ATV Spreaders - how fancy to get?

If you get a tow behind, don’t load it up to its maximum rated capacity then drive like Danica all over bumpy plots. Ask me how I know. Twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a tow behind, don’t load it up to its maximum rated capacity then drive like Danica all over bumpy plots. Ask me how I know. Twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I grew a super healthy WR patch about 3' in diameter by trying to break a land speed record with a full tow behind spreader on the steepest part of one of the plots above my house...lesson learned...

One reason you might want to mount it up on the racks is so it is higher than the vegetation. I mounted a board across the bed of my polaris ranger and fixed a 2” receiver hitch to that. My moultri spreader throws seed from 4’ high - so the seed isnt obstructed by vegetation. I can move it back down to my regular receiver if the ground is fairly clean. Also, while the spreader is mounted in the upper position, I can spread seed and spray chemicals from a bed mounted 25 gal sprayer. I do not run fertilizer in my moultrie as it has an electronic speed and gate control. It is the gate I would worry about.

One reason you might want to mount it up on the racks is so it is higher than the vegetation. I mounted a board across the bed of my polaris ranger and fixed a 2” receiver hitch to that. My moultri spreader throws seed from 4’ high - so the seed isnt obstructed by vegetation. I can move it back down to my regular receiver if the ground is fairly clean. Also, while the spreader is mounted in the upper position, I can spread seed and spray chemicals from a bed mounted 25 gal sprayer. I do not run fertilizer in my moultrie as it has an electronic speed and gate control. It is the gate I would worry about.
Those are all great points. I spray all the metal parts of my spreader down with tri flow lubricant after every use. Lime and fertilizer will ruin a spreader quicker than anything.

I have a front receiver on my UTV and a L shaped drawbar to which is bolted my Herd GT 77 I imagine the seed spinner is about 42” high and I can still lift a full bag of seed into the hopper (which holds one bushel). I can spread seed nearly 20 feet to either side of the seeder, or turn down the rheostat to throw it just a few feet.

I also, do have a plate that mounts to the fron loader on my tractor so I could mount it ther too.....which would allow the seeded to be operated at about 10 feet high.....which could be like air seeding into high crops....lol. I have not done this yet bu5 may give it a spin (pun intended) this summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a front receiver on my UTV and a L shaped drawbar to which is bolted my Herd GT 77 I imagine the seed spinner is about 42” high and I can still lift a full bag of seed into the hopper (which holds one bushel). I can spread seed nearly 20 feet to either side of the seeder, or turn down the rheostat to throw it just a few feet.

I also, do have a plate that mounts to the fron loader on my tractor so I could mount it ther too.....which would allow the seeded to be operated at about 10 feet high.....which could be like air seeding into high crops....lol. I have not done this yet bu5 may give it a spin (pun intended) this summer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m gonna try that too. Spread on front of tractor then immediately cut with flail mower on back of tractor. Plus seed gets pushed down with tractor tires. Win win.

I use this Moultrie spreader I bought in 2014. I mount it either on the front or rear rack of my 4 wheeler. I'v probably planted a hundred acres or more with it total. It works great for rye and oats. It's ok for small stuff like turnips but I usually use a hand spreader for those. I've done quite a bit of tiny switchgrass seed with it as well. My strategy for that is always to let the seed flow as slow as possible and drive back over it a couple times if need be. It does good with fertilizer as long as it's good and dry. It has no agitator so whatever you put in needs to flow on it's own.

This is an older pic when I was doing row crops and trying to keep weeds at bay. NO MORE. Drill baby drill. ;). ( tho that cornfield really came on strong that summer)

This is pretty much how my Honda UTV spends the summers tho. I put a couple bent metal tubes on the Herd seeder mount so it's easy to take off and set it down on a rolling cart. I use a green rope to open the seed gate and a red rope to close the seed gate. The Fiimco sprayer spends allot of time on the back of the UTV. Both are operated off a quick connect (Anderson type) coupler.....so they can come out in minutes. Been thinking about replacing that boomless spray bar with a boom set up ........suggestions? (thanks).

I kinda like the idea of the Herd going on the tractor to get over the vegetation and into the taller crops. Herd makes an adapter plate for spreading small seeds or fire ant bait (I think(. I put that in my spreader and can now spread down to 2 or 3 lbs of clover very nicely. (I hate walking with a whirly bird spreader).

front of UTV.jpgback of UTV.jpg

Last edited:
I use this a fair bit to spray and plant at the same time. Could easily do with spreader front mounted on ATV and sprayer on back
View attachment 49635

Sometimes I am amazed at the dumb stuff that we do that actually works! Great idea! 😁

SD.....do you have a 2" receiver on the front of that wheeler?
Do you have any problems with seed blowing back on you? My father in law had one and complained about seed all over his atv. He ended up making a plate to block the seed. Not sure what brand it was.

For large seeds and fertilizer I use a pull behind Agri-Fab spreader that I purchased at Fleet Farm for around $200. It works so well I have one at home and at the cabin so I don't have to haul it back and forth. The spreading mechanism is gear driven when the wheels turn, so there is no motor or wires to worry about. That spreader doesn't work well for small seeds though.

For small seeds I use a Mountrie spreader that mounts on the front or back rack. I planted 8 acres of CRP using that spreader and it worked great. I believe that was about $150 or so.
I use a brinly pull behind and I love it. It holds 4 bags of rye. It really throws the seed. I use it for lime, fertilizer, soybeans and rye. I can spread one after the other without having to change implements. Only knock is you wanted to spread over really rough terrain you have to be careful. There is so many of these spreaders at yard sales and used online for $40 -50. Seems like people buy them to sprader fertilizer on their lawns once and then sell them.

Do you have any problems with seed blowing back on you? My father in law had one and complained about seed all over his atv. He ended up making a plate to block the seed. Not sure what brand it was.
Yeah....a little sometimes. I did make a bit of a sheild from some cardboard to keep it out of the wheeler at one time. It was not a huge event. Thinking about this....it may have been on my UTV and I did not want seeds getting into the radiator. I think they all sling a bit wild....dpending on the seeds and wind, etc.

I just saw another used Herd seeder for sale on Marketplace for about $700. Yikes.

My moultri spreader throws seed from 4’ high - so the seed isnt obstructed by vegetation.
I second this!

I bought a used tow behind with a good sized hopper but lacked the foresight of eventually having a good stand of vegetation I won't be able to broadcast seed through. The plate on my tow behind is only 12-18" off the ground :/

Live and learn lol

I second this!

I bought a used tow behind with a good sized hopper but lacked the foresight of eventually having a good stand of vegetation I won't be able to broadcast seed through. The plate on my tow behind is only 12-18" off the ground :/

Live and learn lol
My Herd attaches vie my 2" receivers on my UTV. front or back. I also have a 2" receiver on a Quick Attach plate that mounts on my tractors loader. I just may mount the Herd Seeder on that and put the loader about 8 feet high......and speed into existing tall cover crops when overseeing rye this fall. Could also do the same for clover. I could make the Herd sling mostly to one side and kinda side dress the seed. I suppose I could do that with fertilizer too.....and not drive thru the standing crops.

Mostly I would do this where I cannot drill the crops due to high crops and driving it down.

My Herd attaches vie my 2" receivers on my UTV. front or back. I also have a 2" receiver on a Quick Attach plate that mounts on my tractors loader. I just may mount the Herd Seeder on that and put the loader about 8 feet high......and speed into existing tall cover crops when overseeing rye this fall. Could also do the same for clover. I could make the Herd sling mostly to one side and kinda side dress the seed. I suppose I could do that with fertilizer too.....and not drive thru the standing crops.
Sounds like an ideal setup my friend! I only have a 4 wheeler but it does have a rear hitch receiver so it might work. Do you have a link to your spreader by chance?

The spreader Hillrunner posted from Tractor Supply looks descent and $200 isn't too bad price wise.

Sounds like an ideal setup my friend! I only have a 4 wheeler but it does have a rear hitch receiver so it might work. Do you have a link to your spreader by chance?

The spreader Hillrunner posted from Tractor Supply looks descent and $200 isn't too bad price wise.
Check the Herd / Kasco website. Kasco bought Herd a few years back. If your looking for a low price....this is not your deal.

I have a Herd GT77. By installing the "small seed plate" I'm able to seed as low as a few lbs / acre. Great for clover and brasica. Most seeders wont do that very well. Like most machinery....I have had some love/hate times with the Herd. It's allot of money for a seed slinger....but I think I have owned it for 12 years and it works better than ever. I've kinda "dorked" around with things to make it work the way I wanted it to do things.

For example...They have a bit of a wonky shut-off (no stop) and so if you use it roughly (as you will with the rope pulls) you push the nipple off the agitator mount and spill seed all over the place. Some of those seeds are expensive......and it can really ruin your day losing all the seed you have. I made a simple / positive shut off after I did that number a few times.....and now its good. One would think Herd could incorporate that into their seeder and not piss off their customers.....dont you think?? grin. it's all good. (If I were Herd......I would listen to folks like me....lol).

Last edited: