and you can see a bunch of little worms.Two ways to get them,take a pole saw break open web and spray or cut down limb and burn or put in black trash bag in sun

Tear open some of the bags and see if there is a worm,if not they may be dead.Another critter is webworms and these will be in a see through web and you can see a bunch of little worms.Two ways to get them,take a pole saw break open web and spray or cut down limb and burn or put in black trash bag in sun
Thanks buckdeer for the suggestion. They look just like the ones in the videos the forester sent out in the email. There are thousands of these little nests attached to the trees on my place. I would need to cut down every cedar tree. That ain't going to happen. I may do the spray thing but odds are I'm going to roll the dice and see what happens.

Isn't there some type of oil that is sprayed on dormant trees that will deal with insect eggs?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Isn't there some type of oil that is sprayed on dormant trees that will deal with insect eggs?

You mean "dormant oil"? :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If they are the little brown sacks tear open to see if live worm and then spray with biten one bottle will spray a bunch of trees

Isn't the OP's situation what dormant oil is designed for?

I have no idea if that's the case. I was just making a joke in that the post had the words dormant and oil in it... and the name of the spray is actually "dormant oil". I was being somewhat of a smartass...

Reactions: Tap

I have no idea if that's the case. I was just making a joke in that the post had the words dormant and oil in it... and the name of the spray is actually "dormant oil". I was being somewhat of a smartass...

Yeah, but I'm being a dumb ass. I dont really have much to contribute to this thread but I did remember, reading at one time, about dormant oil being used to "seal up" egg masses, larvae, etc. I had no idea if it applies to the OP, but I thought I would mention the oil.

We have always just torn open the bags and let the wasps take care of them. A sprayer with a needle spray tip will tear bags open from a pretty good distance.

Once the wasps find an open colony.... they go to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk