ayers pear

OHIOShedder

Yearling... With promise
Any experience with Ayers pears? I scored 3 of them for $5 each on clearance at walmart. They are semi dwarf but 10-12' tall. I'm reading they are good eating and disease resistant.

I have an 8' bed on my truck and worried how they will do during an hour drive at 60-70mph to their final destination. They lost several leaves during a short drive at 30 mph hanging 4' past my tailgate.

Blue tarp and gorilla tape! You wont have leaves left otherwise.

Thanks. I would definitely loose most leaves at that speed. Do you think it would kill them or just set them back if I dont wrap them?

Do you think it would kill them or just set them back if I dont wrap them?

Not trying to be a jerk, but either result is not something that is desirable. For under $15 you wont have to worry about either scenario.

Ayers is my favorite eating pear, and I have yet to see one single limb affected by fireblight. Even with an unknown rootstock, I would be all over that deal. One of the ones I have came from Walmart and produced fruit the next year.

Not trying to be a jerk, but either result is not something that is desirable. For under $15 you wont have to worry about either scenario.
No offense taken...good common sense response...I saved on the trees so I might as well spend a bit to keep them in good shape. I just wrapped them up and ready for transport. Thanks.

They will be dead if you don't tarp them. I bought one for $3 last fall at tractor supply. I just buried the pot until spring and moved it to its permanent home. It has, by far out grown the grafted pears I got from cummins.