ATV Spreaders - how fancy to get?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I need to up my game a little this year. I need something that can spread up to 6 bushels in the spring, and potentially 6 bushels in late summer. Not going to do fertilizer, lime, gypsum etc. Just 6 bushels of cereal grains. Would like to front mount on my wheeler if possible. What's your pick for my need? Does it need to be the best, or is there one good enough for that little bit of use?

For cereal grains, just about any ATV spreader will do well. The more expensive ones like Herd do better with controlling small seed like clover or brassica when planting it without a carrier.

I got a buyers one, regreted putting lime/fertilizer in it. I did flush it out with water, blew it out, and WD40'd it the last 2 times. Fertilizer and lime are quite conductive, the commutator and brushes get bridged with the chemical and DC electricty corrdes the bare metal spots quickly. Think the model was the ATVS100. Bought a tow behind drop spreader for lime and fertilizer for the ATV.

However, just grains, you'd be OK for a long time. You can get a spare motor for about 20-25 bucks, if you think you need one in case. Small seeds, the ones with a sngle opening will either pour them alot or be barely open and sproadic. Mixing small and large seeds, do about 1/4 to 1/3 of the hopper, then sitr it around. The small seeds will wander down to the bottom on the pile.

Spreading grains should be ok, it'll clog from time to time, maybe once a hopper full, might of been me not having it open enough. Spreading in tall stuff from upfront can be a handful. I have mowed grass high, then spread, then mowed it low. Rear spreading is best, but you need to keep an eye on it,

I got a buyers one, regreted putting lime/fertilizer in it. I did flush it out with water, blew it out, and WD40'd it the last 2 times. Fertilizer and lime are quite conductive, the commutator and brushes get bridged with the chemical and DC electricty corrdes the bare metal spots quickly. Think the model was the ATVS100. Bought a tow behind drop spreader for lime and fertilizer for the ATV.

However, just grains, you'd be OK for a long time. You can get a spare motor for about 20-25 bucks, if you think you need one in case. Small seeds, the ones with a sngle opening will either pour them alot or be barely open and sproadic. Mixing small and large seeds, do about 1/4 to 1/3 of the hopper, then sitr it around. The small seeds will wander down to the bottom on the pile.

Spreading grains should be ok, it'll clog from time to time, maybe once a hopper full, might of been me not having it open enough. Spreading in tall stuff from upfront can be a handful. I have mowed grass high, then spread, then mowed it low. Rear spreading is best, but you need to keep an eye on it,

I’ve got one of the buyers ones too.

Buyers Products ATVS100 ATV All-Purpose Broadcast Spreader 100 lbs. Capacity with Rain Cover , Black https://a.co/d/bQYlnXu
Not a thing disguises the cheapness and low quality but I’ve spread pel lime, fertilizer, and a few bags of rye with it the past couple years and it has worked fine. When reading reviews it seemed like I could spend a lot more and still get junk so I got the one with decent reviews that I wouldn’t cry about throwing away.

Last edited:
For cereal grains, just about any ATV spreader will do well. The more expensive ones like Herd do better with controlling small seed like clover or brassica when planting it without a carrier.
Yeah, I don't need precision. I do the small seeds with my blower spreader. I just need crude flinging for 3/bushels to the ac cereal spreading. And that doesn't even have to be close, because I'm gonna have about a 500% seeding rate out there after all the cheap seed is added in.

I have usd the Fimco spreader for about 8 years now. Spread anything from small seed to grains. I s[read about 20 bushels of WR in the fall with it. Has worked well and has adjustable snner plate spreed control.

I've owned a Herd for about 10 years. Mounted to a receiver on the front. I put a small seed plate in mine.....and can spread clover down to a few lbs / acre.....or rye up to 100 lbs / acre. I have done some fertilizers on occasion...but steer clear for the most part. Kinda spendy for what they are, but seem good.

Last edited:
SD.....do you have a 2" receiver on the front of that wheeler?

SD.....do you have a 2" receiver on the front of that wheeler?

I don’t. Should I get one? I don’t have a receiver on the back either. That’s one of the things I wonder about, how to mount them things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t. Should I get one? I don’t have a receiver on the back either. That’s one of the things I wonder about, how to mount them things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure of your wheeler brand / model. I put a KFI front mount receiver on my UTV and it has one on the back. Give me your make and model and lets see if one is available for you. I could be persuaded to loan you my Herd GT77 for a few days if you want to try it. I WELDED up a reciever mount (via GRID power) for the GT 77 so it would be a universal fit if you have a receiver. At one time I had some rack mounts for my wheeler rear racks......and they were a PITA..

For large seeds and fertilizer I use a pull behind Agri-Fab spreader that I purchased at Fleet Farm for around $200. It works so well I have one at home and at the cabin so I don't have to haul it back and forth. The spreading mechanism is gear driven when the wheels turn, so there is no motor or wires to worry about. That spreader doesn't work well for small seeds though.

For small seeds I use a Mountrie spreader that mounts on the front or back rack. I planted 8 acres of CRP using that spreader and it worked great. I believe that was about $150 or so.

Not sure of your wheeler brand / model. I put a KFI front mount receiver on my UTV and it has one on the back. Give me your make and model and lets see if one is available for you. I could be persuaded to loan you my Herd GT77 for a few days if you want to try it. I WELDED up a reciever mount (via GRID power) for the GT 77 so it would be a universal fit if you have a receiver. At one time I had some rack mounts for my wheeler rear racks......and they were a PITA..
I've got a 2020 Can Am Outlander 570 XT.

For large seeds and fertilizer I use a pull behind Agri-Fab spreader that I purchased at Fleet Farm for around $200. It works so well I have one at home and at the cabin so I don't have to haul it back and forth. The spreading mechanism is gear driven when the wheels turn, so there is no motor or wires to worry about. That spreader doesn't work well for small seeds though.

For small seeds I use a Mountrie spreader that mounts on the front or back rack. I planted 8 acres of CRP using that spreader and it worked great. I believe that was about $150 or so.
Where did you get your moultrie spreader?

I've got the buyers cheapo. It works great for cereals. The fertilizer/lime is hard on it but it's still cranking after 3 years. I want to get another one but I'm not sure $500 is justified for a fancy one so I'll probably go as cheap as possible and use one for seed strictly and keep using the old one for fert/lime.

Where did you get your moultrie spreader?
I ordered online from Tractor Supply Company. I like having it mounted on the front rack of the ATV so I can watch the seed flow and make adjustments if necessary. I only used that for small seeds though, but it would also work fine for larger seeds as well since it is a solid design. The hopper only holds about 50 pounds though, so if you are spreading hundreds of pounds you will have to fill up more.

Foggy,

That herd spreader looks real nice, is it a GT-77? Got a few pics of it.

When I was researching I did see a handful of people advise not to spend good money unless getting the herd model. Nobody had them in stock or I would have gone that direction. I’m glad I didn’t because it gets used almost entirely for fertilizer.

I have the buyers spreader also. Several thousand lbs of pelletized lime through it the last couple years and a few hundred lbs of fertilizer. All my cereals get layered over brassicas with a bag spreader in September so I have no experience with seed through my buyers atv spreader.

Have yet to clean it and still works great, never an issue. Spreaders and sprayers are similar in that they almost all have some sort of issues. I’d rather have issues with cheaper products. Less painful to replace.

Last edited: