Apple trees for Northern ND & N. Minn.

Haralson is one I will plant next year, love the fact they load up almost every year and ripen late

Normally my Haralred are always heavy producers, but not this year. MacIntosh was way down this year too. But my wolf river and cortland had above average year. Must have been a weird spring.

Cultivated Apple Varieties Recommended for Minnesota

Normally my Haralred are always heavy producers, but not this year. MacIntosh was way down this year too. But my wolf river and cortland had above average year. Must have been a weird spring.

Cultivated Apple Varieties Recommended for Minnesota

Only thing I question in that link is the statement that only two trees can provide plenty of apples. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I question in that link is the statement that only two trees can provide plenty of apples. ;)
Agreed, two trees is barely a start, but the article is titled "Growing apples in the home garden". I have the space, and always seem to want more trees, more varieties.:emoji_wink:

^^^^ You're hooked. It's all over but the hole-digging. ( Sucker speaking from experience. )

I saw Kindercrisp was on the list, definitely would like to plant one or two in MN. I have heard good things.

I did find this webpage saying that KinderKrisp is resistant to Scab, Fireblight, Powdery mildew, and Rust.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/224993/#b

It's been my experience that Daves Garden shouldn't be trusted. Any of us can add info there with no verification required.

-John

I saw Kindercrisp was on the list, definitely would like to plant one or two in MN. I have heard good things.

861ca83005680b15e0dd8f036b291a81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was published in local paper today. List of varieties for MN & ND.

* Hazen (Aug. 25). An NDSU introduction. Large, dark red, sweet and mild fruit. Natural dwarf only grows to 12 feet with age. Keeps two to four weeks in refrigerated storage.
* State Fair (Aug. 30). Crisp, juicy, sweet-tart flavor. Stores one month.
* KinderKrisp (Aug. 30). New apple, offspring of Honeycrisp, earlier ripening with smaller-sized fruit ideal for lunchboxes. Very sweet. Stores for up to two months.
* Zestar (Sept. 5). Large fruit, crunchy, nice balance of sweet and tart. Good storage life for an early apple: two months or longer.
* SweeTango (Sept. 5). Medium-large fruit, sweet-tart blend with a hint of spice. Stores three to four months.
* Prairie Magic (Sept. 15). Yellow skin with red blush. Crisp, sweet flesh. Developed in Canada and very winter hardy.
* Sweet Sixteen (Sept. 15). Red, medium-sized fruit with a spicy sweet flavor and rich aroma. Keeps one to two months in storage.
* Honeycrisp (Sept. 25). Crisp flesh with an appealing flavor. Excellent storage life of up to seven months under refrigeration. Not as winter hardy as some varieties for the northernmost third of North Dakota and Minnesota.
* Frostbite (Sept. 30). Intensely sweet, firm and juicy. Very winter hardy. Stores three to four months.
* Haralson (Oct. 10). Longtime favorite for winter hardiness. Enjoyed by those who like tart flavor. One of the best pie apples. Stores four or five months.
* Haralred (Oct. 10). A redder-fruited version of Haralson with similar characteristics.
* Fireside (Oct. 15). Large fruit, sweet with fine-grained flesh. Stores four months.
* Connell Red (Oct. 15). A redder-skinned version of Fireside.
* SnowSweet (Oct. 15). Low acid, sweet flavor. Flesh is amazingly slow to brown when cut, making it valuable for sliced apples. Keeps four months in storage.
* Honeygold (Oct.15). Our winter-hardy answer to Golden Delicious. Crisp and Juicy. Stores three months.
Not surprising many of these cultivars are list for Minnesota since they were develop by the University of Minnesota breeding team under the guidance of Professor David Bedford. Most have been extensively tested in Minnesota for winter-hardiness. The list is a comprehensive listing of what I think are some of the best cultivars for our Northern Climate here in Northwestern Vermont.

That's where that lady was from that died on her way to Climax, MN.

Fertile woman dies in Climax... LOL

Still an all time MN favorite , an actual headline too.