Bad Freeze Forecast - Bye Bye Apples & Pears

My mulberries were fried. Leaves and all. Fortunately they were the only ones that took damage, my plums are still hanging in there. Hopefully there wont be another cold spell.

The cold snap even had me holding my breath down here in North Florida. The forecast kept bouncing between 37 and 40, but woke up to 34 and soon as the sun started rising could see light frost in a few cold pockets around my place. Honestly less concerned for fruit loss, than I am ambrosia boring beetles being drawn to any stressed trees.

For the forum members anywhere between Florida and NC who did get hit, might want to proactively spray your tree trunks before it's too late. Once you see the sawdust toothpicks sticking out, not much of an option other than cutting them to the ground and hoping for the best on resprouting.

My mulberries were fried. Leaves and all. Fortunately they were the only ones that took damage, my plums are still hanging in there. Hopefully there wont be another cold spell.
BrushyPines, just as FYI the two species I had the ambrosia beetles infest were fig and mulberry. Cut both to ground level and blessedly both regrew quickly.

Here's a bit of info on the beetles if you aren't familiar with them and some tips on proactively treating trees before they can be attacked.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/preventing-ambrosia-beetles.htm

I've still got a month to go before our average last frost date, but my trees sure aren't acting like it. Pears, plums, and cherries ready to open in a few days, with some of the apples not far behind. I'm really hoping mother nature is kind as I've got several trees I'm planning on getting my first apples from (honey crisp, granny smith, zestar, pristine, prairie spy, wolf river), and they're loaded.

Bartlett pear
PXL_20210410_181705885.jpg

I just got around to looking at the long range. May 10 is my typical last frost. Looking pretty good with just one 31F next week but a few other mid 30 nights to go.

I'm flowering on my pears now (1st real flower I've had other than a couple last year) and now they're calling for 34 as a low this week. Cmon man...